Am I Unemployable in law with a D at NAT 5 Maths? Watch

Brandon63
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I've just started 6th year and I'm becoming increasingly worried about the D I got in NAT 5 maths and whether it will impact my future in law. While I am perfectly able to get into a university course for law without the national 5, I wonder whether any law firm would employ me. At national 5 I got 4 As (one in physics) 1 B and the D in maths. At higher I'm expecting to get at least 4As and 1B and one of the As I'm more confident in is physics. Should I resit national 5 maths this year or is it unnecessary?
Ring Zero
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
National 5 Maths with a D grade isn't great, but it's still a whole lot better than not having National 5 Maths with a D grade!

We've actually been here before. In the early 1970s, the O Grade exam was extended to give D or E grades for results which would previously have been a fail. Somewhat unexpectedly, schools started to put forward many, many more candidates for these O Grades, and employers were more than happy to accept the new D or E grades. There were other options available, with some Scottish schools offering the easier English CSE (Mode 3) qualification instead, but attempting and doing 'badly' at an O Grade was seen as the better option.

Yes, there will always be some jobs that absolutely require N5 Maths at C grade or above, but you will likely find that an HND or Degree becomes far more important than what you did in school. And if lack of a better Maths qualification does become an issue for you when you're older, you can always go back and resit then. Age and experience can make a huge difference.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are cats selfish