Purchased my range rover at 18, any advice tips would be great. Watch

MrCole&Co
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
I was going to say just get a copy of tomorrows paper on the steering wheel and with a sign Mr Cole and the date, but then realised that doesnt prove it and it could be your parents. I dont think people give a toss really, dont crash though either way as premiums will shoot up.
I am not proving anything, why should I? I am not trying to brag, whether anyone believes me or not that is their problem.

The car is still outside my house no matter what, I just wanted some advice as I know there are some old timers in here so they may have advice.

But evidently its a bunch of salty students with no job who love to be negative and take their stress out on a keyboard warrior battle.
MrCole&Co
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drewski)
If the material possession of a car is what makes you happy then you must be a pretty poor individual with no sense of self worth.

You won't be fun at parties because nobody with any sense will invite you.
Well, the car does make me happy but that isn't the only thing.

I never said that either, I said any advice and tips, but every student wants to be a smart arse and a buzz kill

Before you slate me for buying a range rover, pay off your 30 grand Uni Debt haha
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by MrCole&Co)
literally posted to prove that I did buy myself a range rover.
I am not proving anything, why should I?
Could you make your mind up?
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Well, the car does make me happy but that isn't the only thing.

I never said that either, I said any advice and tips, but every student wants to be a smart arse and a buzz kill

Before you slate me for buying a range rover, pay off your 30 grand Uni Debt haha
It was £16k - I went to uni a few years ago - and I have.

Next?

And maybe people do enjoy being buzzkills... But you're making it pathetically easy by being a monumental prick and hugely hypocritical. So, if you want us to stop, you could just stop digging yourself a grave?
Last edited by Drewski; 2 weeks ago
999tigger
Report 2 weeks ago
I am not proving anything, why should I? I am not trying to brag, whether anyone believes me or not that is their problem.

The car is still outside my house no matter what, I just wanted some advice as I know there are some old timers in here so they may have advice.

But evidently its a bunch of salty students with no job who love to be negative and take their stress out on a keyboard warrior battle.
Honestly I dont think people give a toss either way.
I was merely addressing the issue raised by another poster and then realised I couldnt think of a solution based on the situation as there are no personal details. I like puzzles. I posted my advice which was true. Your life, so am indifferent.

Why not post on a range rovers owners club?
Last edited by 999tigger; 2 weeks ago
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by radiatorman)
Looool this guy's such a weirdo posting his range rover on TSR asking for 'tips' . What tips do you need? Go to a car forum..
This thread is in the cars and motoring section of TSR.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
MrCole&Co
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
This thread is in the cars and motoring section of TSR.
Exactly, thank you.
MrCole&Co
Rep:
?
It was £16k - I went to uni a few years ago - and I have.

Next?

And maybe people do enjoy being buzzkills... But you're making it pathetically easy by being a monumental prick and hugely hypocritical. So, if you want us to stop, you could just stop digging yourself a grave?

Digging myself a grave? Really not, you think I give to monkeys what a few key board warrior students think?

No matter how many I get hating, the car will still be outside my house, keys will still be in my hand and I will still be driving It.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
you think I give to monkeys what a few key board warrior students think?
Clearly you do because you're getting awfully riled...

If you really didn't care you a- wouldn't post here and, b- wouldn't be so bothered about people believing you.
MrCole&Co
Rep:
?
Clearly you do because you're getting awfully riled...

If you really didn't care you a- wouldn't post here and, b- wouldn't be so bothered about people believing you.
If I was bothered about people believing me then I would post more proof, but I don't need to prove myself to any of you.

Also, why not? Its a car forum?
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Polite suggestion: discussing one another's attitudes towards each other isn't going to be very productive, and is starting to get off topic from advice about range rovers.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Not a post to boast or brag, literally posted to prove that I did buy myself a range rover, if anyone has any tips or advice for the range that would be greatly appreciated.
If I was bothered about people believing me then I would post more proof, but I don't need to prove myself to any of you.

Also, why not? Its a car forum?
Then why did your first post literally say you were posting this to prove you'd done it?

It is a car forum...on a student site. So posts here are going to be relative. If you really wanted advice you'd go find a range rovers owners forum, where you'd get far better advice from people in the same position as you. But no, you posted in a forum that's dominated by 17 year olds asking where to get cheap insurance for their bangers.

You knew you were being a tool to post it, yet you're making that everybody else's problem.
Why?
Are you naturally just an attention seeker?
Do you have no concept of social awareness?
desou
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
range rovers are the worst. real farmers drive land rovers/ pickups, range rovers just seem to be gammon-mobiles.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Polite suggestion: discussing one another's attitudes towards each other isn't going to be very productive, and is starting to get off topic from advice about range rovers.
This thread was never meant to be productive.
999tigger
Report 2 weeks ago
Tbf it did start with the OP wanting to prove to people he owns said car. I think its fair comment people can have a view on that.
If the OP then wants to be loling about student debt, then its going to get a response. I am indifferent and gave my advice and tips.
S27
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
This thread was never about advice about range rovers!
NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Let it take you to Hilly areas such as Mid Wales or the Lake District.
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
3k per year depreciation? No chance, go on autotrader and look at 2012 diesel ranges, put a mileage of 60k and see how much the cheapest one is.
How old is it and how many miles has it done? How much did you pay for it?

The price you can sell a car for is significantly lower than what a dealer can sell for. Any private seller should expect to be haggled down from their Autotrader advertised price.

And then there's the parking ding and stone chip factor.

It's up to you if you want to be realistic with your estimates of total running costs or not. Time will tell if the depreciation is 3k per year or 2k...
You wouldn't be the first person to be disappointed with the price you sold your car at...

Commiseration? Haha, I am so sad now that I have bought a range rover, oh crap! I am so unlucky.

So negative, you must be fun at parties
Your definition of negativity is very different to mine. I think it's a very positive message to say that an investment in bricks and mortar or in a business is so wise that it makes spending that money on a car look foolish.

I also think that it's a positive message to say that you could get:
a faster, more reliable, better mpg car, eg 2010 BMW 330d manual for under 6k. That 245hp 6 cylinder engine is amazing and it's mounted on a good chassis. Maybe this is one to look out for once you have more no claims bonus and for when you can ditch the black box?

or a bigger, safer, more comfortable, more reliable SUV, eg 2009 Volvo XC90 D5 for 5k. Those D5 engines are so reliable and the cabin is a well thought out place for you plus up to 6 friends to be. Maybe this is one for when you are looking to go on touring holidays with some friends or a girlfriend.

And those are just 2 examples of great cars at reasonable prices...

Anyway, please report back here in 3 to 5 years time and let us know how you found the Evoque ownership overall...
Last edited by Dunnig Kruger; 2 weeks ago
OG_ElGato
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Ouch, that's a bit, I have an Audi S6 and I pay £1800 but that's without a black box.

Biggest advice is make sure you keep an eye on your AdBlue levels, and also regularly service, it's a heavy powerful car, so just be sensible looking after it
4k insurance at 18, do have a blackbox but I am fine with that, just got rid of my corsa which I had no black box on and as much as I enjoyed speeding and being stupid, it wont last forever and id rather just cruise in a nicer car.

Thank you, I just wanted to see if there were any range rover owners who could give me some guidance but no worries.

My current role is in administration in the public sector, been at this company for nearly 2 years, goal is by 2021 to be Exec PA for a firm in the city, that's when you start earning a decent wage.
NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Don't park on the street in poorer areas of cotoes, you're likely to get keyed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (150)
17.71%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.85%
No I am happy with my course choice (501)
59.15%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.29%

Watched Threads