BradM99
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I got a D on my English Language GCSE a few years ago and I decided that I really want to change that now as I know what I want to do in life (I had no motivation through school so passing everything else was a miracle)

I understand that the exam season has just finished for this year, but is there a chance for me to resit English Language privately in November or will I be out of luck until next summer?

I'd really like to get it done fast as it's currently holding me back
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BradM99)
I got a D on my English Language GCSE a few years ago and I decided that I really want to change that now as I know what I want to do in life (I had no motivation through school so passing everything else was a miracle)

I understand that the exam season has just finished for this year, but is there a chance for me to resit English Language privately in November or will I be out of luck until next summer?

The specification has been updated for the new grade 9-1 GCSE.
For AQA (I'm not certain if for every examiner) in addition to 2 exam papers you have to complete a spoken language assessment done in the exam centre and marked by teachers to complete the qualification. Although it contributes nothing to the grade, you have to pass it. This means that your best approach is probably to attend free part time lessons at a local college or adult learning centre and do the exams in summer 2020. You might be lucky and find a centre that could do this for the November exam series.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago

What is it you want to do?

As GDUNNE says the NEA spoken assessment is a niggle, but you can find centres who will do it for you.

It says on AQA as an example.
June 2019

This qualification is available to private candidates with the followoing condition:.

Spoken language (endorsement) (NEA) (8700/C)
The entering centre must provide private candidates the opportunity to complete this component.
If the candidate has certificated in a previous series, then the result for the endorsement can be carried forward.
This qualification is not available to students at schools and colleges in Northern Ireland.

Dates for exams in 2019 are 4th and 6th November. am.
BradM99
Rep:
?
I did my exams in summer 2016. I do remember doing a spoken presentation. Would that count as the new systems spoken language endorsement? And to answer your question I am aiming to resit English Language at the closest possible date.
(Original post by 999tigger)
What is it you want to do?

As GDUNNE says the NEA spoken assessment is a niggle, but you can find centres who will do it for you.

It says on AQA as an example.
June 2019

This qualification is available to private candidates with the followoing condition:.

Spoken language (endorsement) (NEA) (8700/C)
The entering centre must provide private candidates the opportunity to complete this component.
If the candidate has certificated in a previous series, then the result for the endorsement can be carried forward.
This qualification is not available to students at schools and colleges in Northern Ireland.

Dates for exams in 2019 are 4th and 6th November. am.
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
I did my exams in summer 2016. I do remember doing a spoken presentation. Would that count as the new systems spoken language endorsement? And to answer your question I am aiming to resit English Language at the closest possible date.
Different spec you would need to check with the exam board if it would be transferable, plus get evidence from the school or exam board. Cross spec might not work.
I meant after the English .
BradM99
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Different spec you would need to check with the exam board if it would be transferable, plus get evidence from the school or exam board. Cross spec might not work.
I meant after the English .
Ah OK, I will speak to my old school tomorrow and hope for a November resit.
After this resit I'm hoping to be given the chance to study Japanese in Tokyo. I've been studying for a while but I'm at a point where I want to commit to it and because of the nature of the language, travelling is the best opportunity I've been given.
I know Eng Lang isn't exactly a needed qualification for learning a language but to be honest the fail has been hanging over me ever since I got it. I really didn't care for anything throughout my education so I'm just trying to make up for that now before I commit myself to a few more years of education
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
After this resit I'm hoping to be given the chance to study Japanese in Tokyo. I've been studying for a while but I'm at a point where I want to commit to it and because of the nature of the language, travelling is the best opportunity I've been given.
I know Eng Lang isn't exactly a needed qualification for learning a language but to be honest the fail has been hanging over me ever since I got it. I really didn't care for anything throughout my education so I'm just trying to make up for that now before I commit myself to a few more years of education
Matters in the UK, no idea about international.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The endorsement is not transferable. YOu would have to do the new one.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (24)
9.02%
Confident (32)
12.03%
Indifferent (46)
17.29%
Unsure (69)
25.94%
Worried (95)
35.71%

Watched Threads