Training Contract possible with some 2:2s? Watch

lawgrad16-19
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Honestly couldn't find the answer anywhere so asking here.

I attended a Russell Group University, just got final grades back. 63 overall, which is meh already, and 2:2 in Property and Tort. Ouch.

I had a serious illness in second year which caused me to defer those two modules, so I had to take six modules in third year (instead of the typical four). Combine that with serious family issues and the grades just weren't up to scratch.

I've done two vacation schemes at American law firms, but I decided I hate purely transactional work and would like to do personal injury or clinical negligence or family law or private client or something... However I got a 60 in Family Law and a 2:2 in Tort, so... Probably impossible. I did assessment days at Irwin Mitchell and Fieldfisher, but that was before I got these terrible grades back.

I have a long history of work experience, including several menial part time jobs, and some more interesting ones like tutor, film critic, and small business owner. My additional problem is that I'm foreign and I need a visa, so a lot of firms just shut the door before I even apply and say they don't sponsor.

I'm seriously worried. I need to get a job soon or I'm going to be kicked out of the country, I've got one app cycle left to go. Are those 2:2's going to make it impossible to get a training contract now? I don't mind biting the bullet and working at a commercial firm I don't enjoy that much just to pay off debt, get experience and get settled here in the UK - can always move later.
sanjsk03
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
JSP Would be the best oerson to confirm. Some Commercial firms do accept 2:2 like gowling WLG also Civil services accept 2:2. I think if you want to get into Clin Neg or Personal injury etc the best thing would be to apply for paralegal/legal assistant roles (If you cant secure a TC of course) I am currently at a Employment and Civil law firm who deal with clin neg cases for Dr's, I applied via the legal assistant route.

Hope this helps a bit!
lawgrad16-19
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I do have a 2:1 overall, I meant would getting 2:2 in some modules be a problem. But yes, welcome any advice

Also can't be a paralegal, I've never heard of a firm that sponsors a visa for a paralegal. Many won't even sponsor a visa for a solicitor, I can't apply to 1/3 of firms because they don't sponsor.

(Original post by sanjsk03)
JSP Would be the best oerson to confirm. Some Commercial firms do accept 2:2 like gowling WLG also Civil services accept 2:2. I think if you want to get into Clin Neg or Personal injury etc the best thing would be to apply for paralegal/legal assistant roles (If you cant secure a TC of course) I am currently at a Employment and Civil law firm who deal with clin neg cases for Dr's, I applied via the legal assistant route.

Hope this helps a bit!
Last edited by lawgrad16-19; 1 week ago
sanjsk03
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
To be completely honest with you, I don't know enough about visa sponsorship within law firms. 2:1 overall is fine though I wouldn't worry about your 2:2's.

Best of luck with your future. I'm sure it will all work out for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (121)
19.42%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (58)
9.31%
No I am happy with my course choice (352)
56.5%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (92)
14.77%

Watched Threads