The Student Room Group

Voluntary Placement - Leaving Messages/Gifts

I am thinking about completing a PGCE Primary Education course at University and it was highly recommended for me to gain some experience before applying. Therefore, this summer I am at a primary school where I will be for 4 weeks until the end of the term. I am already half way through.

I am with a Year 6 class and a lot of them are off to my old high school, so I have been giving them tips and information on what it's like, just so it isn't a massive surprise to them.

I am not doing any teaching as such. One, because I have very little knowledge (this is what I would gain during my course) and two, there are very few actual lessons occurring at the minute due to other activities and the time of year it is. However, I have been helping out in the classroom and the children have shown nothing but respect towards me and are always pleasant and well mannered.

I was thinking whilst in bed last night whether I should give them a little card and/or small gift to give to each of the children before the school finishes for summer. The way I look at it is that if I was a teacher and had my own class, I would give them a little card with a message inside for them. But I am a bit unsure with firstly just being a voluntary teaching assistant and secondly, for only being there for a few weeks.

I would appreciate what you guys think!

Thank you!
Since they are kids then do a survival kit, so get party bags and put:
balloon - To help you reach for the sky / remind you not to 'blow up'
1 coloured pencil -To make your day bright and colourful
rubber band - to stretch yourself beyond your limits
candle - to light the way and guide you
love heart sweets - remind you that you are loved
rubber (eraser) - remind you each day you can start a new slate
gum - remind you to stick to your goal and that you can accomplish anything
kit kat - remind you to take a break and not to tire yourself out
string - tie things together when everything is falling apart
sharpener - remind you to stay sharp
skittles - remind you to find the 'rainbow' in any situation
anyways thats just a few, so put whatever in from these (more online) then get a card paper and write survival kit at the top and basically explain why each thing is there

51i9Iw-dUoL.jpg
Original post by NorthEastSir
I am thinking about completing a PGCE Primary Education course at University and it was highly recommended for me to gain some experience before applying. Therefore, this summer I am at a primary school where I will be for 4 weeks until the end of the term. I am already half way through.

I am with a Year 6 class and a lot of them are off to my old high school, so I have been giving them tips and information on what it's like, just so it isn't a massive surprise to them.

I am not doing any teaching as such. One, because I have very little knowledge (this is what I would gain during my course) and two, there are very few actual lessons occurring at the minute due to other activities and the time of year it is. However, I have been helping out in the classroom and the children have shown nothing but respect towards me and are always pleasant and well mannered.

I was thinking whilst in bed last night whether I should give them a little card and/or small gift to give to each of the children before the school finishes for summer. The way I look at it is that if I was a teacher and had my own class, I would give them a little card with a message inside for them. But I am a bit unsure with firstly just being a voluntary teaching assistant and secondly, for only being there for a few weeks.

Thank you!
Original post by NorthEastSir

Thank you!

It's a really cute idea, and I did do this for my tutor group when I left my long PGCE placement- but do be aware that this will really quickly add up and get very expensive!

In your situation, I'd first ask the class teacher what they think is appropriate- the school may also have policies against giving out sweets etc.

Original post by exams_6700
Since they are kids then do a survival kit, so get party bags and put:
balloon - To help you reach for the sky / remind you not to 'blow up'
1 coloured pencil -To make your day bright and colourful
rubber band - to stretch yourself beyond your limits
candle - to light the way and guide you
love heart sweets - remind you that you are loved
rubber (eraser) - remind you each day you can start a new slate
gum - remind you to stick to your goal and that you can accomplish anything
kit kat - remind you to take a break and not to tire yourself out
string - tie things together when everything is falling apart
sharpener - remind you to stay sharp
skittles - remind you to find the 'rainbow' in any situation
anyways thats just a few, so put whatever in from these (more online) then get a card paper and write survival kit at the top and basically explain why each thing is there

51i9Iw-dUoL.jpg

That's a cute idea but would cost a fortune to do for 30-ish kids! And take forever to put together!
not really if ya get a pack of balloons, pack of crayons.. packs of everything could cost about 10 quid max
Original post by SarcAndSpark
It's a really cute idea, and I did do this for my tutor group when I left my long PGCE placement- but do be aware that this will really quickly add up and get very expensive!

In your situation, I'd first ask the class teacher what they think is appropriate- the school may also have policies against giving out sweets etc.

That's a cute idea but would cost a fortune to do for 30-ish kids! And take forever to put together!
30 kit kats and love hearts will cost more than £10 alone. I agree some of it could be done cheaply but not everything on your list.
Original post by exams_6700
not really if ya get a pack of balloons, pack of crayons.. packs of everything could cost about 10 quid max
true but pick and choose
Original post by SarcAndSpark
30 kit kats and love hearts will cost more than £10 alone. I agree some of it could be done cheaply but not everything on your list.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending