advice- I'm losing confidence Watch

missingh1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hey guys!! Ok so first off just wanted to say I go to an IB school which gets incredibly high scores- a lot of my friends are predicted 43+ so my 'ideal IB score' dream is skewed!

I got my predicted grades back. They are lower than I would've hoped overall. 766 in HL (I take English, History and Latin) and all SL 666 (math standard, chem, econ). I had glandular fever for the majority of the year which kinda disrupted my school life- I was off school a lot and just got really tired all the time! Trying to get these grades pushed up if i work really hard over the summer! I wanted to apply for Oxford for English but realistically do you guys think I should bother applying? There are so many 45s out there applying for the same spot and I'm just losing faith in my abilities.

I know there are other universities out there but I never really thought I would make it this far (almost Oxbridge level) so maybe I should do something with the work I've put in?
sleepingmonarch
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm really sorry to hear about your predicament...
Firstly, don't lose faith in your abilities! You're a really high-scoring student, so don't let the predicted grades of your classmates get you down. You put in a lot of hard work, despite your difficulties and you should be proud of that. Remember that predicteds don't necessarily translate into what you'll eventually get, so your grades could very well improve over the next year.

That being said, now is a perfect time to reflect on your university choices and be strategic. Do you really want to go there, or is it because of prestige, fear of missing out, unrealistic expectations placed onto you by family, friends or yourself? If it's any one of these, it really isn't worth the extra hassle imo. I was in your position a last year, where I felt compelled to apply to schools with high entry requirements because of what my predicteds looked like; it felt like it was something I 'needed' to do. Your happiness should be your #1 priority and in that regard you shouldn't apply to a university just because of what it is; the quality of the course and your general feeling towards life there (e.g. in terms of extracurriculars, suitability to the atmosphere there, location, opportunities...) should come first.

Above all, you need to have your eye on the admissions requirements. Do they weigh offers more on academics or on admissions tests/other requirements? This is really the make-or-break factor. It's why even IB 45s get rejected in the first place. If the focus is on academic score, you could be at a disadvantage. But if there are other elements to selection that you're sure you could excel in, by all means, go ahead and apply! In my experience, I've avoided applying to schools that exactly meet my predicteds, as if for some reason I were to lose a point in the finals, it could completely ruin the application. That being said, I have known many people who do this and still get in. Just depends on the risk you're willing to take.

Understand what they want from you, and play to your strengths. Idk how it works for English courses, but in general, your top choice should be somewhere that is somewhat riskier, however definitely achievable. If you're already starting to doubt yourself, I advise you ask yourself why and take time to reevaluate.

Whatever you do, do not sacrifice your physical/mental wellbeing for getting into a university! Your health and happiness comes first. In the end, the decision is up to you, and I wish you the best
(Original post by missingh1)
Hey guys!! Ok so first off just wanted to say I go to an IB school which gets incredibly high scores- a lot of my friends are predicted 43+ so my 'ideal IB score' dream is skewed!

I got my predicted grades back. They are lower than I would've hoped overall. 766 in HL (I take English, History and Latin) and all SL 666 (math standard, chem, econ). I had glandular fever for the majority of the year which kinda disrupted my school life- I was off school a lot and just got really tired all the time! Trying to get these grades pushed up if i work really hard over the summer! I wanted to apply for Oxford for English but realistically do you guys think I should bother applying? There are so many 45s out there applying for the same spot and I'm just losing faith in my abilities.

I know there are other universities out there but I never really thought I would make it this far (almost Oxbridge level) so maybe I should do something with the work I've put in?
missingh1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
thank you so much for this response! I really appreciate the advice and kind words. I am seeing the open day tomorrow and another open day (Durham) which I am more excited to see?! I think tomorrow will give me a clear understanding on whether it is right for me. It will be tricky telling my parents if I don't want to apply, but I am sure they will be understanding!

I'll keep working hard with the IB to try and get better grades than my predicted
(Original post by sleepingmonarch)
I'm really sorry to hear about your predicament...
Firstly, don't lose faith in your abilities! You're a really high-scoring student, so don't let the predicted grades of your classmates get you down. You put in a lot of hard work, despite your difficulties and you should be proud of that. Remember that predicteds don't necessarily translate into what you'll eventually get, so your grades could very well improve over the next year.

That being said, now is a perfect time to reflect on your university choices and be strategic. Do you really want to go there, or is it because of prestige, fear of missing out, unrealistic expectations placed onto you by family, friends or yourself? If it's any one of these, it really isn't worth the extra hassle imo. I was in your position a last year, where I felt compelled to apply to schools with high entry requirements because of what my predicteds looked like; it felt like it was something I 'needed' to do. Your happiness should be your #1 priority and in that regard you shouldn't apply to a university just because of what it is; the quality of the course and your general feeling towards life there (e.g. in terms of extracurriculars, suitability to the atmosphere there, location, opportunities...) should come first.

Above all, you need to have your eye on the admissions requirements. Do they weigh offers more on academics or on admissions tests/other requirements? This is really the make-or-break factor. It's why even IB 45s get rejected in the first place. If the focus is on academic score, you could be at a disadvantage. But if there are other elements to selection that you're sure you could excel in, by all means, go ahead and apply! In my experience, I've avoided applying to schools that exactly meet my predicteds, as if for some reason I were to lose a point in the finals, it could completely ruin the application. That being said, I have known many people who do this and still get in. Just depends on the risk you're willing to take.

Understand what they want from you, and play to your strengths. Idk how it works for English courses, but in general, your top choice should be somewhere that is somewhat riskier, however definitely achievable. If you're already starting to doubt yourself, I advise you ask yourself why and take time to reevaluate.

Whatever you do, do not sacrifice your physical/mental wellbeing for getting into a university! Your health and happiness comes first. In the end, the decision is up to you, and I wish you the best
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby