The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by auralay
I was on AQA A for psychology as well :biggrin:

It's difficult to know what will clash with your A level, as your teacher can pick different topics to do for PSYA3 and PSYA4.

Are you interested in mental disorders? You will study one in unit 4 but you could always do one which you aren't studying in class. Schizophrenia, depression, OCD, phobias, addictions...

If you're more interested in applied psych, perhaps you could look at how psychology has helped a certain area, e.g. sports psychology or psychology being used in courts/by the police. Alternatively, you could pick one of the PSYA3 topics which you aren't being taught in class, e.g. gender, intelligence, aggression...

It basically just involves working around the areas your teacher has picked :smile: As long as you aren't studying it in class, you can do your EPQ on it, even if it's on the psychology specification.

I think OCD or phobias would be pretty cool...now to mould that into a question...any ideas?

The stuff of Schizophrenia addicitions and depression are coming and too complicated for me atm.
I plan to do Accounting or a Economics course in the future. That said, I've got a few titles planned out. I would love to do any of them, it's just down to which one :P
Anyone care to provide some input on these?

+Should Britain adopt the Euro?

+Should richer countries fund less economically developed countries and how this affect their own domestic performance - short/long term.

+Will physical currency become obsolete (with the addition of cryptocurrency/debit/credit)

+Wall street crash / great depression compared to today's credit crunch / financial crisis.

+To what extent could house prices increase? (what effects would this have and the causes)

Please bare in mind these are not the final titles, just some ideas! Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by oreoenthusiast
Hmm, thanks for the advice :smile:

Do you think doing an EPQ gave you any advantages in getting offers/ interviews etc?

This is me lol:frown: I did maths, physics, chem, economics for as. Got AAAB. Want to do economics at uni. Don't want to drop anything but feel I should do an epq lol. idk:frown:
please can you all help me out with some primary research statistics for my EPQ by filling in this https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5NF5DBJ THANKYOU
Original post by georginaoxford
Top tips to get an a*?

Choose a title that you know you wont get bored of. You could really tell the difference between people in my set who were really into their epq and others which were only doing it for extra points, and it's reflected in the grades they achieved as well.
So... interesting title (to you)= more motivation= higher quality report.
dont worry about getting a decent grade, the epq is piss easy. I did spend over 150-200 hours on mine though...
Original post by suarti10
My EPQ title is Does the engineering sector require more women?
Do you think this is a good title?
I would like to study Mechanical Engineering or EEE

Posted from TSR Mobile

I personally dont think it is. Purely because it's a closed question, and even though you can achieve an a* with these kinds of questions, I dont think it's a topic on which you can write a well-developed 5,000 word essay. But ask your supervisor.
Reply 5447
Does anyone know when i can find some good EPQ examples?

It doesnt really matter what subject they're on, I just want to see how they have structured them etc :smile:
Original post by kharr
Does anyone know when i can find some good EPQ examples?

It doesnt really matter what subject they're on, I just want to see how they have structured them etc :smile:

Try the exam board website for which you are doing your epq or just google epq examples :smile:
I've almost finished a research log for the AQA EPQ, it's a 4 page document with a table with the date, source, brief summary and where to go next of each piece of research. However I haven't completed any of the AQA log book, does anyone know if I can hand this in instead? Also I've printed out all my research and plan to highlight it and annotate it and take notes to include in my essay, can I hand this in with my EPQ to be marked too? Because I reckon if I'm allowed to hand this all in I should get most of my research marks, but if not I have no idea where you are meant to show it.

Also if anyone has any spare time could they please do my survey for EPQ, its about designer babies and it will literally take less than 2 minutes, its really short and the questions are mega easy and are personal opinions!

Thank YOUUUU
How many sources has everyone used? I used 4 journals, 4 news articles, 1 documentary and 1 book. Is this enough? My EPQ is Human geography related
Original post by j1997
How many sources has everyone used? I used 4 journals, 4 news articles, 1 documentary and 1 book. Is this enough? My EPQ is Human geography related

Yeah that's enough. 10 is the recommended number of sources, and also you have a good mix/ratio.
Original post by errrr...
I personally dont think it is. Purely because it's a closed question, and even though you can achieve an a* with these kinds of questions, I dont think it's a topic on which you can write a well-developed 5,000 word essay. But ask your supervisor.

Thanks, I changed my mind and decided I'm going to make a model, because I think it is more suited to engineering

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by suarti10
Thanks, I changed my mind and decided I'm going to make a model, because I think it is more suited to engineering

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats a much better idea! there's an example on the internet where the candidate made a steam-powered boat i think :smile:
Okay I've narrowed down the choices a bit, do these sound like good titles in which it is approachable?
+Should Britain adopt the Euro?

+To what extent could house prices continue to increase? (what effects would this have and the causes) <Really like this one, but not sure how I would approach this...

Original post by DomStaff
I did my AQA EPQ this year and got 100%. So if anybody has any questions, feel free to ask. It was:
'The fundamental mathematical and physical principles of rollercoasters'

Subjects I study: maths fm physics Spanish.

That's a really great EPQ topic! I'll be doing maths, fm, physics at A2 and I've decided to do my EPQ on Aerodynamics in Formula 1 but haven't narrowed down my title yet. Can I ask how you structured your project - did you go straight into the technical stuff or did you include some background info on existing rollercoaster design etc.? Any other suggestions are welcome.

I noticed your amazing AS UMS too so Congratulations! - I need to resit a couple of my AS modules to have a hope of getting my predicted AAA grades that I need for Mechanical Engineering.
Original post by Whitteee
That's a really great EPQ topic! I'll be doing maths, fm, physics at A2 and I've decided to do my EPQ on Aerodynamics in Formula 1 but haven't narrowed down my title yet. Can I ask how you structured your project - did you go straight into the technical stuff or did you include some background info on existing rollercoaster design etc.? Any other suggestions are welcome.

I noticed your amazing AS UMS too so Congratulations! - I need to resit a couple of my AS modules to have a hope of getting my predicted AAA grades that I need for Mechanical Engineering.

The best subjects! I'm doing the same but with Spanish A2 as well.

Nice topic.

I probably used 300 words introducing rollercoasters and what I would talk about during my project. I could send you my introduction if you would like - it wasn't technical at all. Then the other 5700 words were all technical.

Do not worry about a title yet. I changed my title to that a week before I submitted it. Just get all your research done and have all plans done before you decide upon a title.

Meh, I was annoyed with FP1 (96/100) and D2 (92/100) bringing my 100% average down! But what is done, is done.

I hope you did well.

Good. There is nothing wrong with resitting at all.
Original post by DomStaff
The best subjects! I'm doing the same but with Spanish A2 as well.

Nice topic.

I probably used 300 words introducing rollercoasters and what I would talk about during my project. I could send you my introduction if you would like - it wasn't technical at all. Then the other 5700 words were all technical.

Do not worry about a title yet. I changed my title to that a week before I submitted it. Just get all your research done and have all plans done before you decide upon a title.

Meh, I was annoyed with FP1 (96/100) and D2 (92/100) bringing my 100% average down! But what is done, is done.

I hope you did well.

Good. There is nothing wrong with resitting at all.

I'd really appreciate seeing your intro if you don't mind...I've found some good sources and info but can't think how to start it all off.
Sorry I'm new to TSR...should I put my email address on here?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Whitteee
I'd really appreciate seeing your intro if you don't mind...I've found some good sources and info but can't think how to start it all off.
Sorry I'm new to TSR...should I put my email address on here?

No. Only on a private message. And don't worry, I don't need your email. The 300 words will fit on a TSR message I'm sure.
Hi guys. I'm doing an Edexcell EPQ dissertation entitled 'How does time work in Space?' I was wondering if anyone knew how detailed one one should go - i.e should I mention mathematical formulae that is covered at University or should I just keep it simple... Also how many resources does one typically need? I currently have 5 books, 20 + websites, 5 newspaper articles, no journals :frown: How detailed should the Project log be? Finally, do we submit our research notes (mine are handwritten) or just our Proposal form, Log, Dissertation and Bibliography? I appreciate that was quite a rant but I would really appreciate some help. Thanks!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending