Depression without feeling 'depressed'? Watch

Random1318
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I really don't know what might be wrong with me. I feel like I am displaying symptoms of depression but yet I feel pretty content and happy generally.

I have lost a lot of interest and motivation for things that I used to enjoy. For example I am really into songwriting and playing my piano, but now I go to play it and after about 10 minutes I just can't be bothered anymore. Same goes for reading and even playing video games. I used to really enjoy gaming but now I just can't be bothered to focus and pour my attention into a game for more than half an hour.

My sleep pattern is also terrible. I am not doing anything until I return to uni in September and I sleep a lot and find myself waking up in the afternoon, which decreases my motivation to do anything even further.

I am very reclusive and rarely seek communication with others over the phone, messenger etc.

I get plenty of exercise and am otherwise healthy, so I don't know why I am the way I am. I feel so lazy but not by choice. It's been like this for about a year. Is it possible that I am suffering depression even though I don't feel 'depressed'? Like, I feel content and rarely feel down, and I consider myself an optimistic person with healthy self esteem. I'm just frustrsted and want the energy anf motivation to do things again.
Ben878 (LfL)
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
While loosing interest and motivation, and being reclusive, are symptoms of depression, I cannot diagnose whether it is or not

It helps to have some kind of event(s) scheduled in the day that will force you to 'move yourself' - have you considered meeting up with friends, going out to a public event of somekind or work/volunteering? If you have nothing planned you can google "places to visit <your area>" or "classes in <your area>" and lots of things will come up. The social aspect will also help you to stop drifting away

Something 'solid' ahead of you helps, the above is a source/creator of that. I believe hobbies that give basic pleasure are best as a wind down after something when you are tired. Pleasure after pleasure will mean the pleasures will decrease as time goes on and you will get bored

I recommend you get your sleeping schedule fixed because bad sleep really messes up energy (and emotional) levels. Again, something scheduled in the day helps to fix that

Take care
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Go see your doctor.
angelike1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Could be - see your GP.
istanden
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
we can't give you a diagnosis, but if you really think something is wrong, you should definitely see a doctor about it. they can help you.
Arima
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
could be useful keeping a diary of these things, or apps like Daylio, esp if you've felt this way on more than one occasion. though I relate to your frustration with cycling through your hobbies yet nothing 'sticks' or excites you like it used to do. I wouldn't say I'm majorly depressed either but I have adhd.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (152)
17.76%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.76%
No I am happy with my course choice (506)
59.11%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (123)
14.37%

Watched Threads