The Student Room Group

Stigma around people not caring about the Women's World Cup

If you've been around TSR for the past few weeks you'll have seen the arguments between two types of people, one, thinks that the women's world cup is not of much if any importance, the other, thinks that women's sports should be just as celebrated and cared about as men's sports.

To bring my point across, I haven't been following the world cup, I don't know what brought this on, to tell, I have never even heard of the women's world cup till a few weeks ago, and it's been around for almost 3 decades, perhaps it's because I was brought up watching men's football, playing football with my class at school, males, this could very well be the cause behind why I haven't a care in the world for the women's world cup.

To be fair, football is a male occupied sport, there are more men than women interested in sport, now, in 2018, the world cup, more than half the world watched the world cup ( https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/more-than-half-the-world-watched-record-breaking-2018-world-cup ), maybe it's because it's more entertaining, I don't think this is a very good argument, I for one still wouldn't watch it if it were just as entertaining as the men's world cup.

So, what are your thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

u cant force someone to care about something lol.
Original post by RickHendricks
u cant force someone to care about something lol.

Correct, the thread is really aimed at why people don't care, I enjoy analysing actions, especially my own.
Reply 3
It’s great that the sport gets publicity but it’s a nonsense for anyone to pretend that the quality on show is above a good amateur men’s team in England.
You forgot 'People who didn't give a toss about football of any gender before the last few weeks and suddenly die hard care now because social justice innit?.
Original post by StriderHort
You forgot 'People who didn't give a toss about football of any gender before the last few weeks and suddenly die hard care now because social justice innit?.

Too many people to remember.
Reply 6
Original post by TheNamesBond.
To be fair, football is a male occupied sport, there are more men than women interested in sport

While that might be the case now, it hasn't always been true.

During WW1 all the men were away fighting, the women played football and it was huge.

It remained huge after the war, despite the men coming back and the leagues being reinstated.

It remained so big, in fact, and so popular, that people didn't really go back to watch the men's leagues...

...until they decided to ban women's football.

It then went underground and illegal for years, before starting eventually to reclaim legitimacy.

So yeah, it's not as big as the men's game. But that's the men's fault...
(edited 4 years ago)
I don't believe you wrote a whole essay on this. I don't even know what your point is, lol. If you don't care about it, fine. Completely understandable that others want it to have more awareness and attention, I'm not sure what your problem with that is.
Original post by Obolinda
I don't believe you wrote a whole essay on this. I don't even know what your point is, lol. If you don't care about it, fine. Completely understandable that others want it to have more awareness and attention, I'm not sure what your problem with that is.

I don't have a problem with it, I'm allowing room for discussion on an issue I've seen around, and asking why things are the way they are, I'm not judging or discriminating, I'm simply making room for discussion and trying to analyse the issue..lol.
Reply 9
I've actually tried to care, but it didn't happen. The quality of what I was seeing was so far below the male game, it couldn't hold my attention and I couldn't develop any sort of involvement in it.

Same with cricket, watched a bit of it on the BBC (of course) website, and it lacks the feeling of watching people with exceptional skills. More like the cameras accidentally turned up on a village green and decided to broadcast it anyway.
I hate men’s football too lol.
Reply 11
Don't care about international football full stop.
I hate football and both men/women are over paid for kicking a ball for 90 minutes I wish they stop putting it on the BBC
I care about as much as I care about the mens U21 or U18 type tournaments..

Here in China, people went crazy for the world cup last year.. I was watching it on a massive screen down my local football field with tons of families and kids running about and playing, it was great. This year? Nothing.. and that's despite the Chinese men not even qualifying, and yet the Chinese women did!
England are out now, so who cares, absolutely dire to watch. More skill etc watching kids at your local park.
also, I don't buy the quality argument..

In my opinion, 90% of the psychological motivation and hook that keeps football fans interested is a mix between the drama and the feeling of being part of something.

If quality was a key motivation, then all support for lower leagues and lower sides would drop instantly...

In reality the reason most people follow football week in week out is the same core reason people follow soap operas, mixed in with the huge psychological warmth of feeling like you belong to something bigger then yourself. Just go chat with football fans, and you will see.. a tiny tiny amount of the yearly conversation is about the technical skill.. the vast vast majority is about what ever current an ongoing story or drama is unfolding, and in/out group discussions about your club and other clubs. You can remove the skill, and people will still follow it.

---

For me, the biggest reason that most people don't follow it already, is that they have already invested so many years into the male game, and its hard to replicate that and pick up something new. Its why for me its not surprising that the vast majority of my friends who follow the womens game, didn't follow the mens game before. For them its a new interest, but for those who have invested so much time/emotion into the mens game, the motivation to do the same again isn't there. Why do they need to? What is this going to give them that they don't already have in the mens game?

More then that though, when it comes to international games, they feel that the investment they have placed in the mens game is actually threatened by the womens game. They have spent years and years investing time into following the english mens team, and have never seen them win.. The idea that now the womens team may be more succesful? Its a threat to the possition of the team they have been following..

Sexism I am sure does play a role, but I think there is far more going on behind the scenes than just 'we don't like it because they are women'.
Reply 16
The semi last night was the first game I have seen of the WWC.
While the sense of national involvement and jeopardy made it exciting, the football was pretty poor. That penalty - more of a back pass!
Reply 17
Well I for one can't be accused of discrimination, because both men and women's football bore me to tears equally.
Original post by Drewski
While that might be the case now, it hasn't always been true.

During WW2 all the men were away fighting, the women played football and it was huge.

It remained huge after the war, despite the men coming back and the leagues being reinstated.

It remained so big, in fact, and so popular, that people didn't really go back to watch the men's leagues...

...until they decided to ban women's football.

It then went underground and illegal for years, before starting eventually to reclaim legitimacy.

So yeah, it's not as big as the men's game. But that's the men's fault...

Source?
Original post by limetang
Source?

Perfectly possible for you to look it up yourself, but since you're being lazy, try this:
BBC News - WW1: Why was women's football banned?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30329606

And yes, got the war wrong, should have said WW1.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending