The Student Room Group

Throat feeling weird, could I have cancer?

So I am an 18 year old girl diagnosed with Russell silver syndrome (don’t know how that’s relevant but it causes digesting problems and acid reflux) and In 2017 I accidentally swallowed chewing gum and today it feels like it’s being pushed down slowly but still hurts when I swallow. I woke up recently and felt like I was deaf and my throat was feeling weird on the right side of my throat (where it hurts). I also started feeling pain on the left side of my throat when I swallow but I know there’s nothing stuck there. I found it difficult to swallow once and I have the sensation that someone has after someone else strangles them. I am too scared to say anything to my mum and get an x ray or endoscopy done because that’s scary and I don’t want to be told I got cancer and they need to do surgery because it’s rare that people survive throat surgeries. Has anyone ever felt like this?
Original post by Anonymous
So I am an 18 year old girl diagnosed with Russell silver syndrome (don’t know how that’s relevant but it causes digesting problems and acid reflux) and In 2017 I accidentally swallowed chewing gum and today it feels like it’s being pushed down slowly but still hurts when I swallow. I woke up recently and felt like I was deaf and my throat was feeling weird on the right side of my throat (where it hurts). I also started feeling pain on the left side of my throat when I swallow but I know there’s nothing stuck there. I found it difficult to swallow once and I have the sensation that someone has after someone else strangles them. I am too scared to say anything to my mum and get an x ray or endoscopy done because that’s scary and I don’t want to be told I got cancer and they need to do surgery because it’s rare that people survive throat surgeries. Has anyone ever felt like this?

As scary as it can be, if you're worried about it and you're experiencing physically changes, you need to go to the GP - no one here will be able to accurately advise you, I'm afraid :nope:

It sounds like maybe you're leaping ahead a bit though, unless I'm missing something? If you go to the GP they'd do their own assessment before sending you for an x-ray or endoscopy, they might not even be needed, depending on what your doctor thinks.
Reply 2
Original post by shadowdweller
As scary as it can be, if you're worried about it and you're experiencing physically changes, you need to go to the GP - no one here will be able to accurately advise you, I'm afraid :nope:

It sounds like maybe you're leaping ahead a bit though, unless I'm missing something? If you go to the GP they'd do their own assessment before sending you for an x-ray or endoscopy, they might not even be needed, depending on what your doctor thinks.

How can one chewing gum cause issues in the throat? They shouldn’t be selling chewing gum then.
Original post by Anonymous
How can one chewing gum cause issues in the throat? They shouldn’t be selling chewing gum then.

Obviously I'm not a doctor, but I can't imagine that swallowing chewing gum 2 years ago would be causing the issues you're describing?

However, the fact you're describing pain, deafness, and difficulty swallowing, suggests that a GP appointment would be wise just to check everything is okay.

Quick Reply

Latest