The Student Room Group

Student Finance

Hi,

I arrived in the uk in 2007 at age 6. Since then we've been living here illegally. I did't know until last year when i was going to apply for student finance during sixth form.

Because i was still an immigrant, I deferred my uni place to this year (uni said home student fees, as i've practically lived here over half my life). 12 years here and 6 in a non EU country.

Our appeals were refused countless numbers of times, solely because I could speak the other countrys language. If so, kick every single person in this country, that can speak another language. But ignored my life here completely until last year Nov. Appeals started from 2014-2018. Alot of money was used. My dads in debt with his friends around £13,000.

Me and my family were granted a 10 year private life route last year in November.

I have a sister (11) and brother (8), who are born here and have had a British passport for over 1 year and half.

Now i'm in my gap year and aged 18 (was the youngest in my year and now will be one of the oldest in the first year of uni :mad:) Couldn't go uni last year, as my education doesn't seem important to the Government and disregards my ability. No wonder, people quit after GCSEs.

I applied for student Finance. But i keep getting asked to provide my immigration status from past 3 years.

Its unfair, based on the fact that all my peers have gone since last year and i've had to make up lies, that i want to take a break this year.

Now, when i go uni in 3 years, all my peers would've finished their education. I'm going to look like a person whose had to retake exams etc to get into uni. Which i clearly didn't. I wanna go this year, not in 2022.

Whats the point of going then? Thats the time i should be getting a job and be thinking about my future. Not to finish my education.

Why is my life so different from my siblings?

I just think this is unfair.

Whats the point of applying for permanent residence when its going to get refused as i haven't completed my 10 years.

I came here at age 6 and by 28, ill be able to get permanent residence.

I've read so much online about this. I've been waiting a year to go uni and now another 3 years?

In order to change this, its going to cost money. Which i don't have.

Its only age 6, when children start writing sentences, why can't i be treated the same as them?

But Rules are Rules.

My parents should be kept with limited leave to remain but i deserve to be a British citizen. It wasn't me that bought me into this situation. Why should i pay for my parents deeds.

Now, the Main question:

Does it look like i'll leave Britain?

I clearly won't. All the connections are here. Not in the country that my parents wanted to move away from.

I know, that there is nothing you can do. I've already answered my question for you.

But in my own individual circumstance, can something be done? I'm ready to sign a contract if needed. If not, ask the Home Office to confirm that i won't leave.

Why does the government think its a 'need' to ruin my life?

Have i got no right to education?

Is there no such thing as Human Rights?

Obviously, no one will bother replying to this.

Thank you so much for reading this.
Original post by Rae guan
Hi,

I arrived in the uk in 2007 at age 6. Since then we've been living here illegally. I did't know until last year when i was going to apply for student finance during sixth form.

Because i was still an immigrant, I deferred my uni place to this year (uni said home student fees, as i've practically lived here over half my life). 12 years here and 6 in a non EU country.

Our appeals were refused countless numbers of times, solely because I could speak the other countrys language. If so, kick every single person in this country, that can speak another language. But ignored my life here completely until last year Nov. Appeals started from 2014-2018. Alot of money was used. My dads in debt with his friends around £13,000.

Me and my family were granted a 10 year private life route last year in November.

I have a sister (11) and brother (8), who are born here and have had a British passport for over 1 year and half.

Now i'm in my gap year and aged 18 (was the youngest in my year and now will be one of the oldest in the first year of uni :mad:) Couldn't go uni last year, as my education doesn't seem important to the Government and disregards my ability. No wonder, people quit after GCSEs.

I applied for student Finance. But i keep getting asked to provide my immigration status from past 3 years.

Its unfair, based on the fact that all my peers have gone since last year and i've had to make up lies, that i want to take a break this year.

Now, when i go uni in 3 years, all my peers would've finished their education. I'm going to look like a person whose had to retake exams etc to get into uni. Which i clearly didn't. I wanna go this year, not in 2022.

Whats the point of going then? Thats the time i should be getting a job and be thinking about my future. Not to finish my education.

Why is my life so different from my siblings?

I just think this is unfair.

Whats the point of applying for permanent residence when its going to get refused as i haven't completed my 10 years.

I came here at age 6 and by 28, ill be able to get permanent residence.

I've read so much online about this. I've been waiting a year to go uni and now another 3 years?

In order to change this, its going to cost money. Which i don't have.

Its only age 6, when children start writing sentences, why can't i be treated the same as them?

But Rules are Rules.

My parents should be kept with limited leave to remain but i deserve to be a British citizen. It wasn't me that bought me into this situation. Why should i pay for my parents deeds.

Now, the Main question:

Does it look like i'll leave Britain?

I clearly won't. All the connections are here. Not in the country that my parents wanted to move away from.

I know, that there is nothing you can do. I've already answered my question for you.

But in my own individual circumstance, can something be done? I'm ready to sign a contract if needed. If not, ask the Home Office to confirm that i won't leave.

Why does the government think its a 'need' to ruin my life?

Have i got no right to education?

Is there no such thing as Human Rights?

Obviously, no one will bother replying to this.

Thank you so much for reading this.

Hi,

Can you confirm your nationality and your current status in the UK?

Regards, Aisha
Indian and on leave to remain. As you can see, i'm socially settled me but i was granted stay last year after 4 years of appeals. My life here was neglected for 4 years.
Original post by Aisha SFE
Hi,

Can you confirm your nationality and your current status in the UK?

Regards, Aisha
Thank you for replying! Thank you so much
Indian and on leave to remain. As you can see, i'm socially settled me but i was granted stay last year after 4 years of appeals. My life here was neglected for 4 years.

Hi there,

Can you please confirm what your status in the UK has been for the past 3 years?

Thanks, Ashley.
I don’t know, probably illegal.

We have had ongoing applications since 2014, and kept appealing before the given date.

That still makes us illegal right?

Or a migrant as the home office had known about us since 2014, and were trying to make a decision?

I really don’t know

What do you think?
I don’t know, probably illegal.

We have had ongoing applications since 2014, and kept appealing before the given date.

That still makes us illegal right?

Or a migrant as the home office had known about us since 2014, and were trying to make a decision?

I really don’t know

What do you think?

You would need to have been lawfully resident in the UK for 3 years before the academic year in order to be eligible for funding.

You would also need to send us evidence to prove that you have been living in the UK for at least half of your life prior to the first day of the first academic year of your course.

I cannot comment on your status as it is not something we are trained in and it is up to the Home Office to determine this. I notice you have been posting about a Home Office check, do you know when this was submitted?

Thanks, Ashley.

Quick Reply