The Student Room Group

BTEC Music

So, I have chosen BTEC Music as a GCSE, I don't particularly understand what BTECs are when you choose an option in Year 8/9. So once I completed this BTEC course would I need to do A-Level in music or something else?
Reply 1
Original post by EeliyaNayeri
So, I have chosen BTEC Music as a GCSE, I don't particularly understand what BTECs are when you choose an option in Year 8/9. So once I completed this BTEC course would I need to do A-Level in music or something else?

It depends on what you would like to do in the future. Secondary schools are doing BTEC Firsts such as Level 1 and Level 2 certificates and awards. BTEC Level 2 is an equivalent to GCSE , BTEC level 3 Diploma is an equivalent to 2 A-levels and BTEC level 3 extended diploma is an equivalent to 3 A-levels. You can't work in music industry or go to uni with BTEC First (level 1 and 2) so you have to do A-levels (1 A-level in Music and 2 different subjects) or BTEC Level 3 National Diploma and then BTEC level 3 Extended diploma in Music. After A-levels (2 year course) you can go to university (only) and after BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma (2 year course) you can go to university and work, so it depends on you what course you will apply for.
Original post by Carbonx
It depends on what you would like to do in the future. Secondary schools are doing BTEC Firsts such as Level 1 and Level 2 certificates and awards. BTEC Level 2 is an equivalent to GCSE , BTEC level 3 Diploma is an equivalent to 2 A-levels and BTEC level 3 extended diploma is an equivalent to 3 A-levels. You can't work in music industry or go to uni with BTEC First (level 1 and 2) so you have to do A-levels (1 A-level in Music and 2 different subjects) or BTEC Level 3 National Diploma and then BTEC level 3 Extended diploma in Music. After A-levels (2 year course) you can go to university (only) and after BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma (2 year course) you can go to university and work, so it depends on you what course you will apply for.

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending