mimiqween
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hey i was wondering what peoples opinions are on doing english for a-level as in gcses it is my strongest subject (i got a 9 last year in language a year early and i will be really disappointed if i dont get a 9 this year in lit) it just looks so boring and confusing. is it really difficult??? how have other people found it. i will put what i got sent down below it really put me off idk. (btw i can use grammar dont judge me i cant be bothered)

edit: also if any of u are doing scicology/sociology which did you prefer and find more interesting

FOR THOSE WISHING TO STUDY ENGLISH LITERATURE AT ‘A’ LEVEL

September 2019

We welcome any student on the English Literature ‘A’ level course who is prepared to work hard and who gains a B grade or above in both English and English literature IGCSEs. Those of you for whom English is a second language should generally be cautious about choosing English literature ‘A’ level as it requires the ability to read some very demanding texts.

Below are a list of books that it would be very useful for you to read in addition to Tess of the D’Urbervilles and A Thousand Splendid Suns.

Congratulations on choosing to study English Literature ‘A’ Level. You will find it a challenging by enjoyable course which teaches many of the critical thinking skills necessary for university education.

We follow the Edexcel syllabus which comprises four modules and requires you to study eight texts in total.

The purpose of this letter is to outline the course details and to set you some pre-course reading tasks. In addition, we are also providing a list of desired reading. ‘A’ level examiners will expect to see references to books, including critical and biographical works, other than those that are set. The more you read, the more insightful and perceptive you will become. It will develop your appreciation of the literary canon and allow you to make some discerning connections yourself.
Last edited by mimiqween; 1 year ago
mimiqween
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
bump
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
if it looks boring to you, don't pick it. pick a levels you'll enjoy otherwise you'll be in hell.
i'm currently in year 12 doing a level english lit and it's a lot of work- always got reading to be doing and practice essays i could be writing; exam technique needs to be really good too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads