The Student Room Group

Training Contracts possible with some 2:2s?

----
(edited 4 years ago)
Nevermind, accidentally put this in the wrong thread and I can't seem to delete it
Original post by lawgrad16-19
Honestly couldn't find the answer anywhere so asking here.
I attended a Russell Group University, just got final grades back. 63 overall, which is meh already, and 2:2 in Property and Tort. Ouch.
I had a serious illness in second year which caused me to defer those two modules, so I had to take six modules in third year (instead of the typical four). Combine that with serious family issues and the grades just weren't up to scratch.

I've done two vacation schemes at American law firms, but I decided I hate purely transactional work and would like to do personal injury or clinical negligence or family law or private client or something... However I got a 60 in Family Law and a 2:2 in Tort, so... Probably impossible. I did assessment days at Irwin Mitchell and Fieldfisher, but that was before I got these terrible grades back.

I have a long history of work experience, including several menial part time jobs, and some more interesting ones like tutor, film critic, and small business owner. My additional problem is that I'm foreign and I need a visa, so a lot of firms just shut the door before I even apply and say they don't sponsor.

I'm seriously worried. I need to get a job soon or I'm going to be kicked out of the country, I've got one app cycle left to go. Are those 2:2's going to make it impossible to get a training contract now? I don't mind biting the bullet and working at a commercial firm I don't enjoy that much just to pay off debt, get experience and get settled here in the UK - can always move later.

What happened with the assessment days?

If you can get a contract then get one . Id have thought PI was easier as its lower money, the issue is less profitable firms have less money and will be less likely to sponsor you. You still have a 2:1.

The choice you can make is go home now or try.

Training contracts dont come round that quickly. The bigger issue is sponsorship. Some people manage it, so at least try and then see where it gets you.
I would do some research on firm and try to id what your level is, not too high but high enough. It might be worth making a list of 50, then ringing round or emailing just asking if they will consider applications from international graduates or not. Send them and see or give up and go home.
Evan Erdinger on youtube managed it and he's a funny guy. he did it off the back of a masters non law. Lost his job three times but has still managed to become eligible for ilr. His videos will make you laugh if nothing else.

https://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/personnel/permits/overseas/

Quick Reply

Latest