What happens if you're ill on an exam day? Watch

This discussion is closed.
x=o
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I'm feeling pretty ropey and have been throwing up essentially all day today and all of yesterday. I'll probably be better by tonight/tomorrow, but if it continues until my exam tomorrow - what do I do?

If I attend the exam will I be given any extra marks? what if I'm too ill to even sit the exam? will I need a doctor's note? is that even allowed? what will happen to my grade? etc etc

Thanks
Diaz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think if you are OK tomorrow morning you should sit the exam and get one of those special consideration forms.
Ruthie!
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Get your mum to ring in and ask, but a docs note should be ok, but they might make you sit it at homoe and an invigilator come to your house.
Thud
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
tough ****.
Titch89
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Get a doctor's note and do the exam. Is it possible for you to do the exam in January instead? When I was off in Year 13 (just had an operation) the exams I'd missed then, I had to do in June.
Dreamy_whisper
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Would you be able to do it in an empty classroom with an invigilator that's close to a toilet?
sdt
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Depends. In extreme circumstances they will use your predicted grade as the mark you got on that paper. In others, special considerations are given, yet in other cases it's tough ****.
brightxburns
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oh no, poor you! If you're ill, but able to think and write, definitely get a doctor's note and a special consideration form. But if you're too ill to actually do the exam... I don't know, it depends on your school's & the exam board's policy.
brightxburns
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Cereal Killer II)
Depends. In extreme circumstances they will use your predicted grade as the mark you got on that paper. In others, special considerations are given, yet in other cases it's tough ****.
Is it really 'tough ****'? Surely they can't just give you 0 marks on a paper, because of things entirely out of your control? Considering that these exams are so important.
Titch89
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by brightxburns)
Is it really 'tough ****'? Surely they can't just give you 0 marks on a paper, because of things entirely out of your control? Considering that these exams are so important.
If the OP didn't turn up, they can.
Sky Twilight
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Why can't they just wait until the OP gets better to do it? Surely, being ill is going to affect her results.. not like she will be revising when she's throwing up.
Titch89
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
They can't. The exam board states when the exam has to be done.
mollymustard
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've heard that for sickness on the day of the exam you get approx 3-5% added to your score.
Which isnt really that great to be honest. If you're really feeling bad then you may be better off not taking it.
Get your mum to ring the school and see what they say.

You will also need to get someone to email your Unis and explain that it was out of your control and you were ill in the exam period.

Hope you feel better soon
talespirit
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My friend had to sit her IB exams when she had dengue fever.
IrishBoyO
Report 11 years ago
where i work every1 is sick with sore throats and cough all the time, i have a 3 hour long eng lit 2maro and my throat is killing me, it's s dry and feels lik sum1 is chocking me, but i need to do well in this test and at the moment all i want to do is sleep cause the coughing kept me up all night!
help, what shud i say 2maro?
sdt
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mollymustard)
I've heard that for sickness on the day of the exam you get approx 3-5% added to your score.
Which isnt really that great to be honest. If you're really feeling bad then you may be better off not taking it.
Get your mum to ring the school and see what they say.

You will also need to get someone to email your Unis and explain that it was out of your control and you were ill in the exam period.

Hope you feel better soon
Are you nuts? 3-5% is the difference between an average B and an A grade.
x=o
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Okay, so it's possible to get a little added on because of illness. I'm just really hoping it doesn't affect my writing/thinking too much

Thanks everyone
Rocking-Rob
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It's possible but not guaranteed.
LaurenFah
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I was sent to hospital the first day of my first exam of AS levels.

It lasted a week. The exact exam period.

I had to do them all in January instead with the A levels too, in total doing 20+ exams.
mollymustard
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Cereal Killer II)
Are you nuts? 3-5% is the difference between an average B and an A grade.
Yes, but if you only get the 5% added in one unit, its not going to make a great deal of a difference.
Probably a few UMS at the most.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (45)
24.46%
No, but I have thought about it (49)
26.63%
No (90)
48.91%

Watched Threads