Can't stop stalking exes' exes and new girlfriends Watch

Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I don't really stalk any of my ex bfs because I'm not that interested in what they're doing and I'm over them. I also currently have a boyfriend of 9 months.
However I seem to still be hung up on the girls they're associated with and I stalk them regularly (mostly on instagram).

To give you an idea:

Ex bf from 5 years ago (mutual breakup) - still v. regularly stalk his ex from just before we dated and his current gf who he started dating after me

Ex bf from 3 years ago (he dumped me) - still sometimes stalk some pretty girls he was v close friends with when we dated, and regularly stalk 2 girls he had flings with after we broke up

2 guys I was speaking to (I ended things) - occasionally stalk their exes

1 guy I went on a couple dates with (he ghosted me) - regularly stalk the girl who replaced me when he went on holiday

I probably would stalk my current boyfriend's ex but her social media is very private

In total that's around 9 girls.

Like I said, I don't really look at my ex boyfriends but I can't seem to stop comparing myself to these girls. It's like I'm trying to torture myself. I've tried blocking them so I can't look but I don't have the willpower. But it's quite worrying that I'm so obsessed with them. It'd also be terrible if my current boyfriend found out.

Any one else do this? It's become a habit that I can't break and when I think of one girl to stalk, the rest pop into my head and I check them all. I guess they're the girls who have made me jealous/insecure in the past and I can't seem to let it go. Even my current boyfriend's brother's girlfriend. She's quite pretty and I keep comparing myself to her.
HoldThisL
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
what are you asking here?

if you think you have a problem, you should see a psychologist. they might be able to identify an underlying belief of inadequacy or lack of self esteem
Ellaroselilly01
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I get what you mean- we're human and nearly everyone seems to stalk their exes for a while because it's this feeling that we want to know what they're doing and if their life is better etc. Like the comment above said, you may have low self esteem or become very emotionally attached. I don't know why you would want to stalk them in the sense of a physiological reason. Whenever I get the urge I just delete the apps but I allow myself to look at their profiles every couple of months otherwise I might go insane. If you delete apps for a couple of months you find yourself not even thinking about doing it! But what you're doing is very unhealthy so I suggest you find some way to try and stop it. Hope you do! xx
Sammylou40
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You’re subconsciously comparing yourself to the other girls. It’s not healthy and if it goes too far will get you in trouble.
You need to break the habit. When you’re tempted, do something else and put your phone down. You probably need to speak to a professional to deal with the underlying issues
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (160)
17.66%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.61%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.6%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.13%

Watched Threads