scared(?) to sleep Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
recently I've been keeping myself awake until 2, 3, 4am or even later (when i usually require an awful lot of sleep to avoid that groggy morning feeling) because I'm too scared to sleep and I'm not sure what to do or if that's actually how you'd describe it? I've struggled getting out of bed for a while which on its own I think is relatively normal, but recently I've become overly obsessed with hating waking up and starting a new day, so I keep myself awake to give myself comfort in that I still have more time left before I have to face it
dunno, it's a silly thing, but it's a bit of a cycle that makes me feel worse during the day and then dread waking up even more during the night because I'll feel like that again, and I'm..not certain what to do?
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I guess you need to figure out what is it that's keeping you awake. Why do you hate waking up? Are you depressed? Something else? When you know what the cause is you can try and understand it and process the thoughts. Then you can work on sleep hygiene and keeping a sleep schedule. Probably will take time. Are you struggling in any other areas, like appetite?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Pathway)
I guess you need to figure out what is it that's keeping you awake. Why do you hate waking up? Are you depressed? Something else? When you know what the cause is you can try and understand it and process the thoughts. Then you can work on sleep hygiene and keeping a sleep schedule. Probably will take time. Are you struggling in any other areas, like appetite?
first, thank you for replying!
I used to struggle with a small appetite/intentionally restricting but now I think I've got a rather large appetite? I've had a bit of a history of going through phases of different self destructive behaviours; I've had issues with self harm and the likes too. i think I might just feel anxious about having to experience everything I'll end up feeling during the day and having to push myself to do the things I have to even when I don't ever have any motivation to do them..or something? the time I get alone in my bed is a lot quieter and less eventful, and I don't really like giving it up even though i know its kind of pointless to avoid sleep since I'll have to do it eventually either way
I've not been diagnosed with anything but that's because I've never seen anyone about these things so I can't really be sure what's up with me or if there's anything I actually am in that regard
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
first, thank you for replying!
I used to struggle with a small appetite/intentionally restricting but now I think I've got a rather large appetite? I've had a bit of a history of going through phases of different self destructive behaviours; I've had issues with self harm and the likes too. i think I might just feel anxious about having to experience everything I'll end up feeling during the day and having to push myself to do the things I have to even when I don't ever have any motivation to do them..or something? the time I get alone in my bed is a lot quieter and less eventful, and I don't really like giving it up even though i know its kind of pointless to avoid sleep since I'll have to do it eventually either way
I've not been diagnosed with anything but that's because I've never seen anyone about these things so I can't really be sure what's up with me or if there's anything I actually am in that regard
No worries! You're welcome.

Sorta sounds like anxiety without the attached thoughts perhaps? Hmm. I mean, for me, when my anxiety is worse I try to use visualisation techniques, like putting the feelings (and if possible any thoughts) into a bottle and imagining said bottle getting taken away by a river in my head. It's a form of mindfulness. Granted, it doesn't always work, still give myself panic attacks on a regular basis, but I'm working on it.

Perhaps you could use a similar technique to calm yourself down and relax yourself enough to go to sleep?

If there are things you worry about then looking at them for what they are might be helpful. Maybe search up on Google about emotion processing? It could help you with your feelings towards going to sleep/waking up.

Honestly it might take a long time to improve, but being aware of it being an issue is the first step in correcting it.

I do think that you should try to seek help from your GP. It sounds like there's potentially a few things going on. You're always welcome to message or quote me.

Sorry if this is all over the place, ironically I've not slept haha!
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Pathway)
No worries! You're welcome.

Sorta sounds like anxiety without the attached thoughts perhaps? Hmm. I mean, for me, when my anxiety is worse I try to use visualisation techniques, like putting the feelings (and if possible any thoughts) into a bottle and imagining said bottle getting taken away by a river in my head. It's a form of mindfulness. Granted, it doesn't always work, still give myself panic attacks on a regular basis, but I'm working on it.

Perhaps you could use a similar technique to calm yourself down and relax yourself enough to go to sleep?

If there are things you worry about then looking at them for what they are might be helpful. Maybe search up on Google about emotion processing? It could help you with your feelings towards going to sleep/waking up.

Honestly it might take a long time to improve, but being aware of it being an issue is the first step in correcting it.

I do think that you should try to seek help from your GP. It sounds like there's potentially a few things going on. You're always welcome to message or quote me.

Sorry if this is all over the place, ironically I've not slept haha!
I appreciate the tips! I'll definitely try it out and see if anything works
and I'm glad to hear you're working on yourself, too; I hope things get better for you in time
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (153)
17.83%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.74%
No I am happy with my course choice (506)
58.97%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (124)
14.45%

Watched Threads