Warning light on car Watch

cherryred90s
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I had a red warning light flash on my car and then the car stopped and refused to move for about a minute. I now understand that it has something to do with low engine oil/pressure. I’ve arranged for it to be seen at the dealership I bought it from. Is this a serious issue, and Is it safe to drive there?
cherryred90s
Rep:
?
Bump
(Original post by cherryred90s)
I had a red warning light flash on my car and then the car stopped and refused to move for about a minute. I now understand that it has something to do with low engine oil/pressure. I’ve arranged for it to be seen at the dealership I bought it from. Is this a serious issue, and Is it safe to drive there?
tesconyc
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
what make is it?
ds3
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by tesconyc; 2 weeks ago
cherryred90s
Rep:
?
Peugeot 108
(Original post by tesconyc)
what make is it
keptinside
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Check if the piston’s oil isn’t leaking.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No.. it's not safe to drive..

Any damage has already been done. Prepare to buy a new engine
cherryred90s
Rep:
?
(Original post by IWMTom)
No.. it's not safe to drive..

Any damage has already been done. Prepare to buy a new engine
I have warranty with the car, so surely any work that needs doing is covered? It’s only 3 years old. This is all so frustrating
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I have warranty with the car, so surely any work that needs doing is covered? It’s only 3 years old. This is all so frustrating
Warranty doesn't cover you if you didn't check your oil level.
cherryred90s
Rep:
?
Warranty doesn't cover you if you didn't check your oil level.
It was serviced and inspected immediately before I bought it (which was only a couple of weeks ago) so I don’t see how any of this is my fault. If it was a recent problem that occurred after I got it, shouldn’t there have been a yellow warning light first? There wasn’t.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It was serviced and inspected immediately before I bought it (which was only a couple of weeks ago) so I don’t see how any of this is my fault. If it was a recent problem that occurred after I got it, shouldn’t there have been a yellow warning light first? There wasn’t.
No, not if it was leaking.
cherryred90s
Rep:
?
No, not if it was leaking.
Right, so if it was leaking then surely that should’ve been picked up when it was serviced ?

If it had only just started leaking in the two weeks since I bought it, surely there must have been an underlying issue with it that wasn’t picked up by them? Or do cars just start to leak oil for no reason?
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Right, so if it was leaking then surely that should’ve been picked up when it was serviced ?

If it had only just started leaking in the two weeks since I bought it, surely there must have been an underlying issue with it that wasn’t picked up by them? Or do cars just start to leak oil for no reason?
Get it towed and checked.
cherryred90s
Rep:
?
Get it towed and checked.
Thank you, I will do
HQazi96
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Oh boy. Engine oil control rings gave out, if you stop using it you may be able to salvage the rotating assembly.
HQazi96
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Oh, and tell the person giving your engine a checkup to take a look at your main crankshaft bearings too. Hopefully if anything did get scuffed it would be the bearings and not the crank.

Also, if you do have to change the engine, see if your block and head are in good shape, it will reduce your cost if you do end up paying for it (most likely scenario if engine got damaged).
LTEcactus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Did you hear any strange noises from the engine when this happened?
cherryred90s
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by HQazi96)
Oh, and tell the person giving your engine a checkup to take a look at your main crankshaft bearings too. Hopefully if anything did get scuffed it would be the bearings and not the crank.

Also, if you do have to change the engine, see if your block and head are in good shape, it will reduce your cost if you do end up paying for it (most likely scenario if engine got damaged).
Alright thanks. I’ll see what they say when I take it in on Monday
LTEcactus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No not always, you should be regularly checking the oil level, especially if you're going on a long journey.

What was the oil level like when you bought it?
cherryred90s
Rep:
?
(Original post by LTEcactus)
Did you hear any strange noises from the engine when this happened?
No. The car just stopped for about a minute, that’s it
cherryred90s
Rep:
?
(Original post by LTEcactus)
No not always, you should be regularly checking the oil level, especially if you're going on a long journey.

What was the oil level like when you bought it?
I didn’t think I needed to check the oil level of a car that had just been serviced before I bought it.
How often am I supposed to be checking it?
I’ve no idea what the oil level was when I got it...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (146)
17.65%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.95%
No I am happy with my course choice (487)
58.89%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (120)
14.51%

Watched Threads