The Student Room Group

[Official] Oxford Geography Applicants 2020

Scroll to see replies

Original post by s4student
Received an invitation to interview from Catz for Geography at 12:22 today! Delighted and happy that the wait is finally over!

well done you must be so chuffed! what gcses did you get? :smile:

Original post by azby1098
well done you must be so chuffed! what gcses did you get? :smile:

Thank you so much! Over the moon!

In Scotland National 5s are the equivalent to GCSEs. They are graded A, B, C, D, F. You don't get A*s. The maximum number you can do is 8. I did English, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Geography, Politics, Computing Science and Drama and got an A in each - through a lot of hard work though and many library visits!
Ah well done that’s amazing! I really want to go and i’m working really hard at the moment. Hopefully with my grades (five 8s four 7s and an A*) i might just scrape an interview, I really hope I do.
Reply 63
Original post by hwarbey123
So I'm applying to Brasenose college and have been invited for interview. They sent me a link to a survey which I completed. I got an email back saying that I had successfully completed the survey. Now Brasenose have emailed me saying I haven't completed the survey.
I'm really confused and don't know what's happening. I've emailed Brasenose back telling them I've done it but they haven't got back to me yet. Today is the deadline for filling in the survey. I don't know if it'll work if I do it twice and I'm scared I'm going to lose my chance of going to Oxford over a technical issue.
Has anyone else had this problem or any idea what I should do?

Have you spoken to them on the telephone?
Original post by Deggs_14
Have you spoken to them on the telephone?

I emailed them and they told me to redo the survey. I did it and they emailed me back saying they'd received it. So panic over :smile:
Good luck everyone!
Original post by _tsarbucks
Me too!

Predicted grades: A*A*A* and an A in EPQ ☺️ Good luck! See you at the interviews!

Hi! I will be applying to Mansfield for Geog in September - out of interest, how many people were at the Geography Mansfield interviews this year? :smile:
Original post by ritvikr
I got an interview for Geography from Mansfield College! :grin: Hopefully it goes well!

A level predicted grades: A*A*A*

Hi! I’m hoping to apply to Mansfield for Geography next year - out of interest how many people were called to/at the Mansfield Geog interviews this year?
Hi! I’m hoping to apply to Mansfield for Geography next year - out of interest how many people were called to/at the Mansfield Geog interviews this year?

Hi Azby!

There are 8 places at Mansfield each year for Geography. By the time interviews come around, there are normally about 3 candidates per place, so it is probably about 24.

Are you from a state school? At times the college is about 90% state educated, so be aware of that before you apply.
Original post by Oxford Mum
Hi Azby!

There are 8 places at Mansfield each year for Geography. By the time interviews come around, there are normally about 3 candidates per place, so it is probably about 24.

Are you from a state school? At times the college is about 90% state educated, so be aware of that before you apply.

Ah that’s brilliant thankyou! I am from a state school yes :smile:
Do you know what % of Mansfield geog applicants are called to interview out of interest?
Ah that’s brilliant thankyou! I am from a state school yes :smile:
Do you know what % of Mansfield geog applicants are called to interview out of interest?

No, I am not sure about that. But if you have good GCSE grades, and are very keen on Geography, why not apply? Don't worry about what the other students are doing, it's what you are doing that matters.

By the way, Mansfield is the only college I have stayed in overnight. It's lovely.
Original post by Oxford Mum
No, I am not sure about that. But if you have good GCSE grades, and are very keen on Geography, why not apply? Don't worry about what the other students are doing, it's what you are doing that matters.

By the way, Mansfield is the only college I have stayed in overnight. It's lovely.

Yes that’s very true - my GCSE grades are 6 A*s and 4 As which is slightly weaker, but I have such large passion for Geography, so hopefully that will shine through. Ah really? It seems really nice - hopefully I will be able to visit it after Covid-19 :smile:
Yes that’s very true - my GCSE grades are 6 A*s and 4 As which is slightly weaker, but I have such large passion for Geography, so hopefully that will shine through. Ah really? It seems really nice - hopefully I will be able to visit it after Covid-19 :smile:

OK, I would go for it! Good luck.

When I went you could actually stay overnight in a student room.

https://www.universityrooms.com/en-GB/city/Oxford/home

This is an expensive option, though! If you wish to visit, please phone in advance to tell them you are coming.
Reply 73

Definitely keep up to date with the geopolitical and economic impacts of the coronavirus, there are many excellent bbc articles you should read such as the impact of the disease on minority communities, governments reimbursement schemes etc. There’s so much to research and talk about! Also, have you thought about helping your local community with food parcel deliveries etc? I had a geography interview at Cambridge (not Oxford but close enough haha) last year and part of my discussion was about community work and such.

What aspects of geography do you enjoy? I’d suggest having a watch of some videos by Wendover productions on you tube, he creates some fabulous content which I mentioned on my PS. If you have any geography related questions feel free to ask me, I applied for geography at Cambridge last academic year and I was rejected (lol) so take things with a pinch of salt, but I hope my insight (If you want it) could be of help nonetheless.

Best wishes! :smile:
Original post by Deggs_14
Definitely keep up to date with the geopolitical and economic impacts of the coronavirus, there are many excellent bbc articles you should read such as the impact of the disease on minority communities, governments reimbursement schemes etc. There’s so much to research and talk about! Also, have you thought about helping your local community with food parcel deliveries etc? I had a geography interview at Cambridge (not Oxford but close enough haha) last year and part of my discussion was about community work and such.

What aspects of geography do you enjoy? I’d suggest having a watch of some videos by Wendover productions on you tube, he creates some fabulous content which I mentioned on my PS. If you have any geography related questions feel free to ask me, I applied for geography at Cambridge last academic year and I was rejected (lol) so take things with a pinch of salt, but I hope my insight (If you want it) could be of help nonetheless.

Best wishes! :smile:

Thankyou so much for taking time to answer me - this will be really helpful and i’ll try some of this out! I may message you too, thanks again! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending