ch1mp2302
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am just about to get into a level biology, I just finished my gcses and I am confident I will pass biology since I have done good in all my mocks and found the papers not hard at all. I intend to buy a microscope so that I can practice the skills for biology.

Should I even buy a microscope? And if yes, any suggestions on a microscope that is under £100 and in Amazon.
Thanks
naem071
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ch1mp2302)
I am just about to get into a level biology, I just finished my gcses and I am confident I will pass biology since I have done good in all my mocks and found the papers not hard at all. I intend to buy a microscope so that I can practice the skills for biology.

Should I even buy a microscope? And if yes, any suggestions on a microscope that is under £100 and in Amazon.
Thanks
No, for many reasons. Firstly, the microscope isn't going to be the same quality (resolution, magnification etc) as the ones in your college. Secondly, you won't physically be assessed on how to use a microscope in any exams, it's a required practical you undertake during the course and the use of it is pretty simple. Thirdly, how do you plan on making slides with stains, specimens and so on - I'm not sure you fully understand the extent of the costs associated with using the microscope, and you almost certainly will barely use it so don't waste the money.
Ezzy19
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No, you are wasting your money. The previous reply was spot on. The resolution of the microscope wouldn't be good for that price. Your school/college should have microscopes available for A'Level students, which should be sufficient for you. Very little of the syllabus relies on microscope use. At degree level you would use them more often.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (358)
84.04%
No (68)
15.96%

Watched Threads