The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jkizer
Finished the dissertation. Now doing the log, before ill touch on the evaluation.

The log is extremely tedious :yucky:

You mean te report? Did you have to stick to 5000 words or did you go over? I have to finish editing mine, then meet my surpervisor and then do the evaluation. Hey ho

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4521
Original post by SoggyTractor
You mean te report? Did you have to stick to 5000 words or did you go over? I have to finish editing mine, then meet my surpervisor and then do the evaluation. Hey ho

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im on edexcel, which they state the guideline is roughly 6000 words. I did 7000 excluding biblo :smile:

I hear the log/report carries the most marks, so gotta make sure its good quality! :smile:
Reply 4522
Could someone help me please, im struggling to know how much depth to go into on my epq

My question is "Should autistic children be educated in mainstream or special schools?"
And my problem is should I stick to simple, explain what autism is, explain the provisions present in mainstream and special schools for autism. And then go into the for and against eg, teaching efficiency, cost, bullying.
OR should I go into much more detail, saying previous provisions set out for autistic children, how they receive a SEN (special education needs) statement. This will take me longer, and I should only write 5000 words, and I am already at 1,388, and I have only just started my lit review.
Thank you!
Original post by emiilywest
I am currently completing a EPQ exploring the public perceptions of critical care in England and would be grateful is you could give just a minute to complete this survey, thanks :smile:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9P5F6BW

Hi, I did yours. :smile:
Could you do mine

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CNH9LG9

Anyone else can complete it too :smile:
It's on whether health foods are actually healthy
Reply 4524
Original post by Tracy Swissroll
Hi, I did yours. :smile:
Could you do mine

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CNH9LG9

Anyone else can complete it too :smile:
It's on whether health foods are actually healthy

done :smile:
Hello all,

I started my EPQ and choose the question "Is nuclear energy the answer to our problems?".
So do you think this is a hard project to start and if this an acceptable title, does anyone have any websites, books, articles etc. which would help? share your opinion as it will help me :smile:.

Thank you
Guys I beg you for your own sakes : Do your Biblio and any footnotes along the way!!
Reply 4527
Original post by Soontobesuper
Guys I beg you for your own sakes : Do your Biblio and any footnotes along the way!!

:redface: did you lose all your references or just realize you have to present the bibliography in a proper way? XD

Original post by mootje2009
Hello all,

I started my EPQ and choose the question "Is nuclear energy the answer to our problems?".
So do you think this is a hard project to start and if this an acceptable title, does anyone have any websites, books, articles etc. which would help? share your opinion as it will help me :smile:.

Thank you

I would change the title. Tis a big vague.
Maybe something like 'To what extent can nuclear energy replace coal as the UKs primary energy source?' (I thought I would never touch these topics after environmental science gcse!) Though I'm sure you can work on my suggested title.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jkizer
:redface: did you lose all your references or just realize you have to present the bibliography in a proper way? XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
I kinda emailed all the references to my self , so I was just ling Trailing Through all my email Trying To find hem. and WHAT "PROPER" WAY?!?
Original post by Jkizer

I would change the title. Tis a big vague.
Maybe something like 'To what extent can nuclear energy replace coal as the UKs primary energy source?' (I thought I would never touch these topics after environmental science gcse!) Though I'm sure you can work on my suggested title.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the reply & you're right about the title as my teacher said the same.
Reply 4530
I've finished a second draft of my project on comparing two chemical processes to make a particular polymer (5700 words -was 6500 but I cut out a lot of waffling on). My supervisor and EPQ 'coordinator' seem to think that what I am doing is OK, but personally I'm a bit worried that its not very controversial. Basically I've come up with the comparison myself and I can't find any sources which are a direct comparison between the two processes. I know that a lot of marks are for organisation, the log, bibliography and improvements, but am I likely to be penalised for doing a very scientific project with very little 'emotional' content?
Reply 4531
Hi.

In the future I want to go into either:
Trading/finance/business in the oil & gas industry
Chemical/Petroleum Engineering

I'm interested in the chemistry behind gas and oil, and the economics of it too. So I thought the perfect topic to do an EPQ on would be Fracking, a fairly-new method to obtaining gas and oil from underground. I want to be able to show my chemical and physical understanding of what Fracking is (which I don't know much about, yet), plus the effects on the economy . I'm having a bit of a struggle coming up with a specific question that would allow me to explore both chemistry and economics.

I understand an EPQ must show both sides, but for Chemistry there is only really one side of it right? Could I have a 2000 word section purely on the chemistry/physics of Fracking, then the remaining 3000 words on the economic benefits and drawbacks of it? The last 3000 words would be where all the arguments for and against are present. I could arrange visits to UK fracking sites as well as hear experts' opinions on the topic.

Any ideas, suggestions, comments?
Thanks
(year 12 student studying Maths, Chemistry, Economics and Eng Lit)
Original post by SoggyTractor
I'm not sure a questionaire would be ideal since you'd probably have to give people a lot of information about the treatments. If you asked them 'what do you think about radiotherapy' they'd be clueless - if they had to undergo it in real life, a doctor would have to take a long time explaining it to them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah, ur absolutely right...No questionnnaire I guess... I have to just talk to a doctor and see what they thinkk... IF I GET TO.
I'm thinking of doing an EPQ and want to do something to do with English Literature as I'm wanting to carry that on into university but I'm unsure on what to base mine on. Any advice/guidance would be much appreciated :smile:
Does anybody have any ideas on a subject for a German degree? I'm interested in German history and culture rather than the technical language side of things but can only think of descriptive essays and not ones that are analytical/argumentative... :frown:
I have already begun a fair amount of research and started drafting my EPQ based on genetic engineering, with focus on some of the processes of producing transgenic organisms and the ethical issues surrounding this. Then just looked in my OCR A2 biology textbook and realised the majority of this is covered later in the syllabus, do I need to start all over again? :frown: :frown:
Hello everyone -

Initially, my EPQ idea was about how 21st century style varies across the globe, and is dependent on resources available etc. I wanted to make, 5 clothing pieces for example.
The theme of the EPQ was about Fashion, science (I was hoping to discuss the biochemistry behind the materials used), and Geography. However, that was at the beginning of the summer when I was interested in those things. Unfortunately, the London College of Fashion library was closed and so was my local library, so I didn't have access to good fashion books.

I really want to do an EPQ, and I want it to involved Art/Fashion, Geography, Chemistry - if possible, because I want to study either of the three at university. However, I can't think of anything. Like literally, my initial idea bores me, and I really can't see a way that I can make it work and still have elements of Chem, Geog, and Fashion.

Any suggestions? :frown:
Reply 4537
Original post by aimeehaldron
I'm thinking of doing an EPQ and want to do something to do with English Literature as I'm wanting to carry that on into university but I'm unsure on what to base mine on. Any advice/guidance would be much appreciated :smile:

Hey, I'm the same, and I'm doing mine on Jane Austen - how does she present Georgian society in Mansfield Park, Pride & Prej and Emma, and if the influence of society on the characters makes them superficial. (that's not my title, but that's the basic aim!)
So my advice would be to choose an author you really like, not just one that'll look impressive to universities, and just look at an aspect of their books/poems, such as historical context, their use of language, whatever. :smile:
Incidentally I was wondering, is there really any need to do well in the EPQ? I've been worrying about it A LOT and just realised - the prestige comes in telling people you've done it - not that you've done brilliantly in it. I'm pretty sure I won't slip below a B and the universities don't really care what grade you get, right? It only matters if you get an A*, which makes up for getting a bad grade in another subject. As long as I do well in A2, the EPQ should take a backseat, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4539
I am doing the presentation soon, but bit worried about a couple of slides!
I have 2 slides with bullet pointed chapters of my project (split by modern/historical). However im not sure what i will exactly say for these slides o.O (Seeming as i only have 10 minutes give or take!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending