The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

A few things to remember...

if you're struggling to write up to 5000 words on a subject of your choice, perhaps you should avoid studying at degree level.

A* is reserved for the very best - so 45/50 isn't pathetic.

You didn't 'cheat' a word count as there is no upper word count for any of the four options, and besides which the recommended word count for Artefact starts at 1500. As only 10% of Artefact entries get an A or B grade compared to 40% Dissertation, it doesn't seem like a wise swap to make (given the less generous marking).

For those who mention that they had to do the work by themselves, and guide themselves, that's the point.

and while I'm here, of course you need to concentrate upon answering one question before you're an expert on it... if you already knew all about the question there wouldn't be much point in researching it. Look up 'hourglass' method of researching.
The extended project is an AS.
Today I am going to write my whole presentation and do the powerpoint. Please someone motivate me :frown:
Guys!!!! What's with the loss of motivation!!?? Did you do you EPQ on something that really interested you? Yeah, I found the EPQ a bitch at times but I truly loved every moment of it. I got 50/50 (or less)/A* and wrote ~5,300 words after being stuck for a while at 4000.

So if anyone is in desperate need of help quote me. Don't stress!
Reply 444
sleeping-dragon
A few things to remember...

if you're struggling to write up to 5000 words on a subject of your choice, perhaps you should avoid studying at degree level.

A* is reserved for the very best - so 45/50 isn't pathetic.

You didn't 'cheat' a word count as there is no upper word count for any of the four options, and besides which the recommended word count for Artefact starts at 1500. As only 10% of Artefact entries get an A or B grade compared to 40% Dissertation, it doesn't seem like a wise swap to make (given the less generous marking).

For those who mention that they had to do the work by themselves, and guide themselves, that's the point.

and while I'm here, of course you need to concentrate upon answering one question before you're an expert on it... if you already knew all about the question there wouldn't be much point in researching it. Look up 'hourglass' method of researching.

Or perhaps I should have realised it would be too much work, and at University I won't be studying four different subjects, take on lots of responsibilities in college, dancing and working 20-25 hours a week.. whilst trying to maintain a social life. Just took on too much. This is what my teacher says when I tried to drop it.. how will you cope at Uni? AKLFJDSakldjfads I won't be doing THIS MUCH OTHER STUFF OR WORKING at Uni.. If all I had in my life was college I'd be fine!
Reply 445
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
Guys!!!! What's with the loss of motivation!!?? Did you do you EPQ on something that really interested you? Yeah, I found the EPQ a bitch at times but I truly loved every moment of it. I got 50/50 (or less)/A* and wrote ~5,300 words after being stuck for a while at 4000.

So if anyone is in desperate need of help quote me. Don't stress!

I've lost motivation entirely with everything. Not just this, but I think losing motivation for my EPQ has kind of had a negative impact on everything.

I picked something I was originally interested in. Now I am not. I did think about changing but after talking to my teacher I've just adjusted the title a bit. I'm not after full marks or an A*. Getting a B would be wonderful.

It doesn't help that I've now tried to drop the EPQ twice and not been able to.

I have a meeting with my superviser on Monday. I havent done anything since I last saw them in November. My superviser is the principle of the whole bloody college...

I'm really ill today but I'll try and get some done.
lekky
I've lost motivation entirely with everything. Not just this, but I think losing motivation for my EPQ has kind of had a negative impact on everything.

I picked something I was originally interested in. Now I am not. I did think about changing but after talking to my teacher I've just adjusted the title a bit. I'm not after full marks or an A*. Getting a B would be wonderful.

I have a meeting with my superviser on Monday. I havent done anything since I last saw them in November. My superviser is the principle of the whole bloody college...

I felt like you last year when I was doing my EPQ. There just seemed to be so many more important things to do, and on top of four other subjects was difficult. I did mine along side AS levels, whereas many of my friends did it over the summer of AS/A2 and so consequently had a lot more free time. My supervisor was never available to talk, and so I basically made it up as I went along, and I only decided on a final title as I was handing in my final draft. I still got a high B!

I would try and hang on in there, and just write it. To be honest it does not need to be brilliant - 60% of the marks are for planning and filling in the project log, and your evaluation at the end including the presentation. When it comes to the actual essay, the marks are given for directly addressing your question, so just constantly refer back to it. I didn't really do this, and used it more as an explorative study and was rewarded as such.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter what you get. I would advise you to just try and crack on with it, and record what you have done. I got a B, and it has not affected my university application in any way whatsoever! You are right in that it is not the same as university, and you will be given the right amount of guidance and research facilities to complete it!

Good luck!
Well I did actually manage to do the presentation today although it is really long - probably about 20+ minutes :frown: Does anyone know if there is a specific time limit or if my supervisor made up 10-12 mins?
Reply 448
lekky

:hugs:
I'm in the same position tbh.

I've written 3300 words, which is really all I can think of at the moment. I've just lost all motivation for it, and I haven't even thought about the presentation.

I mean, fair enough we have to write about it, but to record every little thing we do is a ******* nightmare. And the presentation on top of that....I'm going to stand up in front of 15 or more english/philosophy/history/art students and explain about aerodynamics. Great.

It's also affecting my other work.
Reply 449
maxfire

I've written 3300 words, which is really all I can think of at the moment. I've just lost all motivation for it, and I haven't even thought about the presentation.

I mean, fair enough we have to write about it, but to record every little thing we do is a ******* nightmare. And the presentation on top of that....I'm going to stand up in front of 15 or more english/philosophy/history/art students and explain about aerodynamics. Great.

same.... I've got to 3300 words and I have 4 days to really get it done! :mad: URGHHH..... what happened between 1917 and 1948... nothing important!
Reply 450
ghast
same.... I've got to 3300 words and I have 4 days to really get it done! :mad: URGHHH..... what happened between 1917 and 1948... nothing important!

:rofl:
good luck buddy
Reply 451
maxfire

Glad to hear I'm not the only one! At least you've done a lot more than me! I haven't even started to think about the presentation. No one in my college will care about what I have to say?

.. just made a different plan for my new title, hopefuly this will make it less difficult for me. My teacher has told me it's got to be evaulative to get the best marks but I don't care. I'm just doing factual and if I have the time or motivation I'll play with it later.
Reply 452
ghast

Good luck!
Reply 453
lekky
Glad to hear I'm not the only one! At least you've done a lot more than me! I haven't even started to think about the presentation. No one in my college will care about what I have to say?

.. just made a different plan for my new title, hopefuly this will make it less difficult for me. My teacher has told me it's got to be evaulative to get the best marks but I don't care. I'm just doing factual and if I have the time or motivation I'll play with it later.

Lol, no I haven't started to think about the presentation. My supervisor just launched it on us one day and made us write down what we have to do. :lolwut:
It's making me want to die :sigh:
Reply 454
Hi there guys and girls, just started mine pretty much, I am 600 words in, am I really behind at this moment in time? Have it all planned though, so its just the write up (takes time I know) but am I considerably behind?
Cheers
Reply 455
GGecko
Hi there guys and girls, just started mine pretty much, I am 600 words in, am I really behind at this moment in time? Have it all planned though, so its just the write up (takes time I know) but am I considerably behind?
Cheers

Yeah tbh. But there is still plenty of time.. I've not done much better than you.. I'm on about 1,300 words now (had to cut out some when I changed my title)
Reply 456
Right so would this be bad to do?

I want to talk about X in my EPQ. I have found lots of newspaper articles etc talking about X in a way that supports what I want to say. However I've also found a lot of journals saying how X is a load of rubbish. Could I just disregard the ones that say it's rubbish and use the ones that support what I want to say? :o:
lekky

I want to talk about X in my EPQ. I have found lots of newspaper articles etc talking about X in a way that supports what I want to say. However I've also found a lot of journals saying how X is a load of rubbish. Could I just disregard the ones that say it's rubbish and use the ones that support what I want to say? :o:

I think so. For projects, people tend to pick sources that back up their subject. Unless you want to incorporate a balanced argument in your EPQ. But in your evaluation you have to say that you disregarded all the other ones and why you did so :smile: Is your EPQ going better?
lekky

Talk about X, then mention that there are many journal entries that disagree with X. Then you could possibly discuss the validity of the accusations posted in the journals?
Reply 459
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
I think so. For projects, people tend to pick sources that back up their subject. Unless you want to incorporate a balanced argument in your EPQ. But in your evaluation you have to say that you disregarded all the other ones and why you did so :smile: Is your EPQ going better?

*edited*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending