The Student Room Group

What age do you think its perfect to get married?

As said above,
I think its 24 because your still young and still old enough about what life is like
Lets see what you guys will say :wink:

Scroll to see replies

Before 27 and after 25.

Would have given that answer as a range but anything remotely mathematical induces anxiety.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
As said above,
I think its 24 because your still young and still old enough about what life is like
Lets see what you guys will say :wink:

I got married at 22 but i think it's whenever both people are ready to make that sort of commitment, there's no set age.
At whatever age you're prepared to get a divorce.
My Dad says the late twenties because you have the drive and enthusiasm that just seems to dissipate the older one gets

At the end of the day you could have one at 16 or even 60 (for men at least, women have to have a kid before their 40th birthday as any older would endanger the baby and the woman) because responsibility doesn't manifest itself with age - it's a choice

If you can financially take care of the child and will promise yourself to uphold this responsibility, then any age over the legal age of consent is good
Yes... ?

Children always come after marriage, literally no married couple I know doesn't have a kid - if a couple doesn't want a child then there's no point in marrying, case in point Ricky Gervais
Original post by lionheart27
Yes... ?

Children always come after marriage, literally no married couple I know doesn't have a kid - if a couple doesn't want a child then there's no point in marrying, case in point Ricky Gervais

we've always been set on having kids personally but there's legal benefits to marriage/civil partnerships that aren't all to do with children and i think some people in society would still see a spouse as being more serious than saying boyfriend/ girlfriend.
welllll it's recommended not to have children after the age of 35 so depends on whether you want a family.
but I recommend having a long engagement period around 1-2 years, probs get married at 24 / 25
(edited 4 years ago)
Never. Marriage is a trap!
You have no idea who I am, so what you "doubt" literally has no bearing on this discussion at all

Nevertheless, I personally wouldn't want to devote myself to another for life and promise her something like that without also posessing an investment on the level of a child, I'm still very young and I don't want to constrict any other adventures I could have

It's all a matter of personal preference
Original post by Zahra098
welllll it's recommended not to have children after the age of 35 so depends on whether you want a family.
but I recommend having a long engagement period around 1-2 years, probs get married at 24 / 25

Where is it not recommended?
Why would anyone choose to get married with one face for potentially the rest of their lives if they don't intend to have kids? Having kids is what makes married life bearable.
Original post by claireestelle
we've always been set on having kids personally but there's legal benefits to marriage/civil partnerships that aren't all to do with children and i think some people in society would still see a spouse as being more serious than saying boyfriend/ girlfriend.

In my opinion the maximum level of commitment is a child, there's no greater level of trust or emotional investment than that - a marriage legitimises the child as well

I see no point in marrying someone if she wouldn't want a child - it would be no different that being in a normal relationship and would be just operating under a new title, like changing the name of a company. If you're serious with each other then why do you need society to legitimise the relationship?
How about never?

Spoiler

First of all you doubt that I know any married people, then you're saying I'm a pre-teen? I've finished University and are graduating in two weeks - everything you've said is wrong

I know the concept of marriage is scary dude but there's no use trying to imply that the starry-eyed vision of marriage is somehow infantile or childish

I realise that you don't want kids either because you hate yourself, that's cool - but try not to tar others with your peculiarly undersized and telepathic brush in future
Late 20s, early 30s
Original post by lionheart27
In my opinion the maximum level of commitment is a child, there's no greater level of trust or emotional investment than that - a marriage legitimises the child as well

I see no point in marrying someone if she wouldn't want a child - it would be no different that being in a normal relationship and would be just operating under a new title, like changing the name of a company. If you're serious with each other then why do you need society to legitimise the relationship?

I'm illegitimate and that caused me no issues in life, still was seen the same legally when my dad died.
Maybe you don't need society to, but there's legal protections, for example if one of you dies, that you don't have just by living together without putting other things in place like a will and in even in that case being a cohabitting partner doesn't exempt you from tax like being married would.
Never
No they don't. You're talking nonsense. Having kids is a joy for so many couples. Being married without building a family becomes boring.
Original post by claireestelle
I'm illegitimate and that caused me no issues in life, still was seen the same legally when my dad died.
Maybe you don't need society to, but there's legal protections, for example if one of you dies, that you don't have just by living together without putting other things in place like a will and in even in that case being a cohabitting partner doesn't exempt you from tax like being married would.

Well in that case then getting married would be preferable, and when you'll want kids (which you will, eventually) you'll have a solid base of trust to springboard from

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending