The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

My EPQ question is 'how did the miners strike effected community cohesion in Wansbeck?' 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrJAKEE
How hard was the MAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't do the MAT, I did the PAT, which was alright. Are you applying to Oxford for Maths?
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
That's what my teachers said but doubt it - literally struggled after the first couple of questions. Well done - you might meet Brian Cox!! I've recieved offers from Warwick A*AA and Exeter AAB. Thanks

I'm virtually guaranteed to as he lecturers quantum mech in first year :wink: also he tweeted me xD oh awesome, they're both really good unis! I would have applied to warwick if it wasn't so close to where I live :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't do the MAT, I did the PAT, which was alright. Are you applying to Oxford for Maths?

I have no idea tbh at this stage. I guess it'll depend on me getting good UMS or not (so I go for Cambridge or Oxford)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrJAKEE
I have no idea tbh at this stage. I guess it'll depend on me getting good UMS or not (so I go for Cambridge or Oxford)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough, are you planning on doing straight maths?
Original post by rachelc142
I'm virtually guaranteed to as he lecturers quantum mech in first year :wink: also he tweeted me xD oh awesome, they're both really good unis! I would have applied to warwick if it wasn't so close to where I live :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's awesome!
Fair enough, are you planning on doing straight maths?

Probably, I'm not too keen on mechanics at the moment but it's possible with M2 I might get a little more excited by it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrJAKEE
Probably, I'm not too keen on mechanics at the moment but it's possible with M2 I might get a little more excited by it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I love half of M2 and absolutely despise the other half :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I love half of M2 and absolutely despise the other half :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbh I found M1 really hard and just before my mock it sort of all clicked and found it very easy... I can see M2 being just like that but I look forward to the challenge I guess :} what sort of stuffs in it? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MrJAKEE
Tbh I found M1 really hard and just before my mock it sort of all clicked and found it very easy... I can see M2 being just like that but I look forward to the challenge I guess :} what sort of stuffs in it? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mechanics was exactly the same for me :smile: well my favourite bits are collisions, work energy and power, displacement/velocity/acceleration vectors and I don't mind statics but centres of mass and some of the harder impulse questions make me tear my hair out D:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mechanics was exactly the same for me :smile: well my favourite bits are collisions, work energy and power, displacement/velocity/acceleration vectors and I don't mind statics but centres of mass and some of the harder impulse questions make me tear my hair out D:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Geez sounds like Physics all over again! Haha I only just scrapped the A* in physics gcse and I dropped it for a reason, so it didn't come into my life again! :frown:(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrJAKEE
Geez sounds like Physics all over again! Haha I only just scrapped the A* in physics gcse and I dropped it for a reason, so it didn't come into my life again! :frown:(

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be fair though M2 is harder than any A2 physics mechanics I've come across imo - I've found physics super easy because of it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
To be fair though M2 is harder than any A2 physics mechanics I've come across imo - I've found physics super easy because of it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I saw some of the Physics books and the maths in it did look fairly simple - btw do you know what D2 is like? I'm going to try and self-study it but I've heard a lot of rumours that it's quite hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrJAKEE
I saw some of the Physics books and the maths in it did look fairly simple - btw do you know what D2 is like? I'm going to try and self-study it but I've heard a lot of rumours that it's quite hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm learning it at the moment. It's the most frustrating and pointless maths module I've ever done. It's hard to get your head around some of the concepts, like I found D1 super easy but some of the things in D2 take a while to think about. I can't imagine self teaching it, I'm just about understanding it at the moment and my teacher is a great one!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm learning it at the moment. It's the most frustrating and pointless maths module I've ever done. It's hard to get your head around some of the concepts, like I found D1 super easy but some of the things in D2 take a while to think about. I can't imagine self teaching it, I'm just about understanding it at the moment and my teacher is a great one!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Geez I've said I'm going to try and take it this year as an Add Maths module (for an AS over two years) , and I've already started D1 so I guess I have to follow through :frown: D1 so far for me has been very easy, but very tedious. I don't really deem it too be maths, more computing so far? What sort of stuff's in D2? I heard there was game theory and more linear programming

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrJAKEE
Geez I've said I'm going to try and take it this year as an Add Maths module (for an AS over two years) , and I've already started D1 so I guess I have to follow through :frown: D1 so far for me has been very easy, but very tedious. I don't really deem it too be maths, more computing so far? What sort of stuff's in D2? I heard there was game theory and more linear programming

Posted from TSR Mobile

Linear programming is TOTALLY different to D1, its the simplex method which can be hard at first but once you understand how to write and read one it gets easier. All I've done so far is that and Network Flows which is just like a lot of information on one diagram. Don't let me put you off - just its a lot more difficult than d1!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Linear programming is TOTALLY different to D1, its the simplex method which can be hard at first but once you understand how to write and read one it gets easier. All I've done so far is that and Network Flows which is just like a lot of information on one diagram. Don't let me put you off - just its a lot more difficult than d1!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are there any online resources for D2? I've checked and I can't find a single one. But D1 is very simplistic, I'm aiming to get it done in a total of 8 days. I guess I can always when I do go and study D2 just ask one of the maths teachers for help any who..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrJAKEE
Are there any online resources for D2? I've checked and I can't find a single one. But D1 is very simplistic, I'm aiming to get it done in a total of 8 days. I guess I can always when I do go and study D2 just ask one of the maths teachers for help any who..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmmm well the exam solutions guy does M2 and I think also S2, he probably does D2 as well? Check that out if you haven't already - examsolutions.net
Hmmm well the exam solutions guy does M2 and I think also S2, he probably does D2 as well? Check that out if you haven't already - examsolutions.net

Nah he only does parts of D1 :frown: I've seen some mix& match videos on D2 topics though like Game Theory

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5759
i'm looking to do an EPQ about the criminal justice system and the insanity defence, incorporating all aspects of mental health and psychopathy into it, but i'm really stuck for ideas. Any suggestions? help is much appreciated

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending