Iran summons UK ambassador over 'seizure' of super tanker Grace-1 Watch

fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Palmyra)
Tick tock for the UK, about 1 week left, I hope they choose wisely...
do you live in the UK?
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 hours ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
What reason would the Iranians have to send the vessel around the cape unless it was to hide its destination? The standard practice (far, far cheaper and quicker) is to go through the Suez canal, and even transhipping into smaller vessels for the transit is normal, significantly cheaper and quicker than sending a big tanker south of Africa.
Interesting fact i came across, did you know that overly large oil tankers cannot traverse Suez but have to offload their cargo and have it pumped from end to the other? And said pipeline is partly owned by KSA... whom forbid Iran from using it?
(The Economist, 2019)
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 hours ago
(Original post by Napp)
Interesting fact i came across, did you know that overly large oil tankers cannot traverse Suez but have to offload their cargo and have it pumped from end to the other? And said pipeline is partly owned by KSA... whom forbid Iran from using it?
(The Economist, 2019)
I did not know Iran is banned from the canal but I think I alluded to the common need for trans-shipping of large tanker loads in an earlier post.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (152)
17.74%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.75%
No I am happy with my course choice (506)
59.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (124)
14.47%

Watched Threads