The Student Room Group

I'm on a Year Abroad - AMA

As many of you know, I study Biological Sciences at a University in the midlands. I decided to take the opportunity to study abroad in one year and am in Japan at present, till August.

Feel free to ask me related questions and I'd be happy to answer, time-difference willing.
Woah, that’s so cool. How is the pace of life there? Is it as clean as everyone says? What do you want to do in the future?
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
As many of you know, I study Biological Sciences at a University in the midlands. I decided to take the opportunity to study abroad in one year and am in Japan at present, till August.

Feel free to ask me related questions and I'd be happy to answer, time-difference willing.
What made you most want to study abroad for a year? :smile:
Original post by ThunderBeard
Woah, that’s so cool. How is the pace of life there? Is it as clean as everyone says? What do you want to do in the future?

Hi :smile: Thanks for your reply! Yes, it's as clean as everyone says. Despite there being literally noooo public bins which can be a nuisance sometimes...

And I want to work in research.
Original post by 04MR17
What made you most want to study abroad for a year? :smile:

It gave me time to consider what I wanted to do in the future and also allowed me to come to Japan for a year. I don't want to work in Japan so the only other way to have come here would have been to save for a sabbatical which I cna't imagine doing any time soon.
If you don't mind me asking, what university are you attending? Also, how easy was it to get a spot in Japan and how was the transition? A lot of the courses I'm looking at have a study abroad option but it worries me a lot.
If you don't mind me asking, what university are you attending? Also, how easy was it to get a spot in Japan and how was the transition? A lot of the courses I'm looking at have a study abroad option but it worries me a lot.

Hey @jessblackburn , no worries. I attend the University of Leicester. urn

Pretty easy. Most people want to go to European countries due to the ERASMUS funding and ease of return home. Some people who returned home almost monthly but I haven't been in the UK since October. So I had no competiiton although the minimum requirement for study abroad is to have a 2.1 from first year. I also had to get an A-okay form my doctor and do some self assessment paperwork to make sure I was aware of what's involved in living abroad.

Transition was pretty easy. Though I had some initial problems. But I had a blip in mood around December where I began to feel really isolated as the language barrier began to grate and I lost touch with UK friends. So my advice here is to expect at least some friendships to suffer due to the distance and to make sure to make new friends via groups at the University or external expat ones.

What worries you?
(edited 4 years ago)
Nice!

I also did an exchange in Japan for a year as a student. The difference is that my degree was in modern languages (including Japanese).

Questions:

What city are you in and how do you find it?

What university in Japan are you at?

Why did you choose that university?

What classes have you taken and how have you found them?

Have you been able to study the language?

What are the other exchange students like?

Have you joined any circles or societies?

What's the pastoral care like at your university?

Would you recommend it?

Where have you travelled to within Japan (assuming you've travelled during your stay)?

What's your accommodation like?

What's your level of the language?

How have you coped living somewhere where they speak Japanese constantly and extremely little English?

What's the culture shock been?

What aspects of the society did you struggle to get used to at first?

How have you been making friends?

What are your hobbies?

(edited 4 years ago)
Have you turned into anime yet? If yes, what’s your nn. If no, then when are you turning to anime char

Quick Reply

Latest