I have crap grades from my year 10 mocks. Watch

aMaffia
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I am feeling gutted right now... I have just received some of my results back from my year 10 mocks just about a week ago. I got some of my results back however I do not know what i got in Maths,Biology,Physics,Design&Tec hnology,Geography (partially told I got 9/20 for the Living world which I got upset however I do not know the overall grade yet). I will be getting these results hopefully tommorow and I already feel dissapointed in myself as I know I have failed all these year 10 end of year exams. However, I got 53% in Computer Science. But then I got 18/100 in my Chemistry paper (however, the teacher told me that if you did terrible on the mocks it is alright as it will be averaged out throughout the end of unit exams that we have done). In RS I was surprised to get a grade 3 and I am gutted as my lowest in my RS tests are mostly grade 5s. For my English Lit I got a 4 and was always expected a 6 however this is a terrible grade as I always hit my target grade. For my English Lang I was very surprised and I somehow got 3+, in other words a grade 3 and on the mark sheet it said I was 1 mark off a 4 !!!! I got 41 marks and I needed 42 to get a 4. I am extremely gutted as if I do really bad on tests i usually end up getting grade 4's but to get grade 3's I am actually scared to tell my parents.

I am usually a bright and smart kid who usually gets 6's and above but to get my mock results back and to look at my grade I am really frustrated about it.

I have been doing the same revision throughout the Summer of Year 9 to Now the end of Year 10. I don't want to tell my parents as these are terrible grades and they expect me to get 6's... I am really disappointed. I am nervous about my scores for my other following subjects especially Physics and Maths. I want to do these for A-Level however I have a feeling I failed both. Maths is one of my strongest subjects and I get straight 6's-7's. However for physics my teacher told me if I do terrible on this year 10 mock I will be put into foundation which I do not want to do... I need help

TL;DR I basically failed my mocks with crap grades and not reaching my expected grades and I need help as I am worried if I am going to fail GCSE's 2020.
PetitePanda
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Don't be all stressed about it. Downfalls are always bound to happen but you'll know what to do now from it. You still have this summer and yr 11 to catch up so don't fret and just study harder to get those grades you expected. Mocks are just exams that are a way to see how well you're progressing so thats why your teacher probably said that because its your progress so far but you can change - don't forget that they DONT COUNT towards your grade as the government scrapped that marking unless for coursework, which is unlikely for compulsory subjects.

RS is tricky as it can all come down on interpretation so don't beat yourself up on it and learn more of the common basic explanations towards the question as its not English and you'll get more guaranteed marks.

You don't have to tell your parents because its only a mock, not your actual GCSEs - if you are usually a bright, smart kid then they'll realise its just one of your downfall moments, which you'll get to stand back on your two feet again. Maybe change the way your revising to more efficient beneficial revision so I suggest taking some time to look at revision methods to see which one is best for you because no matter how much you revise, if you want break it down to help you in the exam, it'll be harder for you to remember all of the content or the ones relevant for that question. You still have a year to catch up so I believe you can still do the a levels one; even if you get the minimum entry requirement, at a level its a clean slate as everyone starts the same pace as you (although its beneficial to be confident in your GCSEs content as its your foundation but you can study to catch up will them).

If you revise for physics more and efficiently, you can come back to higher as you can prove them you can still do it in the other mocks but you really need to persuade and give them evidence to back that up. So just don't worry and stress about it now because its only a mock and you have plenty of mocks in the future to help you at the end.
aMaffia
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Thanks for replying, I've been revising off flashcards and making brief notes on the CGP books as part of my revision but I really think thats not effective anymore... (i am also put off the fact I play games as resting time but whenever i want to study my body doesnt want me to do it and i try force myself to revise but most of the time my body rejects to do it. ) anyways however I cannot find any past papers suitable for the topic i am revising do you have advice on past papers and new exam revision techniques you could share? and even stop my gaming habit. I don't use my smartphone very often as it is always turned off anyway btw.
(Original post by PetitePanda)
Don't be all stressed about it. Downfalls are always bound to happen but you'll know what to do now from it. You still have this summer and yr 11 to catch up so don't fret and just study harder to get those grades you expected. Mocks are just exams that are a way to see how well you're progressing so thats why your teacher probably said that because its your progress so far but you can change - don't forget that they DONT COUNT towards your grade as the government scrapped that marking unless for coursework, which is unlikely for compulsory subjects.

RS is tricky as it can all come down on interpretation so don't beat yourself up on it and learn more of the common basic explanations towards the question as its not English and you'll get more guaranteed marks.

You don't have to tell your parents because its only a mock, not your actual GCSEs - if you are usually a bright, smart kid then they'll realise its just one of your downfall moments, which you'll get to stand back on your two feet again. Maybe change the way your revising to more efficient beneficial revision so I suggest taking some time to look at revision methods to see which one is best for you because no matter how much you revise, if you want break it down to help you in the exam, it'll be harder for you to remember all of the content or the ones relevant for that question. You still have a year to catch up so I believe you can still do the a levels one; even if you get the minimum entry requirement, at a level its a clean slate as everyone starts the same pace as you (although its beneficial to be confident in your GCSEs content as its your foundation but you can study to catch up will them).

If you revise for physics more and efficiently, you can come back to higher as you can prove them you can still do it in the other mocks but you really need to persuade and give them evidence to back that up. So just don't worry and stress about it now because its only a mock and you have plenty of mocks in the future to help you at the end.
Last edited by aMaffia; 2 weeks ago
vargvikernes
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by aMaffia)
I am feeling gutted right now... I have just received some of my results back from my year 10 mocks just about a week ago. I got some of my results back however I do not know what i got in Maths,Biology,Physics,Design&Tec hnology,Geography (partially told I got 9/20 for the Living world which I got upset however I do not know the overall grade yet). I will be getting these results hopefully tommorow and I already feel dissapointed in myself as I know I have failed all these year 10 end of year exams. However, I got 53% in Computer Science. But then I got 18/100 in my Chemistry paper (however, the teacher told me that if you did terrible on the mocks it is alright as it will be averaged out throughout the end of unit exams that we have done). In RS I was surprised to get a grade 3 and I am gutted as my lowest in my RS tests are mostly grade 5s. For my English Lit I got a 4 and was always expected a 6 however this is a terrible grade as I always hit my target grade. For my English Lang I was very surprised and I somehow got 3+, in other words a grade 3 and on the mark sheet it said I was 1 mark off a 4 !!!! I got 41 marks and I needed 42 to get a 4. I am extremely gutted as if I do really bad on tests i usually end up getting grade 4's but to get grade 3's I am actually scared to tell my parents.

I am usually a bright and smart kid who usually gets 6's and above but to get my mock results back and to look at my grade I am really frustrated about it.

I have been doing the same revision throughout the Summer of Year 9 to Now the end of Year 10. I don't want to tell my parents as these are terrible grades and they expect me to get 6's... I am really disappointed. I am nervous about my scores for my other following subjects especially Physics and Maths. I want to do these for A-Level however I have a feeling I failed both. Maths is one of my strongest subjects and I get straight 6's-7's. However for physics my teacher told me if I do terrible on this year 10 mock I will be put into foundation which I do not want to do... I need help

TL;DR I basically failed my mocks with crap grades and not reaching my expected grades and I need help as I am worried if I am going to fail GCSE's 2020.
Don't worry at all, I did similar subjects and didn't do the greatest in the Y10 mocks but used it as motivation to turn those grades around and managed to get in to my favourite 6th form I ruled out after getting those mocks. Just put in all your effort and try your best. Good luck!
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Hi there. I understand that you're disappointed with your Year 10 end of year mocks but don't panic and keep a positive mindset. There's still time to turn results around and you need to understand what went wrong and where your gaps lie ultimately. I know that it's sometimes scary to tell your parents your results when it's not good but try to talk to your parents and be honest about it if you can. If you need any help with any subject, tag me and I'll try to help.
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
There are different types of learners so you should research about it (e.g. a practical learner do tests and practice question so it'll be embedded in their mind. This is good for science because if you know the mark scheme there's a chance to get guaranteed marks whenever they reuse the questions). Just ask your teachers for resources for a certain topic. Don't do an excessive amount of revision! If your body doesn't want you to do it, this means you are at your limit so make a revision timetable based on it even if its a tiny amount of time because its much better to do short hours over a long period of time rather than long hours, which will be half-assed no offence, over a short period over time as it won't be embedded in your mind as much as you go over the content more with more efficient condense revisiom compared to meh revision.
Thanks for replying, I've been revising off flashcards and making brief notes on the CGP books as part of my revision but I really think thats not effective anymore... (i am also put off the fact I play games as resting time but whenever i want to study my body doesnt want me to do it and i try force myself to revise but most of the time my body rejects to do it. ) anyways however I cannot find any past papers suitable for the topic i am revising do you have advice on past papers and new exam revision techniques you could share? and even stop my gaming habit. I don't use my smartphone very often as it is always turned off anyway btw.
Paolo3100
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
DON'T WORRY so many top students do badly in year 10 mocks and start of yr 11 mocks. You can only improve once you fail to meet your expectations. I got 4-3 in science back in 10 and went up to 6-6 in yr 11 mocks and for my GCSE's I'm hoping for at least a 7-7.

The important thing is that you learn to pick yourself up QUICKLY after you fail. Many top students became depressed in my school after being threatened to be put on lower tier science which led to them getting an even lower grade when they could've done much better.

Revise more often (I did about 3 hrs daily from December) and focus on understanding content rather than just memorizing words.
For science the best methods are practice papers and WORKBOOKS. I honestly cannot emphasise how important this is.
look at the markscheme and try to find patterns in questions and answers.

I was getting between U-2 in yr 10 for geography which moved up to a 7 in yr 11 mocks through revision and understanding how to write lengthy responses by using consistent paragraphing and summaries.

Luckily I do computer science as well, just revise content from your textbook and ensure that you know as much as possible for theory. I got an 8 in my mocks in yr 11 by also practicing tons of Python through SOLOLEARN which translated into pseudocode.
Sololearn is a downloadable app in which you can practice python on daily on your way back or from school.
Honestly you will see a noticeable difference if you do this for even 2 weeks
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by Paolo3100; 2 weeks ago
jisoolim
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
stop feeling bad about it and start using your mistakes to improve. mistakes are meant to be made, but what seperates you from other people is what you do differently next time. look through your tests, identify the things you got wrong and re-learn them. remember to not let setbacks discourage you easily. get back on your feet! good luck and have faith in yourself
streetdude28
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You can do it!

My year 10 results weren't where I was wanting them either, and I was massively upset. These my friend are your battle scars to show off to everyone, because this is the reason why you will work like a dog when everyone around you are simply lazing around. This will be how your surpass them and get the grades you want.

It will be tough, but it is achievable. I worked so hard through year 11 to right my wrong, and to be honest, I didn't have much of a social life. That was okay for me though because I had a mission and a target, and nobody was going to get in my way. By the end of it, I did it (this year), I was where I wanted to be, and I'm so proud that I fought for it. See it as character growth. The worst thing you can do is give up.

There's plenty of subject revision tips out there, find them and find what works for you. There's also the possibility of talking to your teachers and seeing how they can help (but I never did that because I'm stupidly stubborn and it could have cut my workload ).. We all believe in you!
aMaffia
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thank you for the motivation. I need assitance because Im doing really good in my other subjects except for one. Science is my weakest subject out of all my subjects and all my teachers in Physics and Biology say that I Might move down to foundation tier. Now, I don't want to do foundation at all and by the time i reach year 11 next year I want at least 7s in science but i've been doing really bad throughout this whole year. For Chemistry i am not in risk for foundation but there were rumours going on around my class saying if you move down to foundation in one of your sciences then you move down for all your sciences ;/. Physics is one of the crucial/important GCSE that I NEED to be really good at but i've been staying at a grade 4 sadly and I need to get a 6 in order to be in Higher. Im hoping to get a 7 on this subject at the end of year 11. For biology I have been up and down eg 5 5 4 5 and at the end of mocks i overall got a 4 ;/. This is the only subject I have been struggling throughtout secondary school tbh. My primary school barley taught us anything about Science at all and thats why I have poor knowledge still as of this day. I really need help boosting my confidence to get on the higher tier. btw i take triple science.

(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
Hi there. I understand that you're disappointed with your Year 10 end of year mocks but don't panic and keep a positive mindset. There's still time to turn results around and you need to understand what went wrong and where your gaps lie ultimately. I know that it's sometimes scary to tell your parents your results when it's not good but try to talk to your parents and be honest about it if you can. If you need any help with any subject, tag me and I'll try to help.
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The main point to remember is that mock results don't actually do anything other than alert you as to whether you've been working effectively. You now know that you haven't been, and have time to change that. Nothing else has really happened, because mock results don't mean anything.

My year 10 mocks were pretty trash but I still did decent in my GCSEs. You've got plenty of time still.
However for physics my teacher told me if I do terrible on this year 10 mock I will be put into foundation which I do not want to do... I need help
If I remember rightly they can't force you into foundation. Can recruit the parents on that one to kick up a fuss if needs be. Although foundation honestly isn't the end of the world if you ever genuinely feel you can't really cope with it: A bottom end pass is better than failing the thing.
jisoolim
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Thank you for the motivation. I need assitance because Im doing really good in my other subjects except for one. Science is my weakest subject out of all my subjects and all my teachers in Physics and Biology say that I Might move down to foundation tier. Now, I don't want to do foundation at all and by the time i reach year 11 next year I want at least 7s in science but i've been doing really bad throughout this whole year. For Chemistry i am not in risk for foundation but there were rumours going on around my class saying if you move down to foundation in one of your sciences then you move down for all your sciences ;/. Physics is one of the crucial/important GCSE that I NEED to be really good at but i've been staying at a grade 4 sadly and I need to get a 6 in order to be in Higher. Im hoping to get a 7 on this subject at the end of year 11. For biology I have been up and down eg 5 5 4 5 and at the end of mocks i overall got a 4 ;/. This is the only subject I have been struggling throughtout secondary school tbh. My primary school barley taught us anything about Science at all and thats why I have poor knowledge still as of this day. I really need help boosting my confidence to get on the higher tier. btw i take triple science.

science is honestly just a memory game. i take triple science as well and i find that the most crucial strategy for science is to create a study routine that you can follow. for me my routine is something like: condensed notes->quizlet->'blurting technique'->past papers. i find that doing past papers are especially helpful and in fact it is scientifically proven that doing problem solving revision strategies can get you higher marks on an exam. spam past papers. and i mean SPAM past papers. dedicate a lot of time to it and you will improve. by doing past papers, you can also come up with your own set of exam predictions. copy down the questions you got wrong and write a model answer. read mark schemes. memorise where they award marks. learn from it and improve.
p_helena
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hi there,
Back in the day when I was in year 10, I got a 3 in English Language and Lit, and a 4 in Maths.
In Year 11, I got an 8 in English Language, a 6 in English Lit and an 8 in Maths.

Granted my year was the *first* to do the numbered gcses, but if you put in the work and revise effectively you can and will succeed.
Trust the process and your own abilities, you will be fine.
maryam2604
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by p_helena)
Hi there,
Back in the day when I was in year 10, I got a 3 in English Language and Lit, and a 4 in Maths.
In Year 11, I got an 8 in English Language, a 6 in English Lit and an 8 in Maths.

Granted my year was the *first* to do the numbered gcses, but if you put in the work and revise effectively you can and will succeed.
Trust the process and your own abilities, you will be fine.
How did u revise language and lit?
p_helena
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I didn't XD not for language anyway- I got a load of marks in the independent writing part because I did a description rather than a story. Everyone is different but I found it easier to throw in writing techniques like alliteration, metaphors, pathetic fallacy and other stuff like that- and I got a photo OF A BUS. THATS RIGHT. A FREGGIN BUS. (i think).
If you revise anything for language, it's your different descriptive techniques.

For Literature, I did An Inspector Calls, Romeo and Juliet and the Power/Conflict poems.
I learned ONE poem lmao (it was Ozymandias). For R+J, I made a table of all the major characters and listed how they showed certain themes shown in the story. I can't remember a lot of it because I hated it and burned my notes afterwards XD
For An Inspector Calls, I made a mind map of each character, showing how they represent the different themes. Again, I hated it, can't remember a lot. I think the main thing is to go through each character, find a couple of quotes for each (shorter is better).
For the poetry, memorise one or two. Go through the anthology and highlight the different techniques used (iambic pentameter all over da house).
To be honest, unless if you're doing A-Level English Lit you don't need amazing grades in both Language and Literature.

I also had a fairly useless teacher who I think was the spawn of the devil incarnate.
(Original post by maryam2604)
How did u revise language and lit?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (146)
17.65%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.95%
No I am happy with my course choice (487)
58.89%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (120)
14.51%

Watched Threads