The Student Room Group

how do you stop loving someone

i think i love someone and I don't want to anymore

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How old are you? What's your relationship to them?
Why do you want to stop?
Reply 2
Original post by WhyKidz
Why do you want to stop?

Original post by WhyKidz
Why do you want to stop?

I'm 16
and idk They're just a friend I've known for like 6 years or more or something
and idk I think I've just been hopelessly in love with him for quite a while and i just haven't liked anyone else but him
I just want to stop because I think it hurts a lot
Reply 3
Does he know you like him and do you know how he feels about you?
Wish I could answer this then apply the same logic to myself. 😂
Fancied my best mate (he knows) for the last 5 years. We’ve known each other since we started uni in late 2013 but I didn’t notice him until 2014 because we didn’t go around together much. It wasn’t until we found a place together (housemates) that I noticed. 😂

Need advice on this topic too!
Not that I want to but helps if I actually want a relationship without feeling guilty...
Well first of all you're going to have to shoot your shot. When you just fancy somebody but never make a move you bung yourself into what I call the "false hope" trap, where you lie to yourself and convince yourself there's a chance with them even though you're making precisely zero steps towards such a goal. Making the move allows you to either get the relationship you fantasise about, or removes the false hope trap.

Assuming you're rejected, getting over them becomes quite quick as you're forced to accept the fact that it's not gonna happen. Not a nice time, granted, but rejection never is.

No offence intended here, but you also more generally need to talk yourself down a bit. You are 16. Your never-ending infatuation with a childhood friend isn't love.
Original post by Scienceisgood
Wish I could answer this then apply the same logic to myself. 😂
Fancied my best mate (he knows) for the last 5 years. We’ve known each other since we started uni in late 2013 but I didn’t notice him until 2014 because we didn’t go around together much. It wasn’t until we found a place together (housemates) that I noticed. 😂

Need advice on this topic too!
Not that I want to but helps if I actually want a relationship without feeling guilty...

You actually asked this lad out or nah?
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Well first of all you're going to have to shoot your shot. When you just fancy somebody but never make a move you bung yourself into what I call the "false hope" trap, where you lie to yourself and convince yourself there's a chance with them even though you're making precisely zero steps towards such a goal. Making the move allows you to either get the relationship you fantasise about, or removes the false hope trap.

Assuming you're rejected, getting over them becomes quite quick as you're forced to accept the fact that it's not gonna happen. Not a nice time, granted, but rejection never is.

No offence intended here, but you also more generally need to talk yourself down a bit. You are 16. Your never-ending infatuation with a childhood friend isn't love.

Multiple times. Unfortunately heterosexual and homosexual people don’t normally mix in a relationship. 😂

He said he has thought about it though and the odd peck on the neck hasn’t had him tell me to **** off yet. 😂

Honestly couldn’t ask for a better mate. 😁
Original post by Scienceisgood
Multiple times. Unfortunately heterosexual and homosexual people don’t normally mix in a relationship. 😂

He said he has thought about it though and the odd peck on the neck hasn’t had him tell me to **** off yet. 😂

Honestly couldn’t ask for a better mate. 😁

Oh wow OK um...

If the passage of time on its own isn't working despite the fact you have no chance (ngl you've perplexed me a lot with this), all I can think of is trying to actively find somebody else. Get yourself on tinder or smth.
Oh wow OK um...

If the passage of time on its own isn't working despite the fact you have no chance (ngl you've perplexed me a lot with this), all I can think of is trying to actively find somebody else. Get yourself on tinder or smth.

Yeah, it’s an odd relationship friendship kinda thing. Admittedly we’ve done other things which while not sexual could be taken as sexual. 😂

Main thing being getting a good peak down below (multiple times) plus other things. 😂

I’ll admit it’s strange. All started when he started crying in second year because he was seriously ****ing up trying to juggle a Biomedical Science degree plus a terrible relationship. 😐
Reply 9
Original post by WhyKidz
Does he know you like him and do you know how he feels about you?

no he has no idea that I do
at least I hope not
and no I've never fully known how he feels about me
I think he considers me a friend
but sometimes he does stuff which sometimes hints that it could be a bit more but maybe I'm just reading into it too much

lmao yh that's good Advice I get what you mean
yh I'm only 16
and I've talked myself down plenty
but I just can't get over him
and idk I don't really want to shoot my shot because I don't want to lose him as a friend
and tbh idk if I want a relationship with him at all
Just as a pointer, just remember, you're only 16 and this probably won't be the first and only person you will ever love, sometimes all you need is time :smile:
Start loving yaself
Definitely know what you mean
Original post by .Sophie-Mae.
Just as a pointer, just remember, you're only 16 and this probably won't be the first and only person you will ever love, sometimes all you need is time :smile:

it's literally been like 6 years or something tho
How much more time? :frown:
Original post by storm95
Start loving yaself

loool but what if you've put your love into so many other people you've lost the love for yourself
Original post by Anonymous
loool but what if you've put your love into so many other people you've lost the love for yourself

Then you find it back
and idk I don't really want to shoot my shot because I don't want to lose him as a friend

As long as you keep to a calm asking out and not a declaration of undying love till the ends of eternity then your friendship will be fine. I've done it before.
As long as you keep to a calm asking out and not a declaration of undying love till the ends of eternity then your friendship will be fine. I've done it before.

but the thing is I don't think I want to go out with him idk I'm just so confused
but the thing is I don't think I want to go out with him idk I'm just so confused

Why not?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending