The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Does UCL consider 0.5 short in IELTS writing module for meeting conditions.?

I get a conditional offer from UCL.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by misusurvey
I get a conditional offer from UCL in MSc Systems and Software Engineering for session September 2019. The condition is to provide Good level English Language Proficiency (ELP) such as for IELTS Overall:7 minimum 6.5 in each subset.
Recently, I have appeared IELTS test on 22 June 2019 and obtained an Overall 7 with (Listening=8, Reading=7, Speaking=6.5 & Writing=6). According to UCL Good Level English Language Proficiency requirement, I am just in a sort of half-band only in the writing module. However, on 20th October 2018, I appeared IELTS test and scored an Overall 6.5 with (Listening=6, Reading=6, Speaking=6.5 & Writing=6.5). I have improved almost in all modules with the overall score but slightly missed half a band in writing module

So I am confused whether UCL considers my score for meeting the condition.

I am running out of time as I am also selected for Commonwealth Scholarship. So, it makes difficult for me to retake the test. I have to confirm my admission by 31st July 2019 for acquiring the scholarship.

Your valuable opinion is appreciable.
-

If they say in each subset then they probably won't budge on it, you have to contact them to be sure.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Some Unis will accept a half point below - and expect you to do either a pre-sessional English course on campus, or an intensive English course alongside everything else in your first term. Or, they may say 'go and retake it' before August. The only way you'll find out is by contacting that Uni - no-one here can give you a definite yes or no.
Reply 3
Hey there, I got the same problem with my IELTS results a few days ago. UCL asked for a "Good" level and I got a 6.0/9.0 in writing, with 8.5/9.0 overall. I contacted Postgraduate Admissions asking for a waiver and they replied in 3 days, telling me they had sent my request to the department (Computer Science). The waiver was accepted yesterday (after only 24 hours of waiting), and UCL now considers that my English language condition has been satisfied. Don't lose hope!
Original post by misusurvey
I get a conditional offer from UCL in MSc Systems and Software Engineering for session September 2019. The condition is to provide Good level English Language Proficiency (ELP) such as for IELTS Overall:7 minimum 6.5 in each subset.
Recently, I have appeared IELTS test on 22 June 2019 and obtained an Overall 7 with (Listening=8, Reading=7, Speaking=6.5 & Writing=6). According to UCL Good Level English Language Proficiency requirement, I am just in a sort of half-band only in the writing module. However, on 20th October 2018, I appeared IELTS test and scored an Overall 6.5 with (Listening=6, Reading=6, Speaking=6.5 & Writing=6.5). I have improved almost in all modules with the overall score but slightly missed half a band in writing module

So I am confused whether UCL considers my score for meeting the condition.

I am running out of time as I am also selected for Commonwealth Scholarship. So, it makes difficult for me to retake the test. I have to confirm my admission by 31st July 2019 for acquiring the scholarship.

Your valuable opinion is appreciable.
-

May I know if you managed to get into UCL with that IELTS result? I’m curious
Reply 5
Hey! I am having the same issue now, I've mailed to the UCL post-grad admission and still waiting for a reply. May I know is there anything I can do to reach out to them to ask for consideration
Reply 6
Original post by Raghul
Hey! I am having the same issue now, I've mailed to the UCL post-grad admission and still waiting for a reply. May I know is there anything I can do to reach out to them to ask for consideration

This thread is 2 years old, OP hasn't posted in TSR since 2019, when they posted in this thread last. You're unlikely to get a response. Try and avoid bumping old threads!
Reply 7
Is anyone sending a work experience certificate to UCL to satisfy English language requirements?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending