Is £89 for two pairs of glasses at specsavers worth it? Watch

bulbasaur55
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I’m 17, and in full time education, and I had an eye appointment at specsavers where they told me I needed new glasses. The girl that helped me pick the glasses didn’t explain the NHS voucher properly, and just basically told me to pick 2 pairs of glasses anywhere, so I randomly picked and ended up having to pay £89, with one pair being designer and one pair not. Could I have gotten two pairs for cheaper?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by bulbasaur55)
I’m 17, and in full time education, and I had an eye appointment at specsavers where they told me I needed new glasses. The girl that helped me pick the glasses didn’t explain the NHS voucher properly, and just basically told me to pick 2 pairs of glasses anywhere, so I randomly picked and ended up having to pay £89, with one pair being designer and one pair not. Could I have gotten two pairs for cheaper?
yes you can get glasses cheaper online, and there would be some cheaper frames but that is a decent deal.
Kathy89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Ordering online is much cheaper if you are not looking for designer glasses.
Do you really need two pairs? I do recommend having a back up pair, but older glasses with slightly lower prescripiton are good enough for back up. One decent pair costs around $30-$40. No need to buy two...
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Bossman in Turkey would give you 25 for that price
bulbasaur55
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Lol the person just told me to pick two for some kind of NHS deal, what’s done is done I guess, next time i’ll make sure to buy online
(Original post by Kathy89)
Ordering online is much cheaper if you are not looking for designer glasses.
Do you really need two pairs? I do recommend having a back up pair, but older glasses with slightly lower prescripiton are good enough for back up. One decent pair costs around $30-$40. No need to buy two...
sinfonietta
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I paid more than that for a single pair of frames - so it sounds good to me!
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You probably could have gone cheaper but would have ended up compromising on quality as a result. £89 for two pairs of glasses is a really good deal.
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
That's pretty decent! Mine were £95 for just one frame.
miss.eleanora
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Buying online means your glasses will be unfitted, possibly the wrong size for your head and no aftercare and if your glasses are unclear then they are not liable it's whoever did your test and as the glasses are not theirs they won't remake them. A lot of risk when you think about it.
999tigger
Report 5 days ago
They have different ranges.
You also dont have to buy 2 pairs and could probably just have got one free pair.
You can also look at places like glasses direct over the internet especially at sales time.
Kathy89
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by miss.eleanora)
Buying online means your glasses will be unfitted, possibly the wrong size for your head and no aftercare and if your glasses are unclear then they are not liable it's whoever did your test and as the glasses are not theirs they won't remake them. A lot of risk when you think about it.
People who buy online most likely know how to measure sizes... in addition, you can always use the sizes of your old glasses (or the ones you tried at the store) to are what fits... but you do have a point... however, the price difference covers the errors you can make....
(funny to say, I am an optometrist)
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Rid The Kid
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
got mine for free
Delusion6
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Well I spent £90 on ONE pair of glasses so yeah that is a REALLY good deal to me!
Fermion.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I work at Vision Express. Before I used to work there I used to buy my frames online and do the measures myself. It's a lot cheaper online especially for patients with higher prescriptions.
rimstone
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Getting 2 pairs is a bit of a waste, if you have a pair of old glasses IMO, ive always got a back-up and never end up using them ... now i have 2 backs ups + 3 old glases; from over 6 yrs.

i would just use the money to thin the lenses if i were you, or if your lenses are big. thinner lenses are a lot more comfortale.
Themysticalegg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Sounds good, I used to pay £150 per pair. :rofl:
miss.eleanora
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Kathy89)
People who buy online most likely know how to measure sizes... in addition, you can always use the sizes of your old glasses (or the ones you tried at the store) to are what fits... but you do have a point... however, the price difference covers the errors you can make....
(funny to say, I am an optometrist)
Would be interesting to see them adjust the arms without a heater! Haha, hair dryer at the ready, perhaps okay for SV but anything else too risky
Josh279
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Just remember that ordering glasses online from a "cheap" website will often lead to a letter from HMRC witholding them until you pay a large tax fee for the importation.
Kathy89
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by miss.eleanora)
Would be interesting to see them adjust the arms without a heater! Haha, hair dryer at the ready, perhaps okay for SV but anything else too risky
It is not the best even for aspheric free form SV designs, they can't fit the height so it not that accurate and can cause distortions and aberrations. Not even speaking about progressive lenses, tried ordering once.... never again (I use progressives sometimes... my full prescription is progressives, usually use glasses only for distance so can use SV without real problem). Progressives from zenni are not even close to the quality of fit of the ones an optometrist can fit.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
jono73
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hi, I buy my specs online, if you have an idea of what shape of glasses you want . A website called selectspecs which have used for many years. You could of got 2 pairs with the voucher range. You have a 28 days cooling of period with specsavers to change your glasses. I bet she did not tell you that. Most opticians work of sales . So they try to sale frames
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (146)
17.65%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.95%
No I am happy with my course choice (487)
58.89%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (120)
14.51%

Watched Threads