'No seat' for disabled Janelle Monae Manchester gig-goer despite ticket Watch

-Eirlys-
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
A disabled fan who booked an access ticket for R&B star Janelle Monae may not get a seat, she has been told.

Virginie Assal, who has a serious back condition, booked the ticket in 2018 so she could sit down, but the seats have now become "first come, first served".

She has to arrive early to get a seat at the 4 July concert at Manchester International Festival (MIF).

MIF said access was a "priority" and it had made adjustments to accommodate as many disabled people as possible.
However, it has emerged only provisions for wheelchair-users are guaranteed.

Ms Assal, who has a serious back condition and is the diversity and liberation co-ordinator at the University of Manchester, which focuses on inclusivity, says this is the first time a concert in the UK has not been accessible to her.

Read more here.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by -Eirlys-)
A disabled fan who booked an access ticket for R&B star Janelle Monae may not get a seat, she has been told.

Virginie Assal, who has a serious back condition, booked the ticket in 2018 so she could sit down, but the seats have now become "first come, first served".

She has to arrive early to get a seat at the 4 July concert at Manchester International Festival (MIF).

MIF said access was a "priority" and it had made adjustments to accommodate as many disabled people as possible.
However, it has emerged only provisions for wheelchair-users are guaranteed.

Ms Assal, who has a serious back condition and is the diversity and liberation co-ordinator at the University of Manchester, which focuses on inclusivity, says this is the first time a concert in the UK has not been accessible to her.

Read more here.
f she is disabled then she comes under the equality act and should report the to the equality commission.
z-hog
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
In a statement to the BBC, MIF said: "MIF does not manage or run the venue. We have made reasonable adjustments within the constraints of an outdoor standing event, with limited capacity space, to accommodate as many disabled people as possible.

"We are not offering a 'first-come, first-served assistance policy' as suggested, we offer the same opportunity to book tickets and select access preferences to everyone."

MIF said it has 40 unreserved seats available for use in its access area at Castlefield Bowl.

Can't she take one of those 40 seats?
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
How is it not accessible to her? They explicitly said it is she just has to arrive in time?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (150)
17.71%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.85%
No I am happy with my course choice (501)
59.15%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.29%

Watched Threads