Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking at the menu for a sushi restaurant I'm going to tonight.. and I'm so confused!!

What is the difference between nigiri, sashimi, maki, futomaki, gunkan, and iso?? I like Californian style sushi and tuna, salmon, and prawn sushi.. but I'm willing to go a little wild and try something new...

Can anyone recommend me what I should try tonight and what all the above types of sushi actually are??

ReputationRep:
    sashimi is raw fish, usually things like raw tuna or salmon on rice. Nigiri, as far as I can remember, are the small tube-like ones wrapped in seaweed (I think). Not sure about the others, though I've more than likely had them before. Most sushi is nice, but if you're unsure as to what something is, ask the waiter/waitress. Oh, and teriyaki is lovely, it's like a sweet marinade on chicken or salmon (or other stuff) usually served hot.

Try google as well, it'll probably be out there somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cooro)
    sashimi is raw fish, usually things like raw tuna or salmon on rice. Nigiri, as far as I can remember, are the small tube-like ones wrapped in seaweed (I think).
    Sorry that's wrong...

Sashimi is just raw fish- very nice imo
    Nigiri is the raw fish on top of rice

There is a nice simple guide here:

http://www.novospace.com/channels/sushi/types.asp

ReputationRep:
    Oops. It's been a while since I had sushi Thanks for the correction. I meant Maki, not Nigiri for the roll ones.

ReputationRep:
    Just grab everything and eat it. I went to Moshi Moshi in Brighton at the weekend and stuffed myself

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.