Why is Ariel black? Watch

Sheilaaaaahh
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Serious question. The Disney live action Ariel is black even though the character is white. That just doesn’t make sense to me. If a white person played Tiana or Mulan, people would go crazy. Why is it ‘racist’ to want an Ariel that looks like how she did in the animated movies? It’s such a shame, seeing as diversity includes hair colour, and natural redheads are rare (so it’d still be diverse to have a redhead Ariel in live action).
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Captain Holt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sheilaaaaahh)
Serious question. The Disney live action Ariel is black even though the character is white. That just doesn’t make sense to me. If a white person played Tiana or Mulan, people would go crazy. Why is it ‘racist’ to want an Ariel that looks like how she did in the animated movies? It’s such a shame, seeing as diversity includes hair colour, and natural redheads are rare (so it’d still be diverse to have a redhead Ariel in live action).
Ariel is a fish ffs, her skin colour doesn’t matter, whereas with Tiana and Mulan, their race is an important part of their stories.
watershower
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I do think it’s a bit of a stretch. They could make one of her sisters black (don’t know how that would work but it’s a suggestion) or create a best friend supporting role and make her black.
I’m black and I love Disney...it’s going to feel weird seeing someone black when I grew up with white red head Ariel. I really don’t like forced diversity...but I don’t know if this is a good step in the right direction. Should we just get used to a black Ariel? Is it good to change history for the sake of diversity? I don’t know...but if Disney wanted to do a live action with a black female lead...hello...Tiana is waiting!!
Sheilaaaaahh
Rep:
?
(Original post by Captain Holt)
Ariel is a fish ffs, her skin colour doesn’t matter, whereas with Tiana and Mulan, their race is an important part of their stories.
She’s a mermaid. And she was a redhead, she was different from her sisters and they thought she looked weird and ugly because of her red hair. It’s a huge part of her story too.
yotsr123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
She’s a mermaid. And she was a redhead, she was different from her sisters and they thought she looked weird and ugly because of her red hair. It’s a huge part of her story too.
the actor dyed her hair red for the role
sunshinehss
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I can't wait Halle is going to be amazing🦄😤💅🏾

What are your thoughts on Cinderella, the Roger and Hammerstein version? The cast is so diverse and it's honestly so epic. Talent is talent and Halle defo has got it.
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
couldn't actually care less about the colour of any character, tbh. But would have been nice to see a redhead.
Sheilaaaaahh
Rep:
?
(Original post by watershower)
I do think it’s a bit of a stretch. They could make one of her sisters black (don’t know how that would work but it’s a suggestion) or create a best friend supporting role and make her black.
I’m black and I love Disney...it’s going to feel weird seeing someone black when I grew up with white red head Ariel. I really don’t like forced diversity...but I don’t know if this is a good step in the right direction. Should we just get used to a black Ariel? Is it good to change history for the sake of diversity? I don’t know...but if Disney wanted to do a live action with a black female lead...hello...Tiana is waiting!!
Exactly. I do feel like it’s a bit forced. Princess and the frog was my third fav Disney movie when I was younger and I’d love to see a live action.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have more important things to worry about
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Because blue font looks crap.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Because blue font looks crap.
I enjoyed this more than I should have.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s a disgrace, she looks nothing like the washing up liquid.
olivia.francesca
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Characters such as Mulan and Tiana their race is central to the films plot and their character development so could not be changed under any circumstances. Ariel is literally a fish
Sheilaaaaahh
Rep:
?
(Original post by olivia.francesca)
Characters such as Mulan and Tiana their race is central to the films plot and their character development so could not be changed under any circumstances. Ariel is literally a fish
She’s a mermaid not a fish and for most of the film she is a human. She was still white in the film, with her red hair separating her from her sisters, that is important for the plot. Even if there was a princess of colour and their colour meant nothing for the plot, if it was changed in live action people would get mad. The film was set in Denmark in the 1800s, so there’s no reason why a black girl would be the main character when people from Denmark are all white.
olivia.francesca
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
She’s a mermaid not a fish and for most of the film she is a human. She was still white in the film, with her red hair separating her from her sisters, that is important for the plot. Even if there was a princess of colour and their colour meant nothing for the plot, if it was changed in live action people would get mad. The film was set in Denmark in the 1800s, so there’s no reason why a black girl would be the main character when people from Denmark are all white.
Yeah because Disney was so accurate in making it danish with all their English speaking actors with American accents in the original 🙄 also black people can have red hair? Are you stupid?
Sheilaaaaahh
Rep:
?
Yeah because Disney was so accurate in making it danish with all their English speaking actors with American accents in the original 🙄 also black people can have red hair? Are you stupid?
Obviously they’re English speaking for the English audiences... are you stupid?? And I said that the fact that she is WHITE with red hair is important.
olivia.francesca
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Obviously they’re English speaking for the English audiences... are you stupid?? And I said that the fact that she is WHITE with red hair is important.
It’s really not lmao
Sheilaaaaahh
Rep:
?
It’s really not lmao
It is because I literally said she’s from Denmark In the 1800s so it’s not really like a black girl would be there at that time. Her dad is Triton and her Mum is Athena, both Greek gods/goddesses. That’s part of her story, and it’s very important in the plot of the movie.
Last edited by Sheilaaaaahh; 1 month ago
JoelBigSmokeTea
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why couldn't Disney get a REAL mermaid instead of a real person with two feet.
Tootles
Badges: 21
Report 1 month ago
Yeah they didn't even get the ending right. Ariel should have turned into foam and got washed away for her vanity.

There's a lot of forced inclusiveness in films though. I watched the new Mary Poppins film a couple of weeks ago, and was surprised how many blacks there were in that. Let's just take a moment to remember, at this point, that that film is set in the 1930s, when there were very very few blacks in this country, even in the cities.

At the end of the day though, it's all entertainment. If we're going to let this spoil our enjoyment of these films, we should maybe reconsider why we're watching them. I'd rather have a competant black actress than a wooden actress who looks perfect for the part, any day. And Halle Berry is a very good actress. So let's all wind our necks in.

And now let's take another moment to reflect, this time on mermaids themselves. They're a different race. They can be black, or green, or blue. Their king could go by the name Roy G. Biv if he wanted to.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.41%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.52%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (86)
19.07%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (181)
40.13%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.66%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.21%