The Student Room Group

MSc Financial Management university of manchester

Hello everyone,

just would like to see if i can get some advice on this..

https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/masters/courses/list/12510/msc-financial-management/

Im currenly doing ACCA, and like pursue a masters degree in finance someday with a good ranking university. Im not based in the UK.

I come across this , which is an online course, and costs 20.5K in total.

They mentioned that this is a conversion degree? and because its online blended learning , do you think this is a MSc that will be valued by employers?

Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by llkkjj

They mentioned that this is a conversion degree? and because its online blended learning , do you think this is a MSc that will be valued by employers?

Thank you.

Looks expensive! I think the term 'conversion degree' means that it is designed for students who did not take relevant undergraduate degrees. For example someone with a degree in History or Psychology might have a look at this course. Would it be valued by employers? I think you should check with employers in countries you might look to work in. Masters degrees have not been such a big deal in the UK as they are in some other places.

By the way - if you are doing ACCA why not take the UCL distance learning masters degree? Its a lot cheaper. The course above seems to have a lot of overlap with ACCA which could be good but you are paying to repeat materials.
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
Looks expensive! I think the term 'conversion degree' means that it is designed for students who did not take relevant undergraduate degrees. For example someone with a degree in History or Psychology might have a look at this course. Would it be valued by employers? I think you should check with employers in countries you might look to work in. Masters degrees have not been such a big deal in the UK as they are in some other places.

By the way - if you are doing ACCA why not take the UCL distance learning masters degree? Its a lot cheaper. The course above seems to have a lot of overlap with ACCA which could be good but you are paying to repeat materials.

Hi ajj2000,

Thank you for the above , yes , i have looked into the UCL one, but i think that is master in professional accountancy.. but since ACCA is already equivalent to a Masters , i don't know how much value it really adds..

I'm interested in Doing an MBA afterwards, but from my research , some people suggests a masters in finance might be more relevant for me as i don't have much managerial experience. Im on route to getting an Bsc from oxford brookes university for applied accounting. however, i see that most good finance programs require degrees in a quantitative subject and accounts is not one of them... so just checking my options.

One motivating factor for me is that university of Manchester is ranked on the top 30 universities in the world , so with my very limited academic background, this is probably the best ranking university i could potentially get into..
Reply 3
Original post by llkkjj
Hi ajj2000,

Thank you for the above , yes , i have looked into the UCL one, but i think that is master in professional accountancy.. but since ACCA is already equivalent to a Masters , i don't know how much value it really adds..

I'm interested in Doing an MBA afterwards, but from my research , some people suggests a masters in finance might be more relevant for me as i don't have much managerial experience. Im on route to getting an Bsc from oxford brookes university for applied accounting. however, i see that most good finance programs require degrees in a quantitative subject and accounts is not one of them... so just checking my options.

One motivating factor for me is that university of Manchester is ranked on the top 30 universities in the world , so with my very limited academic background, this is probably the best ranking university i could potentially get into..

I guess with the UCL masters part of the consideration is whether you prefer the look of the course to taking two of the optional papers (although you can take a slightly reduced course plus 2 options). I think the value is more about being able to state that you have a masters degree than anything particularly different to ACCA. That could be important in a lot of countries, or applying to jobs in some multinationals where masters degrees are an expectation.

Why not get a few years experience and then take an MBA? Normal finance masters are somewhat different to accounting/ finance courses as they are highly mathematical. A great route for someone with a maths/ physics degree and aiming at a different sort of job on the whole.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending