The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

foolsihboy
The answer to that would be "ish...."

I took the imaginary numbers to be a starting point and then said "are there any real uses of further extensions of the number system?" so basically if you count complex numbers as "2-dimensional" or an ordered pair, I then went "4-dimensional" to quaternions and discussed their use (which incidentally led to a LOT of physics).

Spoiler

That actually sounds quite interesting but really complex. Did it not get really complicated?
Aricia
I argued that one number system - the one we use - was better than any others (Roman numerals for example) so it wasn't controversy as much as comparison. It wasn't just a historical account which you're right wouldn't have worked. You certainly need some discussion in it but for me just comparing things was enough (well I hope it was - no results yet).

Oh I see. Did you find it challenging? I want something that will really stretch my mathematical knowledge.
Reply 782
pineapple123
Oh I see. Did you find it challenging? I want something that will really stretch my mathematical knowledge.

I certainly found it challenging but not due to the maths - partly I suppose because mine was more historical than actually needing to do maths. The challenging bit was all the new skills I had to learn - referencing, making good notes, writing a long essay etc. But in terms of mathematical knowledge I found it really good - I learnt something that I'm sure I wouldn't have otherwise that I found really interesting. I would definitely advise you to do it if you want to.
Aricia
I certainly found it challenging but not due to the maths - partly I suppose because mine was more historical than actually needing to do maths. The challenging bit was all the new skills I had to learn - referencing, making good notes, writing a long essay etc. But in terms of mathematical knowledge I found it really good - I learnt something that I'm sure I wouldn't have otherwise that I found really interesting. I would definitely advise you to do it if you want to.

Oh I see. Thank you for your comments :smile: It does sound interesting, but I might look for something involving more complex maths as I'm not really interested in the historical side of maths, but rather the numbers. Thank you, once again :smile:
Reply 784
pineapple123
Oh I see. Thank you for your comments :smile: It does sound interesting, but I might look for something involving more complex maths as I'm not really interested in the historical side of maths, but rather the numbers. Thank you, once again :smile:

No problem. Glad to be able to help. Feel free to talk to me again if you have any more questions.
kitdixon
I dont know whether you did the Russia course this year (AS level), but some of the Economic stuff that happened during that period was really interesting. If I were wanting to do History/Economics, I would look into Ivan Vyshnegradsky and Sergei Witte as their work as Russian Finance ministers at the turn of the century, and also Stalins 5 year plans.

You wont run out of things to talk about I promise you, these are both really interesting topics.

Thank you so much this is really helpful! i didn't do Russia so it will all be new to me.

Could you possibly suggest any events or things i could specifically look up which would help my understanding of these 2 people ?
pineapple123
That actually sounds quite interesting but really complex. Did it not get really complicated?

Excuse the pun :p: . It was actually quite complicated, I ended up writing about stuff that I knew nothing about, but in the end it all worked out and I felt richer in experience.

Forgotten most of it now though, and this was only a couple of months ago :yep:
How about an investigation along the lines of....

'If I were the US president during the late 1920's, then how would I have tackled the economic crisis'

Basically....economic policies and strategies that would have prevented/resolved the Wall Street Crash and Depression etc. This combines history and economics perfectly :smile:

:fatcontroller:
Of these two (broad) topics, which do you think would be best to explore for EPQ?:

aesthetics, and the concept of beauty
OR
perfectionism, and the concept of perfection

and why?

May do something else entirely, but these are two that I'm leaning towards ..
Reply 789
Hi, I need to find a topic to do for the EPQ by Tuesday. I've been thinking of doing something history-based or maybe philosophy. I don't know where to begin though...Any ideas?
Reply 790
effyeffyeffy
Of these two (broad) topics, which do you think would be best to explore for EPQ?:

OR

and why?

The concept of beauty sounds more interesting to me.
Reply 791
folder
Hi, I need to find a topic to do for the EPQ by Tuesday. I've been thinking of doing something history-based or maybe philosophy. I don't know where to begin though...Any ideas?

History I cannot help much.

But I am thinking of doing this question before but its too broad, so it is up to you to narrow it down for Philosophy: "What does it mean to be human?"

Hope this helps.
Reply 792
effyeffyeffy

OR

and why?

If you are looking for a challenge do Perfectionism!
Just looking to bounce some ideas of you people here; I'm not exactly doing an EP as I'm not in college and can't do it independently, but I still liked the idea of doing a project for English Lit. The books that I would love to do something on are Dracula, 1984 and maybe Jamaica Inn - problem is that they're completely different genres and aren't necessarily the most obvious books to do comparisons on! I quite like the idea of feminism/gender, although I think I've covered that quite a bit this year and am looking to do something different. Anyone read these books and would like to throw some ideas at me? I'm not being lazy and asking people to do the work for me, it's just more interesting to bounce some ideas around rather than plucking one from thin air!
Reply 794
Hey, i'm trying to pick what to do for my epq but am stuck for ideas. I find maths and physics most interesting, but if i could i'd like to do something that would lt me get outdoors more - about route finding or scrambling in moutains (which is something i really enjoy) maybe? But don't know how I could link this with the discussion that seems to be an important part of the epq?
mopkopf
Hey, i'm trying to pick what to do for my epq but am stuck for ideas. I find maths and physics most interesting, but if i could i'd like to do something that would lt me get outdoors more - about route finding or scrambling in moutains (which is something i really enjoy) maybe? But don't know how I could link this with the discussion that seems to be an important part of the epq?

You could do the natural occurence of maths in the real world

And interesting fact is that if you take a big enough sample of rivers in the world, the ratio of

Straight length : Actual river length

always comes to 1:π1:\pi

Sure that you could expand the amazing links between maths and the real world to a 5000 word thingymabob. I considered doing that, but couldn't be arsed doing the research :o:
Has any of you done the Extended Project? Its a new course which is worth half an A level. Any ideas for topics for budding lawyers?
Reply 797
Jhyzone
History I cannot help much.

But I am thinking of doing this question before but its too broad, so it is up to you to narrow it down for Philosophy: "What does it mean to be human?"

Hope this helps.

It's a start thanks.:smile:

(Gave rep)
I've a number of questions on this - my teacher just said something vague about it and left us to find out about it, and what I've found on the internet hasn't been very helpful.

1) What does it comprise? An essay? Or is it more like a long piece of coursework? Or... something totally different? :p:

2) If I do go for it, my area of interest is languages (French and Japanese in particular, but any would do). Anyone got any ideas as for a topic I could do?

Thanks in advance :biggrin:
Reply 799
folder

Thank you for the REP+ !

Hope you can find a way of narrowing it down!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending