The Student Room Group

Weekend

Is it true that Oxford Colleges have tutorials at the weekend (Sat/Sun)?
Hola Spacejam22,

Here's an extract from our academic handbook which we issue to Tutors and which includes the results of regular consultations with our students:

There are no restrictions on the timing of Tutorial teaching during normal hours. For guidance, normal working hours are Monday to Friday 9.00am to 12.00 noon (when students take lunch) and 1.30pm 6pm (when an evening meal is available). The specific scheduling of Tutorials is set by individual academics, following consultation with students. On occasion, it may be necessary for an academic to schedule teaching during lunch, in the evening, or even at weekends. Where it is possible, however, academics are encouraged to arrange teaching during week days during normal hours. At other times it is harder to draw on support should this be needed which may be a consideration particularly if a single student is attending a Tutorial.

As you can see, we don't consider weekend Tutorials to be the norm. We would make the further observation though that Brasenose is a lively place during the weekends with a lot of social and sports activities, plus some students doing some work as well (!). The same is generally true across Oxford, we think. Many UK university campuses are very quiet at weekends in comparison with a high proportion of undergrads going home. Our students do a bit of that as well but by and large they enjoy chilling here.

Brasenose Admissions
Original post by Spacejam22
Is it true that Oxford Colleges have tutorials at the weekend (Sat/Sun)?
I think I've read posts by @nexttime saying that some medicine tutorials happen on Saturdays? Could be misremembering though, hence tagging him in :colondollar:
I think we had maybe 3-4 tutorials at the weekend in the 2 years of pre-clinical medicine. Not often. The most antisocial was 8am on a Sunday.

Its definitely not limited to medicine - my chemist friends had it too. The policy cited by BrasenoseAdm seems accurate - in that it only happens exceptionally.

Edit: Cambridge does regular Saturday lectures IIRC though.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Thanks for the responses. I’ve been told that Cambridge medicine is Mon - Fri always so l think that tips it for me towards a Cambridge application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending