The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

PLEASE can somebody help me!

By September 4th I am meant to have completed the lit. review for my EPQ... AKA the EPQ I haven't even started!

Can anybody come up with some EPQ title ideas for me? Primarily interested in Philosophy/History. If history, then something to do with Russia/Germany preferable. I'm just having serious trouble coming up with a title!

:confused:
Original post by auralay
Thanks! I was considering doing my EPQ on Alzheimer's, it's a very interesting topic!

The main thing that I did was when I wrote down a piece of information I'd researched, I asked myself "So what, how does this relate to my EPQ question?" and tied it back.

For example, mine was on whether psychopathy is due to nature or nuture, so if I found research indicating a certain gene that is prevalent in psychopaths, I'd tie it back by saying "This therefore indicates a biological component, and supports the biological side of the debate. However this gene could be triggered by environmental factors such as childhood abuse, therefore it doesn't conclusively establish a solely biological cause"

That way you're constantly adding in your own judgements and evaluations, as well as using lots of research based evidence.

What I'm doing is making a point, then adding research. But I feel like I'm just coping and pasting/re-writing the research and then referencing?...
Original post by infamous123
What I'm doing is making a point, then adding research. But I feel like I'm just coping and pasting/re-writing the research and then referencing?...

As long as it's in your own words and you're actually understanding the research rather than just copying it out, you'll be fine

Original post by libertinegirl96
PLEASE can somebody help me!

By September 4th I am meant to have completed the lit. review for my EPQ... AKA the EPQ I haven't even started!

Can anybody come up with some EPQ title ideas for me? Primarily interested in Philosophy/History. If history, then something to do with Russia/Germany preferable. I'm just having serious trouble coming up with a title!

:confused:

Assess the argument that Lenin was a 'red Tsar' aka the Bolshevik revolution didn't amount to much change economically and politically. For an ex A level history student (feels so good to say ex) I don't know all that much sorry :biggrin:
Any ideas for an EPQ
I want to study Radiography at university.
Original post by Pistol 33
How did you set it up?
I was told to do Intro, main project argument, Research analysis, conclusion Bibliography

You need to set it up in a way which compliments your title. For example, I did mine on artificial hearts and whether they would be alternatives to heart transplants in the future. I did an intro, then mechanics, cost, future, religion, references.

Research analysis was done throughout the paper - if I found information from a dodgy source I would say that I didn't believe it was reliable and why, then gave other sources which backed the first up/proved it to be wrong. Then I had a table at the end with references, and one of the columns was a brief analysis of whether it was reliable or not. I assume this is what you're talking about, rather than analysing the research itself.
Original post by Kill3er
Any ideas for an EPQ
I want to study Radiography at university.

You could look at screening techniques for breast cancer and how they could be improved/how effective they are?
https://www.ted.com/talks/deborah_rhodes
This is a really good talk, and quite informative.
I did an AQA EPQ. On my results slip it gave me a mark, 27, but what is it out of?
I think it's out of 50
Reply 5428
It's out of 28 points (a bit like UMS) and out of a raw mark of 50. The one on your results slip will be the points. For Edexcel at least. :smile:
Original post by BWCW
It's out of 28 points (a bit like UMS) and out of a raw mark of 50. The one on your results slip will be the points. For Edexcel at least. :smile:

Original post by khanmir
I think it's out of 50

I don't think the mark on my results slip was out of 50, considering the grade was an A*.
Oh apologies, congrats tho! :yy:
Original post by oreoenthusiast
Have you already done an EPQ? I want to do 4 subjects at A2 but I think if I did 4 at A2 and an EPQ it might be too much work? That's why I'm very hesitant about it.

I did this, and I personally think that it was a mistake. I got an A* in my EPQ, and AABB in my A-levels, which is not what I wanted. I wish that I dropped an A2, like Biology, or a didn't do the EPQ in year 13. My EPQ was an artefact.

On the other hand, a friend of mine did an EPQ (normal essay), and did 4 A2s, and she got A*A*AA and an A in her EPQ.

It really depends on how motivated you are.
Original post by CurtisDean
I did this, and I personally think that it was a mistake. I got an A* in my EPQ, and AABB in my A-levels, which is not what I wanted. I wish that I dropped an A2, like Biology, or a didn't do the EPQ in year 13. My EPQ was an artefact.

On the other hand, a friend of mine did an EPQ (normal essay), and did 4 A2s, and she got A*A*AA and an A in her EPQ.

It really depends on how motivated you are.

Hmm, thanks for the advice :smile:

Do you think doing an EPQ gave you any advantages in getting offers/ interviews etc?
During interviews, DEFINITELY! It gives you something to talk about and interviewers are just very impressed when you can show knowledge of such a depth. Also, reflecting on your performance is incredibly impressive to interviewers. :biggrin:
My EPQ title is Does the engineering sector require more women?
Do you think this is a good title?
I would like to study Mechanical Engineering or EEE

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by auralay
I received my A level results on Thursday and got an A* in my EPQ, which was on a psychology related topic. Happy to answer any questions :smile:

What was your question?
Why did you do a psychology related topic?
Did you go over the word limit?
Original post by suarti10
My EPQ title is Does the engineering sector require more women?
Do you think this is a good title?
I would like to study Mechanical Engineering or EEE

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the idea is good but the question is a bit... Strange...

You could do a question on how you could encourage more girls to go into engineering and research why it's such a male-dominated profession?
Original post by scrawlx101
What was your question?
Why did you do a psychology related topic?
Did you go over the word limit?

What was your question? My question was on whether psychopathy is caused by nature or nurture

Why did you do a psychology related topic? In all honestly, the main reason was because I was applying to do psych at uni and I wanted to impress admissions haha. But also because I thought it'd be a really interesting area which would give me plenty of research to consider. I was considering doing my project on autism, Alzheimer's or eating disorders but I couldn't pass up an opportunity to research psychopaths and do case studies of serial killers :colone:

Did you go over the word limit? No, I think mine was about 4700. This may vary with different exam boards, but on mine 5000 words was a guideline rather than a limit/minimum.
Original post by auralay
What was your question? My question was on whether psychopathy is caused by nature or nurture

Why did you do a psychology related topic? In all honestly, the main reason was because I was applying to do psych at uni and I wanted to impress admissions haha. But also because I thought it'd be a really interesting area which would give me plenty of research to consider. I was considering doing my project on autism, Alzheimer's or eating disorders but I couldn't pass up an opportunity to research psychopaths and do case studies of serial killers :colone:

Did you go over the word limit? No, I think mine was about 4700. This may vary with different exam boards, but on mine 5000 words was a guideline rather than a limit/minimum.

Any ideas for a psychology topic which doesnt clash with these topics:
Home > Sixth form > A Levels > Psychology
Psychology
EXAMINATION BOARD: AQA

Course Content
AS (Year 12)

Units
PSYA1: Cognitive and Developmental Psychology and Research Methods
Students study Memory, Attachment and Research Methods, in the context of the topic areas.

PSYA2: Biological Psychology, Social Psychology and Individual Differences
Students study Stress, Social Influence and Psychopathology

A2 (Year 13)

Units
PSYA3: Topics in Psychology.
Students study Relationships, Aggression and Cognitive Development.

PSYA4: Psychopathology, Psychology in Action and Research Methods
Original post by scrawlx101
Any ideas for a psychology topic which doesnt clash with these topics:
Home > Sixth form > A Levels > Psychology
Psychology
EXAMINATION BOARD: AQA

Course Content
AS (Year 12)

Units
PSYA1: Cognitive and Developmental Psychology and Research Methods
Students study Memory, Attachment and Research Methods, in the context of the topic areas.

PSYA2: Biological Psychology, Social Psychology and Individual Differences
Students study Stress, Social Influence and Psychopathology

A2 (Year 13)

Units
PSYA3: Topics in Psychology.
Students study Relationships, Aggression and Cognitive Development.

PSYA4: Psychopathology, Psychology in Action and Research Methods

I was on AQA A for psychology as well :biggrin:

It's difficult to know what will clash with your A level, as your teacher can pick different topics to do for PSYA3 and PSYA4.

Are you interested in mental disorders? You will study one in unit 4 but you could always do one which you aren't studying in class. Schizophrenia, depression, OCD, phobias, addictions...

If you're more interested in applied psych, perhaps you could look at how psychology has helped a certain area, e.g. sports psychology or psychology being used in courts/by the police. Alternatively, you could pick one of the PSYA3 topics which you aren't being taught in class, e.g. gender, intelligence, aggression...

It basically just involves working around the areas your teacher has picked :smile: As long as you aren't studying it in class, you can do your EPQ on it, even if it's on the psychology specification.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending