The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

What do I have to put in my presentation? What am I presenting exactly in the power point? I'm asking because my supervisor isn't around! the cow!
What do I have to put in my presentation? What am I presenting exactly in the power point? I'm asking because my supervisor isn't around! the cow!
Hey guys :smile:
I'm new to the Student Room and I was wondering whether you could give me some advice on the EPQ. I already have my conditional offers for both of my top choice universities but I would like to gain more UCAS points so I have a safe way of getting into my top choice University. My college are already doing the EPQ but they started it in September so is it too late for me to start it now? If it isn't, should I just speak to my college tutor in charge of the EPQ and get started with it?
Thanks for your help :smile:
Jess
xxx
How about the introduction of the Poll Tax in 1990 by Thatcher, that was a big one!
Hey,
Does anyone know if I have to contact all the unis I've applied to/received offers from or not if I pull out of the EPQ/AQA bacc at this point? The deadline is in around a month for me, so I was wondering whether it would be looked down upon by the unis and if they could withdraw my offers if I do pull out. Thanks :smile:
Original post by Goldfishy
Hey,
Does anyone know if I have to contact all the unis I've applied to/received offers from or not if I pull out of the EPQ/AQA bacc at this point? The deadline is in around a month for me, so I was wondering whether it would be looked down upon by the unis and if they could withdraw my offers if I do pull out. Thanks :smile:

If it's on your UCAS form, then I think you should tell them. That said, if it isn't part of your offer, I am not sure. My offer is specific to each A level, e.g A in English Lang, C in History etc. and the EPQ isn't a part of that.
That said, when submititng the application you put your expected finish date so you probably do need to let them know.

Hope this helps
Greetings fellow EPQ'ers.

Started mine about 4 months ago, it is on madness in literature, have actually started writing it up over the past fortnight or so. It is, ironically, driving me barmy.

Presentation evening coming up. :s-smilie: Kill me now!
Have now formally started my EPQ, have until next year (I hope) to finish it. Time to get some research done as I have literally no work to be doing otherwise.
Hi I have included some pics/maps in my project. How do I reference them? I've been using footnotes so would I just put the number thingy at the end of the caption?
Also, what would the reference be, as in website name, date, url etc? what order?
Hey!

I'm doing mine on Sci-Fi. It's so hard to focus it as there are so many great works I could use.

Can I use explicit clips like the rape scene from A Clockwork Orange? I'd have to present it so I don't know if that would be inappropriate, but it's the most iconic scene and shows the dystopian setting.

Gah, need to start work on report soon...

Oh the half term blues.
Reply 1510
Hi,
I have just doing my artefact for my EPQ, which is a trilingual children's book, and I was just wondering if you guys knew a site where i could get some tips on how to write the 1000 word essay that goes with it. Or do you have some good advice? I am seriously strugeling with it.
Thank You.
Original post by mellie220
I wrote mine and it pretty much sounds about right (I haven't written about how it links to what I want to do though).
Thanks for the insight on that :smile:
Sorry to ask but what have you put in the Research part? I haven't got a great varitaion of sources (because it's history based) so I'm finding kind of hard to write it :smile:

urmm, the research bit i've just put quotes from other authors/websites or wherever and analysed them (how reliable they are, how i used them), and also key dates - so i've made a timeline of key events in the recession. You could do that sorta thing if yours is about history, like coronations, births, deaths etc. :smile:
Just wondering if anybody is doing/has done the EPQ without it being something that is actually offered by their school?

It was briefly mentioned that they were considering it, but I haven't heard anything else, and so am dubious as to whether it's going to happen. I do really want to do it though, does anybody know if it would be possible even if the school decided against doing it? (Or, more likely, just doesn't get around to arranging it :rolleyes:.)

Alternatively, I was considering emailing somebody and requesting that they do it. Any ideas as to who would be the best person to email for something like this? :confused: And how I would convince them? :tongue:
Reply 1513
how many words do you have to write?

thanks
6000 for me.
Depends what your spec is, check on the exam board website
Reply 1515
5000 for me and im doing AQA
Reply 1516
Aw crud I literally just posted this in the books, literature and poetry section! I'll just copy and paste it here again. Any advice you could give would be great! :smile: (Please quote me so I see it)

I am doing an extended project qualification and I have to think of ideas of what I would like to focus on (the EPQ is 5000 words). I wanted to take some advice from people who perhaps study English or even just like reading and see what you have to say about this idea. Would it be possible to analyse and gain a high mark if I compared comedic texts (maybe Shakespearean comedies. Or maybe one Shakespearean play compared to a more modern comedic play. Or even just novels that are witty, etc). For my AS coursework currently I am studying Othello as a tragic hero and tragedy in general, etc. Is there something similar with comedies?

Or do you think comedy is too subjective and that it would be too difficult to write about? Is comedy not usually a discussion point but rather something added to lighten other, more important themes? I don't want to waste my time researching it, etc if there's nothing to research and I could do my project on something which would be more interesting and easier to write about.

Even as I'm writing it, it sounds stupid lol Anyway, just wanted to know your opinions and if you think this would be possible? You can tell me if the idea is crap as I have other ideas which are sounding much better now that I've written this first one down!
Reply 1517
Original post by Efosa
how many words do you have to write?

thanks

There's a suggested amount of 5000 (that's for AQA anyway) but you can write a bit less or any feasible amount over. I wrote 8000 and my friend wrote 9000 and we both got A*s. Another one of my friends wrote 4000 and got one too, it's not really that strict :smile:
Hii,

I want to become a Speech Therapist, and was planning to do an EPQ on autism, any ideas on a specific topic/question i could use?

what on earth do we do for the presentation? What do we have to present/talk about??????

ps: My supervisor left ages ago for maternity ! :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending