Cambridge Language requirement Watch

Riccardodematte
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hello everyone,

I applied for a PhD programme at Cambridge university and I received a conditional offer. Among other requirements, I am asked to meet a language requirement since I am Italian. I took the IELTS exam two weeks ago and I scored well in reading(8.5) listening(8.0) and speaking(7.0), but unfortunately I got 6.5 in the writing module ( a minimum of 7 is required). Since the deadline is set on the 31st July I am quite desperate! I am wondering if someone of you was in my same situation and could give me an advise. Should I submit my result and ask for an assessment by the Language Centre or try to resist the IELTS exam? Thank you in advance for your replies

Best wishes!

Riccardo
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Submit your result and wait and see what they do.
Riccardodematte
Rep:
?
Thank you for your suggestion! Do you think that for a 0.5 in writing my position/offer could be jeopardized?
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Riccardodematte)
Thank you for your suggestion! Do you think that for a 0.5 in writing my position/offer could be jeopardized?
No. I think you are overthinking things. If they have any concerns then they will tell you. I presume then, that you could be tested on the particular part that you are marginally weaker on; the writing. Meanwhile ,what you should do is find a private tutor to assess the overall quality of your writing so that, in any event, you know which areas need to be improved. I think it is best, meanwhile, not to pre-empt what the doctoral team panel will do about 0.5 points- it may be nothing!?
Riccardodematte
Rep:
?
Thank you for your invaluable help!
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you for your invaluable help!
You are welcome. I started my PhD in May this year. That's when things start getting really interesting and challenging in a nice way.
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello everyone,

I applied for a PhD programme at Cambridge university and I received a conditional offer. Among other requirements, I am asked to meet a language requirement since I am Italian. I took the IELTS exam two weeks ago and I scored well in reading(8.5) listening(8.0) and speaking(7.0), but unfortunately I got 6.5 in the writing module ( a minimum of 7 is required). Since the deadline is set on the 31st July I am quite desperate! I am wondering if someone of you was in my same situation and could give me an advise. Should I submit my result and ask for an assessment by the Language Centre or try to resist the IELTS exam? Thank you in advance for your replies

Best wishes!

Riccardo
Contact the uni and ask. No one can predict what they will say.
Agnesyiyaya
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello friend,I am in the same situation as yours. I'm wondering what's going on later? Have they accepted your score?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.75%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.6%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.54%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.11%

Watched Threads