The Student Room Group

How important is it to do a ScreenSkills/CILECT accredited course for film production

As above
It's not the only way to guarantee industry standard equipment and course content - but it's the easiest way. If you're considering a non accredited course then you need to check for yourself that you'll be studying the content and with the equipment/techniques required by industry.
Reply 2
Speaking from ScreenSkills perspective (full disclosure!), I agree with PQ that it is not the only route. However, courses accredited by ScreenSkills are a good way to identify the courses that would be most relevant to you if you want a career in the screen industries: film, TV, animation, gaming, VFX etc. Courses are assessed by industry experts and have been accredited because they deliver the practical skills and knowledge that employers are actually looking for. They generally have strong industry links as well and are continuously reassessed to reflect changes in the industry. If work-readiness is your priority, then it’s definitely the place to start.
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
It's not the only way to guarantee industry standard equipment and course content - but it's the easiest way. If you're considering a non accredited course then you need to check for yourself that you'll be studying the content and with the equipment/techniques required by industry.

Original post by Nats94
Speaking from ScreenSkills perspective (full disclosure!), I agree with PQ that it is not the only route. However, courses accredited by ScreenSkills are a good way to identify the courses that would be most relevant to you if you want a career in the screen industries: film, TV, animation, gaming, VFX etc. Courses are assessed by industry experts and have been accredited because they deliver the practical skills and knowledge that employers are actually looking for. They generally have strong industry links as well and are continuously reassessed to reflect changes in the industry. If work-readiness is your priority, then it’s definitely the place to start.

Problem is that most ScreenSkills accredited courses (especially the CILECT) ones are often in very small universities or are on multiple campuses which have very lacklustre student unions.

I studied at AUB for a year and hated it, partly because the university was so small. Do you know of any universities that have good film programs but also have good student unions/good social lives?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by OhGod
Problem is that most ScreenSkills accredited courses (especially the CILECT ones are often in very small universities or are on multiple campuses which have very lacklustre student unions.

I studied at AUB for a year and hated it, partly because the university was so small. Do you know of any universities that have good film programs but also have good student unions/good social lives?

Leeds Beckett has the Northern Film School which is a CILECT member and has a Screenskills tick...Leeds is a very student friendly city and with 28,000 students at Leeds Beckett it's far from small (and the Northern Film School is in the city centre campus so not remote at all).
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
Leeds Beckett has the Northern Film School which is a CILECT member and has a Screenskills tick...Leeds is a very student friendly city and with 28,000 students at Leeds Beckett it's far from small (and the Northern Film School is in the city centre campus so not remote at all).

Leeds is too far away from me! I live in the South West. Any other suggestions? I dosent matter wether or not the course is ScreenSkills or CILECT accredited.
Reply 6
Would it be worth not doing a ScreenSkills accredited course just because it would be at a bigger university, meaning that I’ll enjoy myself more?
Original post by OhGod
Would it be worth not doing a ScreenSkills accredited course just because it would be at a bigger university, meaning that I’ll enjoy myself more?

That depends. Do you want to go to university to enjoy yourself or to prepare for a career in the film industry?
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
That depends. Do you want to go to university to enjoy yourself or to prepare for a career in the film industry?

I do want to prepare for a career in industry but I won’t enjoy myself if I go to a small university, because I went to AUB three years ago and I was incredibly unhappy due to the lack of clubs/society’s/general social life etc.

I have absolutely no idea what to do.

It’s made me really unhappy and stressed because I know I’d be happier at a more traditional university but I also know that the better, more film industry ready courses are at the smaller universities and art colleges. I can’t do both.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by PQ

Please help. I really need some advice
Original post by OhGod
Please help. I really need some advice

Where do you plan to live after graduation?
Reply 11
Original post by PQ
Where do you plan to live after graduation?

I have no idea. Wherever I get offered a job I guess
Original post by OhGod
I have no idea. Wherever I get offered a job I guess

My point is that there's not much of a film industry in the South West. If you're not willing to move to London or the north for university (where your costs will be minimal and funding is available) then your future career options will be quite limited.

Have you looked at Westminster? They're a pretty big university - the only problem is that London has a pretty limited "student" lifestyle.
Reply 13
Original post by PQ
My point is that there's not much of a film industry in the South West. If you're not willing to move to London or the north for university (where your costs will be minimal and funding is available) then your future career options will be quite limited.

Have you looked at Westminster? They're a pretty big university - the only problem is that London has a pretty limited "student" lifestyle.

I’m applying through clearing so Westminster isn’t an option. I applied to Westminster last year and got rejected so that isn’t an option

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending