Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys!

Just got my first year results for Law:

Contract 66, Public 66, EU 65 and Crim 58 :O

So averaging 64

Done a lot of work experience but had a pretty rough year in terms of depression and almost having surgery a week before that crim exam due to a severe infection..

Would like some honesty? I know Slaughters say 65 and above, but Shearman and Sterling said they like a good 2:1 and require above 65 in contract (which I believe I have done)

Definitely gained lots of good work schemes and stuff so i think additional things are fine but obviously do want some honest opinions as I start to think of wwhich vacation schemes I will apply to!

HOPE EVERYONE GOT WHAT THEY WANTED! (I understand first year doesnt matter as much for some degrees so chin up everyone!)

(I go to one of the Russel Group London unis, dont want to say which for anonymity. )
Last edited by wantodothebest; 1 month ago
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When I was applying last year, Shearman considered a 65+ to be a 'good' 2.1. Dunno if they've lowered it since.

There's a big difference between minimum and realistic requirements. Everyone I know who actually got a TC at either firm was comfortably on track for a First. Shearman also seems to attract a slightly older crowd - check LinkedIn for this. The 66 in contract isn't a particularly impressive mark.

But anyway there's no reason why you should be pinning your hopes on these two firms - there are plenty of others which would happily take you with these grades (e.g. Links)
Last edited by JohanGRK; 1 month ago
wantodothebest
Rep:
?
(Original post by JohanGRK)
When I was applying last year, Shearman considered a 65+ to be a 'good' 2.1. Dunno if they've lowered it since.

There's a big difference between minimum and realistic requirements. Everyone I know who actually got a TC at either firm was comfortably on track for a First. Shearman also seems to attract a slightly older crowd - check LinkedIn for this. The 66 in contract isn't a particularly impressive mark.

But anyway there's no reason why you should be pinning your hopes on these two firms - there are plenty of others which would happily take you with these grades (e.g. Links)
Thanks for the reply!

You're right , I should definitely not pin myself on firms I dont have the best chance at.

I went to a First YearScheme at Shearman and graduate recruitment said "good 2:1" and "good contract" - He gave us some examples, which were ranging from 64-67% and also mentioned what kind of exentuating circumstances they would accept (I thnk my illnesses, both physical and mental might factor in?)

Do you know anything about Slaughter in this regard? - extenuating circumstances wise?
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by wantodothebest)
Thanks for the reply!

You're right , I should definitely not pin myself on firms I dont have the best chance at.

I went to a First YearScheme at Shearman and graduate recruitment said "good 2:1" and "good contract" - He gave us some examples, which were ranging from 64-67% and also mentioned what kind of exentuating circumstances they would accept (I thnk my illnesses, both physical and mental might factor in?)

Do you know anything about Slaughter in this regard? - extenuating circumstances wise?
I did the same exercise (twice, come to think of it) and I dont remember them specifying a minimum grade for contract or indeed any other subject. And the exercise is a 'trash bin' exercise where you're supposed to spot opportunities for instant rejection (hence the point I.made about realistic grades above).

DeactivatedJul19 is your (wo)man re: extenuating circumstances

The lowest average for a Slaughters vac schemer I've ever found on LinkedIn was a 66 in first year from Bristol (for the LLB) (though people with grades lower than that may not feel comfortable disclosing them etc). Most people get considerably higher than that. Lots of Oxbridge prize winners etc (Oxbridge usually fills up more than 50% of their schemes)
wantodothebest
Rep:
?
I did the same exercise (twice, come to think of it) and I dont remember them specifying a minimum grade for contract or indeed any other subject. And the exercise is a 'trash bin' exercise where you're supposed to spot opportunities for instant rejection (hence the point I.made about realistic grades above).

The lowest average for a Slaughters vac schemer I've ever found on LinkedIn was a 66 in first year from Bristol (for the LLB) (though people with grades lower than that may not feel comfortable disclosing them etc). Most people get considerably higher than that. Lots of Oxbridge prize winners etc (Oxbridge usually fills up more than 50% of their schemes)
Thanks for the honesty.

I think I'll try for maybe a few silver circle and regionals and work on improving my grade to a first class next year when hopefully I don't have to work through such circumstances.

Sucks that everything gets thrown away after one bad year!
wantodothebest
Rep:
?
@johangrk

Just out of curiosity - which vacation schemes did you get?
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for the honesty.

I think I'll try for maybe a few silver circle and regionals and work on improving my grade to a first class next year when hopefully I don't have to work through such circumstances.

Sucks that everything gets thrown away after one bad year!
Worst case scenario, you end up being rejected from a handful of v. academic firms. It's not the end of the world and it doesn't mean you have to resort to looking for vac schemes in the regions.

Will PM
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Aye, no one mentions **** grades on Linky. You go on there to brag, not to share your inadequacies.
wantodothebest
Rep:
?
Kinda...
(Original post by DeactivatedJul19)
Nothing gets thrown away....
Always had good grades (A*A*A*A at A Level), worked really hard to secure competitive first year schemes, done extra societies and won awards for mooting and had a part time job, all to help reach my goal of joining the best law firm I can...

And now a bad first year due to illnessess means I have to let go on my hopes of places like Shearman and Slaughters because academics is fundamental.

I've always known the importance of the exams but becoming so ill a couple weeks before definitely affected me a lot.
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Kinda...

Always had good grades (A*A*A*A at A Level), worked really hard to secure competitive first year schemes, done extra societies and won awards for mooting and had a part time job, all to help reach my goal of joining the best law firm I can...

And now a bad first year due to illnessess means I have to let go on my hopes of places like Shearman and Slaughters because academics is fundamental.

I've always known the importance of the exams but becoming so ill a couple weeks before definitely affected me a lot.
Good thing that there are plenty of places that are 'like' Slaughters or Shearman (dunning why you're obsessed with the latter tbqh, probably the product of first-year naivety)

A good set of second year results will go a long way to offset your first year ones
Palmyra
Report 1 month ago
Why are you so obsessed with S&M and S&S?

S&M is an elitist Oxbridge sweatshop with no international presence, and there are better US firms than S&S.

If you're so worried you can apply for straight TCs next year if you get better grades. Non-Oxbridge 64% is low for those firms but certainly not impossible to get a good VS as long as you interview well.
Last edited by Palmyra; 1 month ago
infiinitee_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've done far worse in my first year! Averaging only a 62 with only a 62 in contract so chin up, don't worry.
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Palmyra)

S&M is an elitist Oxbridge sweatshop with no international presence, and there are better US firms than S&S.

If you're so worried you can apply for straight TCs next year if you get better grades. Non-Oxbridge 64% is low for those firms but certainly not impossible to get a good VS as long as you interview well.
Oxbridge 64% is equally low

Grades over uni...
Palmyra
Report 1 month ago

Grades over uni...
Some US firms recruit almost exclusively Oxbridge and with S&M there's lots of opportunity to network with the partners etc at College dinners with them etc, so I'm not convinced it's entirely true in every case.
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Some US firms recruit almost exclusively Oxbridge and with S&M there's lots of opportunity to network with the partners etc at College dinners with them etc, so I'm not convinced it's entirely true in every case.
Hmu when you find someone at either with an achieved 2.1 and without some significant compensating factor (I know someone at Shearman with a 2.1 from Oxford, but he was an equities guy in a BB for a few years before he joined)

Your vaunted networking won't save crap grades (or other crap fundamentals). It's a bonus for those who are already strong candidates. Oxbridge people on the Slaughters VS had prizes, scholarships and other fancy stuff in the same way non-Oxbridge people did.
Last edited by JohanGRK; 1 month ago
wantodothebest
Rep:
?

I have done quite a few schemes and open days and I just remember really connecting at those two firms and I wanted to aim high...

Do you think its just the 2:2 grade that puts me out of the running? When I went to Slaughters, they said one slip up with a legitimate reason is fine and the grades are just the basis to get your application past the door.
wantodothebest
Rep:
?

Grades over uni...
I agree with this but at the same time, a 68% at Brunel University is different to a 68% from Cambridge?
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree with this but at the same time, a 68% at Brunel University is different to a 68% from Cambridge?
This is rarely something that grad rec at the firms you mentioned face in the real world

You'll find that a firm that looks at academics that seriously would have more than enough First Class hons ppl to consider
wantodothebest
Rep:
?
Im confused, I think Ive misunderstood
This is rarely something that grad rec at the firms you mentioned face in the real world

You'll find that a firm that looks at academics that seriously would have more than enough First Class hons ppl to consider
If you look at which universitys the firms recruit from (percentages of Oxbridge, Russel group and a tiny amount of 'Others') people have first classes or 2:1s.

From all the open days Ive been to, never once met a Brunel University student. And when you go on linkedin, most Brunel students boast about getting 70-80% - something less common at more highly ranked universities. It is easier for them to get those kind of mores as it is easier as it is a less respected university than Oxbridge.

If your point is true, why do they bother recruiting people with strong 2:1s (not mine lol) anyway? Oh yeah, cos they probably do better at assessments and interview.

I think you are a bit unrealistic. Just because someone has a first doesn't mean they are guaranteed the job. Look at Eve Cornwell, when she applied to links, she had a 2:1 and she graduated with a 2:1.
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Im confused, I think Ive misunderstood

If you look at which universitys the firms recruit from (percentages of Oxbridge, Russel group and a tiny amount of 'Others') people have first classes or 2:1s.

From all the open days Ive been to, never once met a Brunel University student. And when you go on linkedin, most Brunel students boast about getting 70-80% - something less common at more highly ranked universities. It is easier for them to get those kind of mores as it is easier as it is a less respected university than Oxbridge.

If your point is true, why do they bother recruiting people with strong 2:1s (not mine lol) anyway? Oh yeah, cos they probably do better at assessments and interview.

I think you are a bit unrealistic. Just because someone has a first doesn't mean they are guaranteed the job. Look at Eve Cornwell, when she applied to links, she had a 2:1 and she graduated with a 2:1.
This has nothing to do with what I said. Good luck with the 64.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Guardian Offices, Kings Cross, London Postgraduate
    Mon, 2 Sep '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (220)
12.45%
Excited (166)
9.39%
Worried (308)
17.43%
Terrified (389)
22.01%
Meh (184)
10.41%
Confused (39)
2.21%