Knightrises10
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Can I get some tips for Cambridge A Further Mathematics. I'll appearnin two sits (AS and A2). Is it possible to get an A in Further Mathematics, considering that I did not study Additional Mathematics in IGCSE?
InsaneTekkers
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Of course it is GCSE is irrelevant just learn the content
Boop.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
You definitely do not need IGCSE Additional Maths to study Further Maths. To get an A in Further Maths you will need to practice a lot just like with Maths.
Knightrises10
Rep:
?
Thanks
username4858300
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Good news for you!
CIE syllabus has changed for Further Maths in 2020 and the biggest advantage is that you’re gonna be able to get access to a textbook. In my year, there is no textbook and we had to rely on other exam boards’ textbooks and CIE past papers. But past papers in my opinion can be really helpful although in your year, the format might change. And you can take both AS and A2 for further maths unlike in the old spec. Check this out! I brought this from a web search.

The assessment of the CAIE AS and A Level Maths from 2020 is based on options from 4 written papers that are outlined below.

Students must take 2 units for the AS Level qualification or 4 units for the full A Level qualification. Components are:

Paper 1: Further Pure Mathematics 1

Paper 2: Further Pure Mathematics 2

Paper 3: Further Mechanics

Paper 4: Further Probability and Statistics

I did not do any GCSE further maths. ( Actually I didn’t even do GCSE ) But ended up with an A ( 2 marks away from A* with those insane thresholds).
If you want more sources, you can check out Further Pure Mathematics by R. Bostock, P. Rourke, S. Chandler on Amazon or at Waterstones (if you are in the UK) or anywhere else lol. Practice more papers and do less silly mistakes then you can even get an A*. Hope this helps!
Knightrises10
Rep:
?
That's pretty impressive. Thanks And yeah, currently there are three publishers (collins, hodder and Cambridge) for the textbooks.
(Original post by Slugkitty)
Good news for you!
CIE syllabus has changed for Further Maths in 2020 and the biggest advantage is that you’re gonna be able to get access to a textbook. In my year, there is no textbook and we had to rely on other exam boards’ textbooks and CIE past papers. But past papers in my opinion can be really helpful although in your year, the format might change. And you can take both AS and A2 for further maths unlike in the old spec. Check this out! I brought this from a web search.

The assessment of the CAIE AS and A Level Maths from 2020 is based on options from 4 written papers that are outlined below.

Students must take 2 units for the AS Level qualification or 4 units for the full A Level qualification. Components are:

I did not do any GCSE further maths. ( Actually I didn’t even do GCSE ) But ended up with an A ( 2 marks away from A* with those insane thresholds).
If you want more sources, you can check out Further Pure Mathematics by R. Bostock, P. Rourke, S. Chandler on Amazon or at Waterstones (if you are in the UK) or anywhere else lol. Practice more papers and do less silly mistakes then you can even get an A*. Hope this helps!
Knightrises10
Rep:
?
Btw, do you think self study is possible for further maths, or should I get some classes?
(Original post by Slugkitty)
Good news for you!

username4858300
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Well, I did some of the pure topics myself during summer mainly things like Mathematical Induction, Matrices, Further Complex numbers, Polar Coordinates, Hyperbolic Functions, which I find quite straightforward. You can also study vectors in 3D yourself if you’re good at imagining in 3D ( I’m not that good tho lol ). I would suggest you to get some help from teachers for applied maths. Specific topics like hypothesis testing can be something that doesn’t make sense without someone to explain ( at least in my case ). But who knows, you might be a genius with clear mind. I would suggest you to try for yourself during summer and then test yourself on the ones you’ve learned and see ur confidence level. If 👎🏻, then might be better off with a teacher.
(Original post by Knightrises10)
Btw, do you think self study is possible for further maths, or should I get some classes?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (52)
60.47%
No (34)
39.53%

Watched Threads