Buying a Car Watch

J_E
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi,

I passed my driving test on Monday the 1st of July and I want to start driving as soon as possible.

The main issue for me is having to afford it all. I work full time as an apprentice but my wage isn't that great. I pay £100 a month in rent and also have to pay for my phone bill and other essentials that I need. I have decided to only spend money if I have to and am trying to save as much as possible in the meantime.

However, I may be able to get a car through my dads work which will include everything but fuel. This would be ideal and would leave me with a fair bit of money for fuel. However, when I try and talk to my dad he seems to not be bothered by it and just tries to avoid doing it. I really want to start driving asap and the lead time for the car to arrive would be around 12 weeks. I don't quite know how to feel about this as I am not sure if this will be available to my age bracket, I am 17, and just want to know if this would be a viable option.

I have also worked out I may be able to afford it through another company but insurance is like £2500 for the first year, and this is a black box policy.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated as it is really frustrating putting so much time, effort and money into getting my licence however, I am now faced with the prospect that I will not be able to afford to drive.
sachinisgod
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
1. I would be very surprised if large firms can lease cars to their employers' 17 year old kids? Partners maybe, under 18 kids, definitely not. Your insurance alone would make it unrealistic for the firm. Maybe the reason your dad is not bothered about it is maybe because you cannot get the car in the first place.

2. If someone passes their driving test, it is not an automatic right to own a car. Once you have a job that allows you to save up for a deposit for a new car AND pay monthly instalments ( if on PCP etc) then thats the time you get one. Till then either use public transport or a bike or walk. Worst comes to worst get a banger for 800-900 quid BUT your insurance and maintenance would be sky high in that option.

Im not trying to be an arse but thats the harsh reality of life kid.
Igori
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Wait for more on rulites to syto. Zhdpli more.
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Don't buy a car if you can't afford it. Simple.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (150)
17.71%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.85%
No I am happy with my course choice (501)
59.15%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.29%

Watched Threads