My school is very harsh on predicted grades

Watch this thread
ArcusF
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Heyy
Last year my school only predicted 4 people out of 120 A* for maths.
Only 5

got A* prediction for physics
And no one got A* prediction for computer science last year

What can I do, speaking to the year 13, they said nothing can be done and it’s too late, the head of departments are too harsh.
I done my exams and will be getting my predictions this September.
I need A*AA and the exam was very hard apart from computer science.
What can I do ?
username4310824
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ArcusF)
Heyy
Only 5

What can I do, speaking to the year 13, they said nothing can be done and it’s too late, the head of departments are too harsh.
What can I do ?
If you don't know your predicted grades yet there's no point panicking about it now.

If worse comes to worst and you get predicted below what you need, I'd still apply to a few universities that have higher requirements as sometimes they can be quite lenient.

There's also the option of adjustment on results day where you can apply to other universities if you did better than expected.

If all that fails, you can take a gap year and then apply to universities with your actual grades.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Heyy
Only 5

What can I do ?
It's not that common for people to get A* so is it possible that the limited number they gave out was a true reflection of people's realistic chances of getting an A*?

You are unlikely to get A*AA predictions if you didn' t do exceptionally well in the exams but schools are normally willing to be a little leniant on predicted grades (at my school we predict one grade higher if course work has been good but not normally higher than that). You could still get offers from A*AA unis even if your predictions are lower since they know people can improve, and you can also apply to a range of unis from A*AA - ABB say, or whatever it is you actually achieved in the exams.
ArcusF
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I go to a grammar school so yes but my school doesn’t move any grades up or down. It stays like that until you apply and do the a level exam
harrysbar
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I go to a grammar school so yes but my school doesn’t move any grades up or down. It stays like that until you apply and do the a level exam
Grammar schools are stricter than most other schools so that's unfortunate but you can still apply to a range of unis including ones asking for higher than your predicted grades. You may well still get A*AA offers despite not having those predictions, and then it will be up to you to actually achieve them, as well as having a solid Insurance choice in place in case you don't.
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I would still apply to at least two Uni's with a typical offer one grade higher than your predictions. You have to set your expectations that you might not get an offer, but unless it's extraordinarily competitive, you're likely to still be considered.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (94)
20.17%
The paper was reasonable (178)
38.2%
Not feeling great about that exam... (119)
25.54%
It was TERRIBLE (75)
16.09%

Watched Threads