The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LouiseXxx
Well done, that's actually amazing! Just a few quick questions if you don't mind, how many sources did you use? Ive got like 40 and I'm worried it's too much.
Also how long did it take you to write? I've done 90% of my research but the thought of writing it is really daunting and putting me off!

Thank Youuuuuu!

Thanks.

No problem - fire away.

Not at all, mine was definitely more than 50. Some of which were irrelevant when I came to evaluate them, but I wrote about that. I printed each source and highlighted it etc, then wrote a comment. So some I said 'this is useless'. I probably had about 20 solid sources though and 50-60 overall. Long story short, 40 is fine.

I wrote mine over the Christmas holidays (instead of revising for January mocks!). It probably took 2 weeks, but I am a perfectionist. For every hour spent writing, I would equal that (or double it) proof reading and checking.

I recommend proof reading and printing off every 500 words or so that you do. Then obviously do at least 5 checks of the whole thing at the end; every time I changed something albeit a comma or whatever.

Once you get into it, you'll be fine.
Do you give evidence in a literature/ research review or just talk about how reliable the sources are? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
Good Topic. Where can I find the edexcel mark scheme for the epq? Also, could you perhaps send to me your epq? Thanks, would really appreciate if you did :smile:

I did AQA. Go on the website. Read the spec to see if it gives any clues. (Don't actually read it, flick through).

I'll help you out and maybe send a little bit but I can't give my EPQ out, that is 100%, to people I don't know. Sorry.
Original post by DomStaff
I did AQA. Go on the website. Read the spec to see if it gives any clues. (Don't actually read it, flick through).

I'll help you out and maybe send a little bit but I can't give my EPQ out, that is 100%, to people I don't know. Sorry.

Have you finished the EPQ completely; that is, submitted, been marked and officially been given a mark (cashed in)? Don't send any of it to other people until you're done and dusted with the EPQ entirely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jams97
Do you give evidence in a literature/ research review or just talk about how reliable the sources are? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't really understand what you're asking but I'll try to help. For my EPQ I used literature to discuss and evaluate my topic. So I used literature i.e. sources to back up any points I made throughout my essay. I had another document that contained every source I used, in that document I evaluated the sources, so I talked about their reliability, about the authors, how useful they were, why I used them etc. I didn't evaluate the sources in my essay if that's what you're asking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok thanks. Say in the research I've read it says 24% of people blah blah blah... Would I mention that in the literature review or just talk about their research in general? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dylann
Have you finished the EPQ completely; that is, submitted, been marked and officially been given a mark (cashed in)? Don't send any of it to other people until you're done and dusted with the EPQ entirely.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. I submitted it in March and got my 100% confirmed (after moderation) 2 weeks ago on results day.

I'm not sending it to anyone on here. I'll MAYBE send something like my introduction or whatever, 300 words, but not the whole 6100 word project.
Original post by Jams97
Ok thanks. Say in the research I've read it says 24% of people blah blah blah... Would I mention that in the literature review or just talk about their research in general? X

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can mention the 24% thing or their research in general, whatever you want, as long as you cite them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Afghan Warrior
You can mention the 24% thing or their research in general, whatever you want, as long as you cite them

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great, thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries, I totally understand :smile: was actually more concerned about the log, can you help me with that?
Is anyone else doing an EPQ on space time or astronomy?
No worries, I totally understand :smile: was actually more concerned about the log, can you help me with that?

Of course. What's up?
Of course. What's up?

How much detail was it? Did you record absolutely every thought/action/change of plan that you did?
How much detail was it? Did you record absolutely every thought/action/change of plan that you did?

Well. I only had 2 changes of plan.

I originally started on the fractal geometry of nature and then I explained why this wouldn't work. Then I began looking at cryptography and did the same.

Yes, I even said which titles I was considering etc. But remember, you can do parts of your log retrospectively, it's not illegal.

Try and self-evaluate as you go along in your log.
Sorry to keep posting silly questions on here, but if I have read 20 different sources for my epq, do I discuss what I have found from them in the research review section or the findings section?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello,

I want to do an EPQ about child nursing but I have no idea on what. Can anyone help me?
Has anyone got an A in this and how much work did you put in? How many pages is 5000 words?
Original post by MagicJigsaw
Has anyone got an A in this and how much work did you put in? How many pages is 5000 words?

My teacher gave me full marks but obviously this can go down when sent to the exam board. I completed everything literally in 3 weeks, I lied in my diary and production log lol. I did it all last minute, it was such a boring journey but trust me it's very useful. If only I actually put in effort throughout it I would've enjoyed it and not rushed at the end. 5000 words is roughly 10 pages

Posted from TSR Mobile
Even though I got 100% in my EPQ, I do wish I had done it on Group Theory rather than maths/physics of rollercoasters. Does anyone else feel the same?
Just linking to this again as it is due to start in a couple of weeks time: Developing Your Research Project a free online course designed to help with EPQ type research projects.

Also http://www.edshare.soton.ac.uk/4068/1/guide_to_research.pdf is worth a read - contains a bunch of links to GOOD online resources for each subject (there's a whole bunch of similar guides available here: http://www.learnwithus.southampton.ac.uk/academicSkills/ )

Lastly https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/upcoming and https://www.coursera.org/courses both offer all sorts of free courses on similar topics to those you might cover in your EPQ. It's worth having a look to see if any are relevant to you as most will include guidance to useful resources/research :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending