TheWinterSoilder
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So on my Cv i said i volunteered in my local library for a year (despite only doing work experience for a week). I accepted the job offer and now the company are asking for a reference. I know I screwed up but is it likely I'll get caught out?
sunshinehss
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Potentially but you can still get the library people to write you a reference just ask them to underline your duties and focus on your character. Alternatively I'm sure you could ask your school/college (current, past etc.) for a reference.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Who volunteers at a library for an entire year? :lolwut:
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You lied. You will get caught
(Original post by TheWinterSoilder)
So on my Cv i said i volunteered in my local library for a year (despite only doing work experience for a week). I accepted the job offer and now the company are asking for a reference. I know I screwed up but is it likely I'll get caught out?
sunshinehss
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Lmao back when I was a neek this was my dream job 😭😭🤦🏾*♀️
(Original post by Quick-use)
AndrewCS
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Is the prior work at the library related to the job you have secured? If not, then don't use them as a reference - get your school or director of studies to provide a reference instead.
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sunshinehss)
Lmao back when I was a neek this was my dream job 😭😭🤦🏾*♀️
It was actually my dream job when I was 13 or 14 :lol:. But, that's because all I wanted to do was to read books all day. Pretty sure I could've done that without volunteering at a library for a year... :lolwut:
Fermion.
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If they specify they want a reference from your previous employer then you’re ****ed.

If not then you can give someone else as a reference
TheWinterSoilder
Rep:
?
Yh they asked for 2 references 😬. I was only there for work experience but most of the staff have been switched out for new employee's. Do you think there's a chance I don't get found out
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You will almost certainly be found out if you use the library. When employers don't want to give a reference, or can't remember the person etc then the minimum they give are the dates of employment/volunteering. Confirming the dates you were there is about the most certain thing you can be sure they will mention.

Use a different referee!
TheWinterSoilder
Rep:
?
The store is Debenhams. Should I just call in to tell them
sunshinehss
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am you. You are me. We are one.:beer:
It was actually my dream job when I was 13 or 14 :lol:. But, that's because all I wanted to do was to read books all day. Pretty sure I could've done that without volunteering at a library for a year... :lolwut:
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did in sixth form. We had to volunteer somewhere for 1 afternoon a week for a year and the library was a much more appealing option than a primary school or a charity shop.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
3.76%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
17.29%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
18.05%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (18)
13.53%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (39)
29.32%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
18.05%

Watched Threads