snap_dragon99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

In the last few months my circumstances have changed a lot and I'm not sure what forms I need to fill out as whenever I call student finance I get a difference answers every time.

My parents decided to move to a country within the EU and I'm staying in the UK as I'm 2 years into a university course. I myself will not have a bank account or anything in this EU country and will be changing all my bank addresses to my student residence. Because my family have moved country right now they don't have jobs and are not certain of any money they will be receiving as they are yet to apply for state benefits (this looks likely to be what they will do but, but if a jobs comes up they might apply for them). When I initially filled out my new student finance forms for 2019/2020, none of this was happening and everything only changed after I had started the application.

My mum and myself have called student finance with regards to this situation and they told me and her that all she needed to do was fill out the previous tax year details and when she gets more financial information she is to fill in a CYI form. I was told to change my address on my account to my student residence and that I may be entitled to receive a grant due to my circumstance. I was not told that I had to fill in any forms just change my address.

All of this happened about 2 months ago and when I received my entitlement summary I was receiving the minimum amount due to lack of details. My step fathers details had gone missing in the post, so my mum had to re send the forms which she did. I called about a month ago asking why there was no update and the answer I got was that it was processing, fair enough its a busy time.

I called today to ask about it because still no update, and I got told that she had to fill out a CYI form as she has now moved country and that I have to fill out a non-means tested to means tested form (which is not easy to find).

So my question is: Is this correct? I'm very confused and frustrated as no one seems to be able to give the right information. I'm confused about the nmttomt form as I don't think I qualify as an independent student
Ferne SFE
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by snap_dragon99)
Hi,

In the last few months my circumstances have changed a lot and I'm not sure what forms I need to fill out as whenever I call student finance I get a difference answers every time.

My parents decided to move to a country within the EU and I'm staying in the UK as I'm 2 years into a university course. I myself will not have a bank account or anything in this EU country and will be changing all my bank addresses to my student residence. Because my family have moved country right now they don't have jobs and are not certain of any money they will be receiving as they are yet to apply for state benefits (this looks likely to be what they will do but, but if a jobs comes up they might apply for them). When I initially filled out my new student finance forms for 2019/2020, none of this was happening and everything only changed after I had started the application.

My mum and myself have called student finance with regards to this situation and they told me and her that all she needed to do was fill out the previous tax year details and when she gets more financial information she is to fill in a CYI form. I was told to change my address on my account to my student residence and that I may be entitled to receive a grant due to my circumstance. I was not told that I had to fill in any forms just change my address.

All of this happened about 2 months ago and when I received my entitlement summary I was receiving the minimum amount due to lack of details. My step fathers details had gone missing in the post, so my mum had to re send the forms which she did. I called about a month ago asking why there was no update and the answer I got was that it was processing, fair enough its a busy time.

I called today to ask about it because still no update, and I got told that she had to fill out a CYI form as she has now moved country and that I have to fill out a non-means tested to means tested form (which is not easy to find).

So my question is: Is this correct? I'm very confused and frustrated as no one seems to be able to give the right information. I'm confused about the nmttomt form as I don't think I qualify as an independent student
Hi there,

Sorry you are experiencing difficulty with this. The 'non means tested to means tested' form is not used to confirm independent status but is used to make sure we can include household income information in your assessment if you had only applied for the minimum funding previously.

Based on the details you have provided it would be best if you could send us a private message on Facebook or Twitter and include your name and Customer Reference Number (CRN). One of our advisors will then be able to check the progress of your application and confirm which information we will need.

Kind regards, Ferne
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (59)
29.06%
No (144)
70.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed