ThePositivePanda
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'd like to do a degree/career in law and was planning on choosing English Literature, Religious Studies and Law at A-Level. I am aware that I have picked 1 facilitating subject (English Literature) and 1 that is regarded as a soft subject (Law).

I'm not sure whether these subjects are good for Law. I'm not necessarily going for the RG unis because I know there are many other good ones outside RG. But I am aware of the vast amount of content and reading in Law, so maybe I should do another facilitating subject. Please, tell me your thoughts!
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Firstly the idea of 'facilitating subjects' was ever really only an LSE-thing, and now the entire RG have had a total rethink about this : https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...s-subjects-hit

Its a good idea to be doing one essay subject, but other than that most top Unis will accept any 3 subjects for Law - all they are interested in is 3 high grades, and actually that could be in 3 sciences or whatever. Law certainly isn't regarded as 'soft' (another urban myth) - its up there with other essay subjects like Politics and Sociology, but remember that you don't need to have A level Law to do a degree in Law. So pick three A level subjects you enjoy, and where you are most confident about getting 3 high grades.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A law degree doesn't require certain subjects or an idealistic combination. All they care about is whether you get high grades in your subjects and a good personal statement as some unis put an emphasis on it since they don't know how compatible you are with the course; some unis require you to take the LNAT test to see how you work with situations and your essay and its structure to be hard so getting the average will be amazing in terms of the marks. An essay base subject will help you with the course but it's not a requirement so just choose the subjects you want/like or good at.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads