The Student Room Group

Is it impossible to get higher than a C at A Level maths?

I’ll probably get a 6 in my GCSE. I’m doing maths a level and hope to get an A.
My teacher said I won’t get higher than a C because of my GCSE progress.

Is this true? Do you HAVE to be naturally good at maths to get an A?
He said no matter how hard I work I do I won’t get higher than that but if I’m ok with a C then I can do it. Is this fair?
It wasn’t fair of him to say that, it’s not impossible if you are really determined and set your mind to it. But keep in mind that it is a really difficult A-level, if you struggle with maths at GCSE it might not be the best option for you since you you will have other subjects to focus on too. It’s ultimately your own decision, like i said I’m sure it’s possible
Original post by thatsthatthen
I’ll probably get a 6 in my GCSE. I’m doing maths a level and hope to get an A.
My teacher said I won’t get higher than a C because of my GCSE progress.

Is this true? Do you HAVE to be naturally good at maths to get an A?
He said no matter how hard I work I do I won’t get higher than that but if I’m ok with a C then I can do it. Is this fair?

There is a lot of data around for student progression in the old A*-C gcse and modular A level specification and based on that data your teacher is correct. Most people achieving a B at gcse would do no better than a C at A level. Indeed many people would drop maths A level during year 12. There were of course many exceptions to that general outcome, especially if there were good reasons to explain a modest gcse result. It’s hard to predict what will happen with the new linear maths A level, it is for sure even more challenging.

It is fair for your teacher to warn you that hard work alone will not guarantee an A, a lower grade is a more probable outcome and that you are taking a risk but it’s your choice.

Quick Reply

Latest