The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

A in EPQ **** yeaaaah
A*! Cannot believe it! I really enjoyed the research process, even though most of it proved fruitless. I have the feeling my coordinator was rather fond of me, and may have been a little forgiving with regards to the limited conclusion. However, I have been told that the actual report does not make up a massive part of one's total mark allocation, in which case this would make sense - everything else was very much in order.
Congratulations!! Do you mind me asking how long your EPQ took you and how many sources approximately you used? :biggrin:
Seems as if everyone has done really well with their EPQs - well done.
Original post by khanmir
Congratulations!! Do you mind me asking how long your EPQ took you and how many sources approximately you used? :biggrin:

dunoo who your question is addressed at but if it's me then I used a **** load of sources. pm me if you want my final report.
Original post by errrr...
dunoo who your question is addressed at but if it's me then I used a **** load of sources. pm me if you want my final report.

Ooh could I have a look?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wanna say a massive thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread by providing useful info cause it seriously helped me a lot :biggrin:D
It's weird, i'm a science student (did Chem, Bio, Maths, and Geog A2s), but my EPQ was an artefact on fashion design. It was literally the best and worst thing that I did this year, I wish I did it in year 12, rather than in year 13! But regardless, the hard work payed off, I got an a*! I'm really happy!
Not gonna lie quite unset with the C. I worked hard , I though for it, and I really enjoyed and learned a lot from it!
Ah well, im into uni, i enjoyed the process, it doesn't mean anything (I tell myself)
A* :biggrin: Weren't too sure about doing it at the start of the year but so glad i did now :biggrin:
It's really cool to hear everyone's results it has boosted my confidence that I will get an A/A* next year!!! I wanted to ask for any tips on how to actually write my Literature Review as that's what I've been assigned this Summer and I have no clue how to write it up. :smile:
If I don't do an EPQ will I be put at a disadvantage when applying to competitive universities for competitive courses?
In simple terms, yes. An EPQ is a great way to sgow your enthusiasm and a variety of skills which will make you 'stand out from the crowd'; so to speak. That said, you still need good grades.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by khanmir
In simple terms, yes. An EPQ is a great way to sgow your enthusiasm and a variety of skills which will make you 'stand out from the crowd'; so to speak. That said, you still need good grades.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I've heard a lot of people say that Oxbridge/ LSE/ UCL don't really care that much about an EPQ?
They care about it less so than the lower russel group universities but nevertheless, they do acknowledge it. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by khanmir
They care about it less so than the lower russel group universities but nevertheless, they do acknowledge it. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you already done an EPQ? I want to do 4 subjects at A2 but I think if I did 4 at A2 and an EPQ it might be too much work? That's why I'm very hesitant about it.
Original post by Soontobesuper
Not gonna lie quite unset with the C. I worked hard , I though for it, and I really enjoyed and learned a lot from it!
Ah well, im into uni, i enjoyed the process, it doesn't mean anything (I tell myself)

As long as you have enjoyed the process and learned a lot from it, don't be too upset with the C. The EPQ is mostly recommended to people to help them develop skills, not for them to get certain grades from. When you're at uni, no one will ask what you got in your EPQ, but your lecturers will be impressed with the skills you've developed from it.

Good luck with university. :smile:
I did mine at AS but I'm not submitting until A2, just making some final improvements :smile:

I think 4 Subjects + an EPQ will be tough but if you think you can manage your time then go for it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys currently im thinking of doing the EPQ based on solutions to global warming so will be going in depth into sustainable and renewable energy, i have always had an interest in Geography but i will be studying banking and finance in university so i was thinking are there any good ideas apart from 'solutions to global warming' which will help me when applying for the courses? If not ill be bringing finance into the 'solutions to global warming' such as costs, financial benefits and drawbacks etc but i would prefer an EPQ solely based on finance so any ideas would be much appreciated
I'm doing an extended project this year that hopefully will link in with pharmacology as this is what i want to do at uni. My ideas are the synthesis of the drug, how it is metabolized/effects on the body and the pros and cons, as well as how it has impacted society pros and cons and the history. the only problem is finding a drug to research:/ anyone any ideas? Is this also too much to write about or not enough? also is it not debatable enough?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending