Voluntary Placement - Leaving Messages/Gifts Watch

NorthEastSir
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I am thinking about completing a PGCE Primary Education course at University and it was highly recommended for me to gain some experience before applying. Therefore, this summer I am at a primary school where I will be for 4 weeks until the end of the term. I am already half way through.

I am with a Year 6 class and a lot of them are off to my old high school, so I have been giving them tips and information on what it's like, just so it isn't a massive surprise to them.

I am not doing any teaching as such. One, because I have very little knowledge (this is what I would gain during my course) and two, there are very few actual lessons occurring at the minute due to other activities and the time of year it is. However, I have been helping out in the classroom and the children have shown nothing but respect towards me and are always pleasant and well mannered.

I was thinking whilst in bed last night whether I should give them a little card and/or small gift to give to each of the children before the school finishes for summer. The way I look at it is that if I was a teacher and had my own class, I would give them a little card with a message inside for them. But I am a bit unsure with firstly just being a voluntary teaching assistant and secondly, for only being there for a few weeks.

I would appreciate what you guys think!

Thank you!
exams_6700
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Since they are kids then do a survival kit, so get party bags and put:
balloon - To help you reach for the sky / remind you not to 'blow up'
1 coloured pencil -To make your day bright and colourful
rubber band - to stretch yourself beyond your limits
candle - to light the way and guide you
love heart sweets - remind you that you are loved
rubber (eraser) - remind you each day you can start a new slate
gum - remind you to stick to your goal and that you can accomplish anything
kit kat - remind you to take a break and not to tire yourself out
string - tie things together when everything is falling apart
sharpener - remind you to stay sharp
skittles - remind you to find the 'rainbow' in any situation
anyways thats just a few, so put whatever in from these (more online) then get a card paper and write survival kit at the top and basically explain why each thing is there

Name:  51i9Iw-dUoL.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  45.6 KB
(Original post by NorthEastSir)
I am thinking about completing a PGCE Primary Education course at University and it was highly recommended for me to gain some experience before applying. Therefore, this summer I am at a primary school where I will be for 4 weeks until the end of the term. I am already half way through.

I am with a Year 6 class and a lot of them are off to my old high school, so I have been giving them tips and information on what it's like, just so it isn't a massive surprise to them.

I am not doing any teaching as such. One, because I have very little knowledge (this is what I would gain during my course) and two, there are very few actual lessons occurring at the minute due to other activities and the time of year it is. However, I have been helping out in the classroom and the children have shown nothing but respect towards me and are always pleasant and well mannered.

I was thinking whilst in bed last night whether I should give them a little card and/or small gift to give to each of the children before the school finishes for summer. The way I look at it is that if I was a teacher and had my own class, I would give them a little card with a message inside for them. But I am a bit unsure with firstly just being a voluntary teaching assistant and secondly, for only being there for a few weeks.

Thank you!
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by NorthEastSir)

Thank you!
It's a really cute idea, and I did do this for my tutor group when I left my long PGCE placement- but do be aware that this will really quickly add up and get very expensive!

In your situation, I'd first ask the class teacher what they think is appropriate- the school may also have policies against giving out sweets etc.

(Original post by exams_6700)
Since they are kids then do a survival kit, so get party bags and put:
balloon - To help you reach for the sky / remind you not to 'blow up'
1 coloured pencil -To make your day bright and colourful
rubber band - to stretch yourself beyond your limits
candle - to light the way and guide you
love heart sweets - remind you that you are loved
rubber (eraser) - remind you each day you can start a new slate
gum - remind you to stick to your goal and that you can accomplish anything
kit kat - remind you to take a break and not to tire yourself out
string - tie things together when everything is falling apart
sharpener - remind you to stay sharp
skittles - remind you to find the 'rainbow' in any situation
anyways thats just a few, so put whatever in from these (more online) then get a card paper and write survival kit at the top and basically explain why each thing is there

Name:  51i9Iw-dUoL.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  45.6 KB
That's a cute idea but would cost a fortune to do for 30-ish kids! And take forever to put together!
exams_6700
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
not really if ya get a pack of balloons, pack of crayons.. packs of everything could cost about 10 quid max
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
It's a really cute idea, and I did do this for my tutor group when I left my long PGCE placement- but do be aware that this will really quickly add up and get very expensive!

In your situation, I'd first ask the class teacher what they think is appropriate- the school may also have policies against giving out sweets etc.

That's a cute idea but would cost a fortune to do for 30-ish kids! And take forever to put together!
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
30 kit kats and love hearts will cost more than £10 alone. I agree some of it could be done cheaply but not everything on your list.
(Original post by exams_6700)
not really if ya get a pack of balloons, pack of crayons.. packs of everything could cost about 10 quid max
exams_6700
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
true but pick and choose
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
30 kit kats and love hearts will cost more than £10 alone. I agree some of it could be done cheaply but not everything on your list.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (148)
17.62%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.81%
No I am happy with my course choice (497)
59.17%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed